1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

why is it not an act of war

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by MinnesotaRuss, Oct 17, 2019.

1. MinnesotaRuss

MinnesotaRuss Warlord

when a spy is captured doing a nasty in one of my cities? At least, let me think about it or get some reparations from the offender. Maybe a public hanging or a firing squad? I'd like the video of that!!! hehe

2. Ownsya

Ownsya Warlord

Well spies are extremely valuable in trade deals. You can trade them back to their leader for massive amounts of gpt if you want to. I personally prefer holding on to them just so there's one less spy I have to deal with. If they happen to capture one of my own spies you can make a direct swap then spy for spy which is usually worthwhile imo.

3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Let’s say the spy poisoned one of your citizens, perhaps with something radioactive.
    Would that cause a war?
    Would the spy be executed?

4. MinnesotaRuss

MinnesotaRuss Warlord

Shouldn't I have some say in how a captured spy is dealt with? I assume the spy was not caught -- only that he "died" in the attempt. My question is why is there no diplomatic ramification? Certainly in the real world (?), there would be -- even if it's secret.

5. Victoria

I need to check values and degradation but certainly it used to be as follows
    Diplomacy wise the target civ feels -5 against the guilty civ and this degrades at 1 point per 10 turns so is a small but longer lasting feeling. Ignoring any promises involved and grievances diplomatically these -5’s are stackable so to repeat the action is risking more distaste. -15 starts getting serious which is also around the level of a surprise war.
    So in game there is diplomatic ramification. These action affect their ability to be friends etc but not trade until they denounce you, then trading is so useless it is not worth doing.
    In the real world the ramification is similar. Russia has at least twice poisoned people on British soil and the diplomatic ramifications are there but they are not war and they are not trade embargoes. In fact the public opinion is more about bystanders getting hurt that spooks in the spy game getting bumped off. Russia clearly does not care but does their best to cover up and knows if they continue to do these things countries will soon enough start questioning why they have trade or even an embassy with this nasty country/person. In reality a lot of spy stuff happens all the time by all countries and spy stuff has no rules. Public outcry or even diplomatic outcry for spy on spy action is limited but I do think a dam breach would be the type of thing where if caught there would realistically be more ramifications. But it is a game and how often do we breach dams.

acluewithout likes this.
  6. Dr Yaz

Dr Yaz Chieftain

:) I see what you did there. Very Cheeky.

Victoria likes this.
  7. Victoria

Glad it did not fall on deaf ears, ty
    It is also a real life good example

8. Galvatron

Galvatron Chieftain

Plausible deniability.

9. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

A "spy" once shot a crown prince dead and that triggered a slightly large war. It engulfed several continents. :p

In true Civ6 fashion, the "spy" was imprisoned until his death.

At any rate, depending on leader agendas to some extent, espionage fumbles should produce more grievances and perhaps even casus belli. Something called, I don't know, War on Terror, for stuff like blowing up infrastructure*.

Siphoning funds, art heists or scientific espionage would be harder to justify as acts of war. As would the recruitment of partisans, I suppose, which I figure would be rather nebulous as far as provable extent is concerned as a concerted foreign intervention.

The late game needs more war, and this would be a decent way to encourage it.

*9/11 was essentially an act of sabotage on a Commercial Hub.

10. MinnesotaRuss

MinnesotaRuss Warlord

My question is why is there no choice on my part? Shouldn't I have a say as to what my diplomatic response is?