Why I will not, ever, buy civilization V

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not what my late game looks like. I've seen the screenshots too but it just never seems like a good idea to build a huge army, they're expensive and you'll never be able to use the units behind the first two lines. Sometimes, the AI does it anyway, though.

Exactly. I've been playing CIV5 almost non-stop since release day and I've never seen the AI do that. Not once - on Standard, Large or Huge maps and on Chieftain, Warlord, King or Immortal difficulty. Not once.

Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but I certainly value the opinions of people who have actually tried the game over those who just wanted to create a thread to whine.

I certainly value the opinions of people who have actually tried the game over those who just wanted to create a thread to whine.

Everybody's entitled to their opinion. ;)
This thread isn't really for you. You seem to enjoy Civ V. Good on you. Like I said in the OP, there are many who seem to like it, more power to you. I'm not trying to convince you you are a wrong.

I pretty much agree with OP but hey se la vie.
If you look at it from the positive side: there are people who are enjoying the game, good for them, and there are some deeply dissatisfied which is a chance for maybe new project a new start. There is a lot very skilful people in this comunity. Why do I have to wait for new game or it's beta version for 5-6 years. We need more dynamism, competition etc.

Everybody's entitled to their opinion. ;)
This thread isn't really for you. You seem to enjoy Civ V. Good on you. Like I said in the OP, there are many who seem to like it, more power to you. I'm not trying to convince you you are a wrong.

So you're not denying that you're just creating a thread to whine and pretty much admitting your experiences with the game, if any, is negligible.

No you're not entitled to anything. I'm sorry.

So you're not denying that you're just creating a thread to whine and pretty much admitting your experiences with the game, if any, is negligible.

No you're not entitled to anything. I'm sorry.

Thanks Dexsters. Your inability to deny me my opinion, while trying desperately to appear to have the ability, is noted, and scoffed at.

:lol:

Civ V will be the best Civ game ever....if firaxis supports it with blizzard-like dedication.

Yeah. Ha. Ha.

You think that the money people who were quite willing to destroy Firaxis' reputation in order to prop up their rather shaky bottom line are going to invest that kind of money?

Thanks Dexsters. Your inability to deny me my opinion, while trying desperately to appear to have the ability, is noted, and scoffed at.

:lol:

Well sadly not all opinion are equal. That's what I'm trying to get at. And as you keep dodging the issue, and or never refuted the claim you've not really tried the game, what value exactly is your opinion?

Well sadly not all opinion are equal. That's what I'm trying to get at. And as you keep dodging the issue, and or never refuted the claim you've not really tried the game, what value exactly is your opinion?

I'm not dodging anything. I already said I never played the demo, nor had any desire to. As far as the value of my opinion, I'd say it shares about the same value as a "belly button" ;)

A more crude turn of phrase uses another body part, but it goes something like this: everybody has one, and they all stink.

You're not allowed to complain about something you haven't played yet.

Yes, and having 30 artillery and 45 infantry stacked on one single tile in CiV IV did not break immersion for you?

I will say this once, and hopefully only once;

Civ V will be the best Civ game ever....if firaxis supports it with blizzard-like dedication.

Wow you are not allowed to complain about it unless you buy it? So I didn't buy a Pinto, but I can't complain about the POS? I think he has every right to complain about a game, which is a member of long line of series. If you bought the last editions you should have something to say about this one too. Personally I wish I were like him and didn't buy the darn thing.

It took one week for me to become entirely bored and ticked off with the game. I have just reinstalled Civ IV with RIse of Mankind because at least that is fun.

I don't understand what all the hoopla is over the hex tile or the one unit per square for that matter. You are going to tell me that one group of archers takes up miles, and miles of land .. or if there are workers there that my general can't pass through? Wow these are some friggin big armies. I still don't see how hexes are better than squares or how squares are better than hexes for that matter. Personally I like being able to go due south or due north.

The main point of his post is that it doesn't sound fun .. and you know what? It is terribly boring and almost as if getting a lobotomy. The last time I felt this was when I played Heroes of Might and Magic 4 .. which killed the company that made the other series (which were damn good).

Well enough said for me. Flame all you want; after all opinions are like #$%holes.
Moderator Action: Inappropriate language, and using special characters doesn't make it ok

As far as the value of my opinion, I'd say it shares about the same value as a "belly button"

Not true. You can store salt for your boiled eggs or your celery in your belly button, you cannot store salt in your opinion. The belly button is far more valuable.

As far as Civ5 goes, I eagerly await Civ6.

Hopefully Civ6 will keep hex tiles, will keep 1 unit per tile, will add the ability to group combat and non-combat units so you can send them off together, and will vastly reduce the hex size. The hexes right now are very large compared to the squares in Civ4. (Proof of position, Earth map, Civ4, Italy was 2 squares wide. Civ5 it isn't.)

Interesting opinion, what I found most interesting is that the very points you describe as fun
  • Stacks of Doom
  • Religion
  • Domination victories
were the very ones I found least appealing in Civ IV.

To me, Stacks of Doom, lacked any strategic thought beyond "who can build the biggest stack". I was not a fan of how religion was implemented into Civ IV either, but then again I can not say I'm a fan of religion in general. My issue with pursuing a religious strategy is that is basically employed the same mind set as stacks of doom, except rather than "He who has the most armies wins" it was "He who has the most temples wins"

What I find fun about Civ V is that it abandons Civ IV's victory through quantity approach. I find that in Civ V you need to carefully consider what you choose to build. Civ IV in most respects didn't really penalize you for building something just because you could (up to a point). In Civ V though you take a fairly significant hit for over production.

We may sit on opposite sides of the fence here because I do not equate strategy to conquest. I rarely start out pursuing a domination/conquest strategy, if that's the way the game turns then so be it, but I typically find pursuing the other victory types to be more fun.

Archers shooting over lakes is a stretch at best and I had to scratch my head when I the first time I saw archers shoot over a mountain, but the game is intended as an abstraction of the real world, not a simulation, and Civ IV had its share of oh,thats stupid stuff going on as well.

I like the way Civ V looks, for me the graphics are much better than those in IV, and the interface, though it still needs some polish, is also a step forward.

Wow you are not allowed to complain about it unless you buy it? So I didn't buy a Pinto, but I can't complain about the POS? I think he has every right to complain about a game, which is a member of long line of series. If you bought the last editions you should have something to say about this one too. Personally I wish I were like him and didn't buy the darn thing.

It took one week for me to become entirely bored and ticked off with the game. I have just reinstalled Civ IV with RIse of Mankind because at least that is fun.

I don't understand what all the hoopla is over the hex tile or the one unit per square for that matter. You are going to tell me that one group of archers takes up miles, and miles of land .. or if there are workers there that my general can't pass through? Wow these are some friggin big armies. I still don't see how hexes are better than squares or how squares are better than hexes for that matter. Personally I like being able to go due south or due north.

The main point of his post is that it doesn't sound fun .. and you know what? It is terribly boring and almost as if getting a lobotomy. The last time I felt this was when I played Heroes of Might and Magic 4 .. which killed the company that made the other series (which were damn good).

Well enough said for me. Flame all you want; after all opinions are like #$%holes.

You seem to be quite knowledgable when it comes to the ways of #$%holes
Moderator Action: Warned for flaming and inappropriate language
Mr. Praline : I wish to make a complaint!

Owner : (hurriedly) Sorry, we're closin' for lunch...!

Mr. Praline : Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this parrot, what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

Owner : Oh yes, the, ah, the Norwegian Blue... What's, ah... W-what's wrong with it?

Mr. Praline : I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. It's dead, that's what's wrong with it.

Owner : No, no, 'e's ah... he's resting

- Monty Python "Dead Parrot" sketch

Not true. You can store salt for your boiled eggs or your celery in your belly button, you cannot store salt in your opinion. The belly button is far more valuable.

Well stated and practical advice

Hopefully Civ6 will keep hex tiles, will keep 1 unit per tile, will add the ability to group combat and non-combat units so you can send them off together
I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that we could see this in an expansion pack.

Interesting opinion, what I found most interesting is that the very points you describe as fun
  • Stacks of Doom
  • Religion
  • Domination victories

well... hmmm... you got one right. Religion.
I can understand how if you read what I wrote poorly, you would think I liked stacks of doom.
But I don't see how anything I wrote seemed to be an endorsement of domination victories.

Cmon already.... I think some people forgot about our talented mod community! There is already a mod to stack units, plus 200 or more other goodies right now! I can't think of any other game with such potential.:king:

Cmon already.... I think some people forgot about our talented mod community! There is already a mod to stack units, plus 200 or more other goodies right now! I can't think of any other game with such potential.:king:

Quoted for truth. The new mod support for this game is fantastic. Sure, it shipped buggy for a lot of people... but within a week or so we had two patches that fixed most problems, and now mods are easily accessed by everyone, even non-civfanatics!

I think they nailed that part pretty much perfectly.

You made the right decision Neomega. I wasn't very enthusiastic about Civ V but I bought it anyway because I have always bought civ when a new one came out. 2K got my $50 and I got a boring video game that I have already stopped playing. It doesn't feel like I am controlling an empire, there is nothing in the game in terms of resources, wonders, technologies, etc that I feel like I have to get. I was just going through the motions when I was playing. For me it is back to Civ IV now.

It will be interesting to see if they can recover from this, I think they might have killed the franchise's reputation among it's long term fans. There have always been whiners when a new Civ came out but this is something different.

If you have to mod a game to make it fun to play then it isn't a very good game. I can still enjoy unmodded Civ IV.

You made the right decision Neomega. I wasn't very enthusiastic about Civ V but I bought it anyway because I have always bought civ when a new one came out. 2K got my $50 and I got a boring video game that I have already stopped playing. It doesn't feel like I am controlling an empire, there is nothing in game in terms of resources, wonders, technologies, etc that I feel like I have to get. I was just going through the motions when I was playing. For me it is back to Civ IV now.

It will be interesting to see if they can recover from this, I think they might have killed the franchise's reputation among it's long term fans. There have always been whiners when a new Civ came out but this is something different.

They didn't kill the franchise. There will be a ciVIlization, and they'll do better. *

Cmon already.... I think some people forgot about our talented mod community! There is already a mod to stack units, plus 200 or more other goodies right now! I can't think of any other game with such potential.

So this really has given me pause about my definitive statement. But I guess what troubles me is a game designed around 1upt, I am not sure how imbalanced a stack mod would get... and definitely, it seems it would require a ground up recoding of the AI.

But I guess what really bugs me, is it didn't have to be either SoD or 1upt. A little creativity could have gone a long ways.

And I have been reading pluses and minuses all day today. I just keep running into many more things that make me cringe than make me curious.

*wow, civilization is the perfect word for an ongoing franchise:
ciVllization, CiVlllzation, but they will haev to do something different for Civ 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom