Why is almost everybody against more police ?

This reminded me of a story by Ray Bradbury in which one lone human decides to walk by night instead of staying in and watching TV and he's arrested by an unmanned patrol car.

Well yes, that's the way things are going when we give over community patrol which theoretically seeks to engage with the public long enough to build relationships to algorithmic policing.

Yeah, this actually demonstrates the problem. That "going to bat" is great, when the extra legal activity involves a cop on your side.
I don't see it as a problem. If you have a cop in your neighborhood who looks after the neighborhood and it's people, win win in my book.

Your name dropping clown doesn't need an actual cop to threaten you. There's always going to be asshats.

"Hey meatbag, what you are doing in this district?"
It's ‘what are you doing outside’, actually. The story ends when the man gives up and walks into the car's back (prison) seat.
Well yes, that's the way things are going when we give over community patrol which theoretically seeks to engage with the public long enough to build relationships to algorithmic policing.
And societal disintegration and people staying in front of their screens all day. Bradbury just didn't anticipate that the screens would be portable.

I don't see it as a problem. If you have a cop in your neighborhood who looks after the neighborhood and it's people, win win in my book.

Your name dropping clown doesn't need an actual cop to threaten you. There's always going to be asshats.

So if me and the neighbor are having some sort of disagreement it gets resolved in favor of whoever has buttkissed the cop down the block best?

You're pointing to a minor exception to disprove the more normal outcome. I still claim it's more beneficial. Again, there will always be asshats.

You're pointing to a minor exception to disprove the more normal outcome. I still claim it's more beneficial. Again, there will always be asshats.

There will always be asshats. And we have developed ways to deal with asshats. My neighbor and I have to sort out how to resolve our differences without coming to blows, generally speaking...or calling the cops and ruining both of our lives. But if one of us knows that Bobby the cop down the block is available and won't give a darn about any legalities, but will cheerfully stroll down the street and lend the weight of his gun and badge in favor of his barbecue buddy, that changes the dynamics. Now we're all reduced to competing for Bobby the cop's favor.

Yeah, that happens every day. As I said it's probably more beneficial. But whatever.

Yeah, that happens every day. As I said it's probably more beneficial. But whatever.

It kinda does happen every day if there's a cop living in the neighborhood. Human nature. Everybody wants an edge, just in case. I favor keeping them all together, like on a reservation.

Top Bottom