1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

why is england so weak in civ v?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by UrbanX, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanX

UrbanX Absolute Monarch

elizabeth's unique trait just sucks. any other leader can gain it by building great lighthouse and or going through the commerce policy. i understand the devs wanted each civ to play uniquely but why not give a trait thats both uniquie and beneficial to the player when they play as that civ. +2 movement for all naval units?? really? this is suppose to compare to +2 culture for every city you build, or units always fighting at full strength, or 50% longer golden ages. all of those unique traits offer distinct advantages to the civ. + 2 movement for naval units offers very little advantage over other civs. a better unique trait would have been doubling the production speed of naval units for england. or even maintence cost for naval units reduced by 50%.

I've been going down the list of civs trying to win at least one game with every civ. i have yet to win a game-prince level, with england.I would like to know if their are any players who regularly play as england what would be a good strategy for them in winning the game? all input welcome. /rant

2. JohnnyW

JohnnyW Gave up on this game

I don't regularly play with any civ, but if you play on Archipelago you'll really witness her power.

You can build the GL and go Commerce with her as well btw. ;) +4 movement is hax.

3. Polycrates

Polycrates Emperor

Check out this thread for an interesting take on how to play England.

And the longbow is awesome.

4. Selous

Selous King

would go as far to say that the longbowman is overpowered!!

5. Babri

Babri Emperor

Under-powered UA + OP UU (Longbow) = Balanced civ. ;)

6. DarkSchneider

DarkSchneider King

The longbow is crazy good for a really long time. I can typically get four longbowmen in the range of a single enemy city without any enemy ranged unit having a firing line to them. After that it's just a matter of time before the city and all enemy military units in the area fall. I just keep one other melee unit around to strike the final blow.

Also, the UA is a little underpowered, but feels about right on an Archipeligo map.

7. kivanc

kivanc King

yes
    england seems like the weakest one in civ5 while it was so strong in civ4.
    english bowguys seem fine while it still doesn't make england even mediocre.
    i think china is ten times stronger than england in the game.

8. Fluxx

Fluxx Mr. Almost There

Back in Civ 4 there was a concensus that the best players should be able to win with any civ on Immortal difficulty on Immortal and with most on Deity.
    The hidden meaning of the statement is that if you understand the game, you should be able to win without the traits and even better manipulate your given traits to your best advantage.

Any regular map has substantial water covering it, and therefor enemy cities will either be coastal or close to water. Having naval superiority means you are able to bombard cities and units without any repurcussions. Also normal troops gain all the bonuses from the UA, TGL and the commerce trait. This means you can deploy troops over water faster then over land.

The longbow as mentioned before is insanely powerfull, if you notice the map does not allow for proper naval activity, you can always rely on it to give midgame land superiority if used properly

9. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

England the weakest? Look at the Iroquois...

10. Nares

Nares Emperor

England + GLH + that commerce SP gives +4 moves, +2 sight.

You own the oceans with that, provided you have resources to build a modern navy.

Use ships to bombard defenses instead of siege units if you need to break the habit of never building a boat.

11. Bill_in_PDX

Bill_in_PDX Grumpy Submariner

I think England is reasonably strong. They have great UU's

12. Soronery

Soronery Prince

Iroquois are pretty strong if you start next to some forest tiles. Once your longhouse goes down you have 2 production 1 food tiles. lumber mills will give 3 production 1 food tiles. You can get a very powerful production capitol very early with them.

13. flyingbunnys

flyingbunnys Warlord

I agree I have had some really good games with the Iroquois. They have become one of my favorites.

They are not as good now though since the social policy that added +1 :) got nerfed though.

The Forest as roads still saves some cash though and with the longhouse+forest you can lay down some serious production.

14. Smote

Smote Emperor

England is not weak at all. The embarked units move faster too, which makes a huge difference for settling and war. They move as fast at the beginning of the game as for someone who has invented both astronomy and steam power.

15. Reginleif

Reginleif Warlord

England is good on maps with much water, it is the Ukraine that is weak.

16. MAntoninus

MAntoninus Chieftain

Elizabeth seems to get isolated as AI and is usually ganged up on and destroyed - she's cantankerous.

17. tylor

tylor Warlord

Unlike Civ4, in Civ5 navy is overpowered. With several ships you can own everything 3 tiles deep from the coast. Even tsunami priests from FfH are more balanced - they only rape 1 tile deep from coast.

18. killeah

killeah Chieftain

To emphasize the replies here - just lost a multiplayer game to the damn brits, It´s gonna be some time before I fight those nasty longbowmen again - 3 tiles!! oh dear, I tried an assult with everything I got, it´s was seriously like french-kissing a cobra.

Ah well, they´re not that bad. Hah or maybe I just suck :lol:

19. Selous

Selous King

disagree that the navy is OP, get a couple of arty and they will send em packing quick, and they have to go back to friendly territory to heal

my last game was with england in a archipelago and it is a rude shock this game when u first start moving ships around!! sooo sloowww without the +2

20. Soronery

Soronery Prince

Eh longbows are basically weaker horse archers. If you are on land mongols are going to have a better version of England's UU and a beefed up GG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.