1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Irrigate Bonus Food Resources?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Meshen85, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Meshen85

Meshen85 Chieftain

After a few online PTW sessions and some chatting with a few humanoids, I found out that it's wise to irrigate bonus food resources, rather than mine them. I'm still a noob, so forgive the dumb question, but why is this so? Thanks!

2. Reprisal

Reprisal Chieftain

It depends on when you'll be doing the irrigating. If you're still in Despotism, it's probably better to mine them. If you're out of Despotism, however, then irrigating them will allow your cities to grow faster and you'll be able to start mining hills and mountains for the shields.

- Rep.

3. Own

Own Grasshoppah

In despotism you should irrigate food bonues because it makes a food difference, unlike when you irrigate regualar grawssland.

4. DJMGator13

DJMGator13 Not playing enough Civ

There is an excellent writeup by Cracker in the War Academy about this. There is a nice table in the Terrain Type section which shows the effect of mining and irrigating the different terrain types. I've printed out the table and keep it by my computer whenever I start a new game. Here's the link.

5. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Growth is the reason. Even in despotism you get an extra food from an irrigated food bonus. Being +2 food Vs +3 is a big deal in those first 100 turns.

Having an extra shields by mining a cow is not as useful at that stage. Later you may want to come back and mine that cow. Say you now have 6 cities and can get by with settlers/workers form those place and want to crank out troops or even a wonder. Now the +3 food at size 10 may not be as valuable as the extra shield.

Or even later after you are size 12 and still have extra food.

6. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

The food bonus resources you should not irrigate are plains wines, desert oasis, and anything in the water. Anything else, irrigate, unless:

(Number of grassland wheats + cattle) + (Plains wheats + cattle + Grassland wines)/2 + (3 * number of flood plain wheats) = An even number

Then, at least one should be mined.

7. Shillen

Shillen Chieftain

The basic reason for irrigating them is that your expansion in the early game is most limited by how much food you have. The more food you have the more workers and settlers you can produce. So you should irrigate any tile that will get +1 food from it. This means irrigate any tile you can except tiles that produce exactly 2 food, as irrigating those tiles will give no benefit due to the despotism penalty. There are two guides in the war academy that are absolutely essential knowledge to play on the higher difficulty levels.

Cracker's opening plays:
    http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/strategy/cracker/civ3_starts/index.htm

Bamspeedy's settler factories:
    http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/strategy/deity_settlers1.php

edit: If you want to get technical if you are already at +5 food surplus then you should stop irrigating and maximize production instead. So if you have two grassland cows then you only need to irrigate one and mine the other. You'll understand why if you read Bamspeedy's article linked above.

8. jeffelammar

jeffelammar Space for rent

To beat this subject to death :)

The fundamental thing is that in most cases the power of 1 more food is much more useful than 1 more shield. (There are examples where this is false, but probably 95% of the time it is true.)

For building settlers and workers, in most cases the limiting factor is how fast your city can grow the necessary population. Shields are usually not a problem for these particular projects. (Though settlers can get close)

I find that in most cases (again with the disclaimer) I think that I am better off irrigating ALL the food bonuses (except those whose extra food will be lost to the despotism penalty) and then building a city with a little overlap to share the excess food. The excess food in that other city can allow you to work a forest or mined hill to boost production.

One more article on the subject.

9. Meshen85

Meshen85 Chieftain

Awesome advice guys. I never realised this could make such a huge difference on how your game progresses. The two linked articles were a great help. Cheers :D

10. DJMGator13

DJMGator13 Not playing enough Civ

You should also check out the TDG link in my sig. It has alot of great advice and examples of settler factories as well as a 4 turn warrior/settler factory. It is a very long thread but it has a ton of knowledge.