Why is everyone happy with BNW?

TheHanzou

Chieftain
I think this second addon is bad (at least for multiplayer). I cant really understand where the people that give it 10/10 etc are coming from. Here is why i think its bad:

1. Issues with stability and crashes remain the same, game freezes etc are the same as in G&K. Multiplayer Lobby and Options have been improved, but actually only very minor changes compared to what we should have been getting.

2. G&K added Religion and Espionage, which both where completely new mechanics that gave the game more depth. BNW did not add any meaningful mechanics. Caravans dont add anything to the game at all for multiplayer. They are just your +gold or +food now and as a mechanic offer next to no depth for the game.

3. World Congress: World Congress is the only halfway descent feature, but unfortunately it made all multiplayer games exept for FFA games unplayable. Whoever gets to it first (alone or as a team) has automatically won the game since they can select themselves as World Leaders which cannot be stopped by the other player/team. Compare that go G&K, where you would have to build the united nations, but couldnt vote for yourself, which made it a non option in 1vs1/team games etc, but atleast it wasnt broken.

4. almost no new Units: G&K revamped the combat a big deal and added nice new units. BNW did nothing. IT feels like barely anything changed. And its not like there was no room for new units, there was PLENTY of room for new units and Unit strenght reworks which could have improved the balance and add more depth to the game.

5. No revamp of tech tree: G&K revamped the tech tree a good deal, while BNW revamped almost nothing. And in some cases revamps were really needed.

6. Culture victory got even worse for multiplayer: in G&K other players couldnt stop your culture victory easily, they had to fight you over it. With BNW the problem is Tourism is fighting vs Culture. Tourism should be fighting vs Tourism. The way it currently is in multiplayer, the mechanic is absolutely ignorable and useless.

7. No Balance adjustments: Neither the ranged vs melee, nor the Civs, nor the broken Wonders, nor the underpowered useless ones got any fixes. Nothing got any fixes. Half the Civs are still useless, the top 10% are still miles ahead of all others. Spain is still broken, The great wall is still ******ed etc etc.

8. Social policies are still as dumb as ever later in the game. While the early game is now somewhat fixed, the later social policy trees still suffer from the same problem as they did in G&K. No point getting more culture than to finish 1 tree since the later trees offer so little its not worth spending any production on culture buildings. This approach was actually made even more viable now that you get free policies when you choose an ideologie.

So for Multiplayer ,why is it good? No new units, no new techs, Civ balance as bad as always, Culture even worse, Civs and Tech tree as unbalanced as ever, Caravans add no depth, World Congress is broken. Netcode and stability as bad as always. Why is BNW good? Because of pitboss? thats not a BNW feature, it was promised for launch.

Am i missing something? G&K was really a nice addon and it rekindled my love for Civ5 in Multiplayer a big deal, but with BNW i already have no interest in playing anymore because it feels like absolutely nothing changed. We bought it with 4 people, played it once and havent touched it since, its just not interesting at all.

Unfortunately i cannot really disagree.

MP is clearly not the designed audience for civ, and "features" like letting the host kick anyone they want during a game boggle the mind.

The constant syncing issues when one person drops, breaking the sessions are
infuriating, and still result in more games abandoned than ever close to finished.

I've not had a lot of games in MP since the recent patch + BNW, but i don't see much of value for MP either in BNW.
The cultural victory seems like it's still not a viable option in MP (just like it wasn't really before against semi-decent players).

And the hybrid turns during war takes too long since you cannot do anything in your empire during the other persons movement.
It could make sense if the units were blocked from doing anything, but preventing you from doing stuff in your cities, moving your workers, etc, etc. while the other person is doing their turn just slows everything down too much.

So ssd, civv has great mp potential. What are other games that are similar to it but have working mp?

So ssd, civv has great mp potential. What are other games that are similar to it but have working mp?

There are lots of games that are similar, any of the MS Age of Empires games worked much better and are RTS games to boot, which are constantly transmitting data, as apposed to TBS games like Civ that transmit the data only at the end of turns.

The real solution that is more expensive is for 2K to run a server(s) for Civ, that way only lag between the server and individual players will exist and not lag between all the players. Even if they just rewrote the present code, to be as good as Civ4 was as a p2p game, but that costs money too....so we won't see that until the next Civ game....hopefully not too long in the future :-/

CS

Civ has the potential to be one of the best multiplayer PC games out there, but Fireaxis has really screwed the dog on it. I can safely say that my experience with Civ MP has been the worst multiplayer experience I have ever had. It's so sad because I can also say Civ is my favourite game single-player.

civ 6 is probably going to suck too

simultaneous turns will ruin MP just like it did for civ 5

at least civ 4 had stacks

civ 6 is probably going to suck too

simultaneous turns will ruin MP just like it did for civ 5

at least civ 4 had stacks

This made me lol abit. Simultaneous turns exploits were alot more devestating with stacks. Example: Someone declare war on you, 2 seconds later your 3 coastal cities are on enemy hands. :)

Anyways, I agree simultaneous turns need some fixes, like for instance time delays before a unit can move again, even if next turn has started. This to prevent people to wait out turns and making the exploitive "doubble moves". Don't understand why Firaxis made the "shift + move unit" action possible either, to even further improve the possibilities for "doubble move" exploits in MP, With loads of units at once.

maybe the "haiku" was missing some context :)

I played thousands of always war teamgames in civ 4 (there was no sudden DOW surprise factor here...)

the only reason this worked with simultaneous turns was because of stacks (and the 8 second delay)

even if civ 5 wasn't a horribly balanced game and even if the multiplayer was stable, it would still be crap because of the simultaneous turn 1 UPT combat

if civ 6 doesn't move towards crisp & clean interactions (eg. stacks) to prevent the game from turning into a clickfest, it'll have the same problems

I think this second addon is bad (at least for multiplayer). I cant really understand where the people that give it 10/10 etc are coming from. Here is why i think its bad:

who is "people"?

That this addon isnt designed for mp at all but is more like a "trade scenario" addon to G+K is pretty obvious, isnt it?

Or are you talking about the guys who screamed HYBRID MODE YEI, before they even got to test it, or before they even could think about how (some need more time to think things through ...) it actually works?

This expansion pack seems very popular in the NQ Group from what I can see. Games takes longer, there are more to do and think about every turn, more wait time, but still it's most welcomed.

More complexity isnt bad for MP, games only get better, just as they are getting better in SP.
In the opposite case; if they made the game less complex to fit faster mp gaming, it would lose the appeal to me, an appeal that has stood strong since 1991 until this day, and I'd leave the franchise for good. Then I'd dedicate all my MP time to games like Europa Universalis 4.

I am going to have to largely agree with this. I feel that BNW actually did many things which detract from the MP game play. World Congress is massively broken and totally ruins the game when you hit renaissance.

No money from rivers or water tiles means no early war. This slows the game down and makes it much more boring. The old turn 35 - 40 composite rush is now impossible unless you spawn with 6 - 8 luxuries around you to work for gold. This makes the game more luck based since lux = gold and you can't expand and plant on rivers for gold anymore.

Host ability to kick people for attacking them or anything they don't like ruins MP. The idea of a kick is a good one for when people lag, go AFK or just troll but it needs re-worked.

I was hoping Spain would be fixed, Great wall removed, Useless Civs reworked but nothing like that. They need to add options allowing you to disable world congress, disable natural wonders and disable specific civs such as Spain. Those simple options would go a long way to balancing out the game. Do they even look at what the gaming community is doing and saying before making changes??

Why is BNW good? Because of pitboss? thats not a BNW feature, it was promised for launch.

We still don't have Pitboss.

We have a "Pitboss server mode" that is next to useless.

Pitboss is, using 2K own words, "a lightweight standalone application". 2K says they will release it in the future but there is no ETA yet.

Top Bottom