Why is everyone furious at me?

Tatran

Deity
I started 2 wars with Russia and England (direct neighbours)
,play as Japan,and got sneak attacked by Greece.I lost Sapporo
(with 3 squares of spices) to Alexander.I'm half way the middle
ages and know every civ(14civs;Cleopatra got killed by Bismarck)
and only had war with the previous 3 civs.Russia and England
both lost probably 10 cities(I razed them to the ground and
build new Japanese cities on the free squares).

Razing cities -> serious atrocity -> everyone furious ???

Yes its because you raised the cities. If you hit F11 or F10, im not sure wich one, but you'll see your approval rating. If you raise cities, declare war often, break deals etc, this will drop. So the lower the % the more the rest of the world hates you.

Why raze the city? Just capture it, install a new governor and then abandon it - no black mark on your reputation AFAIK

Beyond that, they will still always hate you simply because you're there. I long ago gave up worrying about reputation - just make sure YOU build the UN and it doesn't really matter...

Originally posted by Furry Spatula
Yes its because you raised the cities. If you hit F11 or F10, im not sure wich one, but you'll see your approval rating. If you raise cities, declare war often, break deals etc, this will drop. So the lower the % the more the rest of the world hates you.

No that approval rating does not mean what the other civs think of you. That is what % of your people are happy. It is what your people think of you, not what the other civs think of you.

Razing all those cities would have the effect, but also, did you break any deals? Like RoPs? I forgot to do this once and all the other civs went from polite to annoyed. :(

Yzman, hmmm oops, i see. I thought it was other civs as when i broke a treaty my approval rating dropped, but later on popped up, so yeah oops my bad sorry.

IMHO abandon city is black mark too.
I got two cities of Japan by the culture flipping.
I abandone them (they are to close to my other cities),
and Japan become annoyed immediatly

Being a relative newbie, I certainly can't say for sure but it seems to me that just the fact that the city culture-flipped in the first place ticks the other guy off. I know in the game where I played Germany and had huge culture ratings, I flipped about 3 bordering Japanese cities within a few turns of each other and Japan declared war on me when he was previously polite. I had done nothing else, so I presumed that he was mad that he lost his cities. Makes sense...I know I would be.

I raze enemy cities so I get a lot of slave workers.I don't know
if you get any slave workers by abandon cities.Probably one
for one city.

Further I disagree with you <sunround> about the black mark
you get by abandon culture flipped cities.Sometimes it does
and sometimes it doesn't.I remember playing a peaceful game
as India where I had only 3 culture flipped cities.I abandonned
2 of them (bad locations) and still the other civs stay polite to me.
Only Zululand became cautious.Those 3 cities were already
captured and recaptured by other civs before I got them.

About the Japan game.No I didn't break any agreements.
Learned from a previous game (same problem) I now wait the 20 turns for the agreements I made,then I go to diplomacy screen
to cancel all other agreements (more than 20 turn agreements like Right of Passage) except Peace treaty,unless I want war
with specific civ.

Yes I worry about reputation.It's for me the fastest way to win
the game(16 civs/huge map) by building the UN.

likely b/c you are weak, or b/c you have broken deals. i notice that there are many bugs that could cause one to break deals unintentionally.

Originally posted by Tatran
I raze enemy cities so I get a lot of slave workers.I don't know
if you get any slave workers by abandon cities.Probably one
for one city.

You get slave workers by capturing AI workers/Settlers which happen to be in the city when it falls. There is no difference (AFAIK) in this respect between holding the city or razing it.

Abandoning cities gives you nothing extra (apart from one less headache :D ), but you DO keep any units that are in the city at the time

Originally posted by Mephisto
likely b/c you are weak, or b/c you have broken deals. i notice that there are many bugs that could cause one to break deals unintentionally.

They'll also attack you if you're the biggest kid on the block. They like to gang up and bring down the top dog. The problem is, they don't always know when to stop! But then again, YOU won't always have mercy either...

Originally posted by Panth
Being a relative newbie, I certainly can't say for sure but it seems to me that just the fact that the city culture-flipped in the first place ticks the other guy off. I know in the game where I played Germany and had huge culture ratings, I flipped about 3 bordering Japanese cities within a few turns of each other and Japan declared war on me when he was previously polite. I had done nothing else, so I presumed that he was mad that he lost his cities. Makes sense...I know I would be.

Really? That has never ever happened to me before. I've relatively new too and have played every game where at least 5 cities flip to me. In one game I took 9+ cities away from the English to from culture flipping. Never annoyed. Same with the other five games I've played.

Played the Greeks - around 7
Played the Japs - maybe 8
Played the Chinese - only 2 but on an island
Played the Egyptians - 4, maybe

But to answer: the AI can be really stupid. Many times they've gotten annoyed for no obvious reason. Think it's because I haven't talked to them, but I can't see what that has to do with anything.

Maybe during negoiations look over to the Foreign advisor and see if they know anything? Haven't been able to do it like that but maybe it says "We know that the [civ name here] knows that we have betrayed the [betrayed civ's name]"

A part also has to do with the type of government you have. But usually I've seen it to be small part actually....

If you don't have and embassy in each known civ, the concerned AI will not be pleased...

--Kon--

If they're unpleased than they should establish the embassy. In my first game everyone else did for me, sparing me lots of gold. But now [later games] they won't do nothing, so I have to establish them.

Top Bottom