1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is the American government so inefficient?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by warpus, Jul 26, 2009.

1. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Oh yeah, lack of communications and politicking, too.

2. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

If we were talking about the Australian government I could give you inefficiencies to make your eyes water.

3. Aramazd

Aramazd Deity

The DMV smells, at least the one here does.:sad:

4. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Leaving the country is not an option?

5. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

DMVs near Atlanta tend to have waiting lists of about 6 months for getting a license, or at least they did back when I got mine. (I think most renewals are done my mail). If you want to get it sooner, you need to drive at least an hour or two north or south. I got mine in Rome, Georgia, where my sister was in school, as their wait was only 6 to 8 weeks.

Comparing a federal program to an exclusively state handled one does seem a bit disingenuous though.

Actually, now that I think of it, federalism is a big part of the problem. These days government officials like to interpret this to mean that the federal government should mandate that the states have to handle something rather than doing it themselves, and often then not fund it properly. The federal government has been shrinking in the last few decades (at least relative the total population), but this is probably outweighed by how much state governments have grown in order to handle the work that the feds now require them to do. The individual state programs that make up federal programs can vary widely in their implementation, and don't coordinate with each other very well. Often the programs aren't really required per se, they are just prerequisites for the funds the state has grown dependent on for other programs (which they may be similarly required or blackmailed into doing).

Although it seems a bit counter intuitive, I tend to think things would probably be more efficient if the federal and state governments agencies and projects were pretty much independent rather than having the feds work though the states. A little coordination may be needed, but if the states and feds were competitors rather than partners in the business of providing roads, schools, healthcare, etc., both would probably become more efficient.

A lot of our polities center on trivialities and polarization along the two party lines. We really need a system where the leadership positions in congress are non partisan, at least in that they aren't based on which party has a majority. Ranged Voting or Fractional Ballots (first for deciding position in congress, then for all elections) would certainly help. Some sort of line-item veto would be good too. I tend to think that every agency or even department should have its mandate expire after some time frame and cease to exist if not renewed.

6. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

It's because democracy can only work of the citizens of the nation are intelligent. Simply put, your average US citizen - and citizens of most countries on the planet - are not smart enough to rule themselves. Even in a pseudo-democracy such as ours, the stupidity of the general populace results in stupid people getting elected into positions of power. The few intelligent people who do get elected either don't have enough power or don't care enough about the general populace to make a difference. Mind you, other forms of government such as oligarchies or dictatorships have their own set of problems are are not any better.

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I suppose I was hoping for examples from the people who think that it's inefficient. I really don't know if it is or if it isn't. I mean, I've seen examples of both, but I have no idea how the U.S. government as a whole compares to other countries.

8. amadeus

amadeus Large Marge sent me

I'd still be a citizen and if I renounced my citizenship, that doesn't necessarily mean that I'd be accepted by another state.

9. Irish Caesar

Irish Caesar Yellow Jacket

There's not a whole lot of incentive to do better.

10. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

My state shutdown several BMV offices and lets us do a lot of stuff online now so the lines aren't terribly long when you actually have to go. We also have state run health insurance for children if you are below a certain income.

The government doesn't have to be inefficient. In fact I really think it's just a cop out for some politicians. "The government is inefficient so I can't be held accountable or be bothered to solve major problems FREE MARKETS !!!11!!1!." Instead of constantly reelecting representatives who whine about it's inefficiencies and yet do nothing to curb it's growth, perhaps they should elect people who want to make it efficient.

11. Elfarcher

Elfarcher Chieftain

Usually, when a new government established, it would be efficient. Because the government need to show its superiority. Once the government was accepted by the people and ran good in a while, efficiency would be no more the first priority. Because most of the people was happy to live under the sway, and the government needn't to prove anything.

USA is getting along the history path, just like an old dynasty would be replaced by a new one someday.
    The following pic means: fates never be blocked off.

12. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Well, thank god governments in a democracy don't typically last more than several years then.

13. Elfarcher

Elfarcher Chieftain

God won't elect a government for you, so, don't thank God.:crazyeye:

14. aelf

aelf Ashen One

When someone can't differentiate between a government and a political system then talking to god would be more productive than having a discussion. kthx.

15. Elfarcher

Elfarcher Chieftain

If you think a government is independent from the political system, then ignore what I said.

16. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Oh, indeed. The quality of a particular government is independent of the political system.

17. hossam

hossam Deity

one time i went to the DMV to get my license renewed. because i was still a minor, they wanted my high school degree or something to prove i was done with high school. i said all i have is my university ID, and she was all like no you need your high school diploma and she made me go home and get it. why couldn't she realize that in order to go to college you have to have finished high school?

18. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

That's obstructive bureaucracy for you. Another example of it: in Russia at least, if you suspect that your passport was stolen, never say that it was stolen - say that you've lost it yourself.

19. Munch

Munch Benevolent Despot

It's because it's a massively swollen bureaucracy with far too many members of parliament and ... oh no wait that's us.

20. CCA

CCA Emperor

Because the centralization sliders are too far towards the 'decentralization' stage.

Because the ADM of the ruler is too low.

Because America has reached the max ADM size and ADM efficiency can only be increased by changing government size