Why is the horse not connected?

benitorios

Chieftain
Hi Everyone,

This happened in a recent game on an Archipelago map. In late game, I settled on this island, hoping to hook up Horse (not that it mattered much at that point the game, I won Diplo victory a few turns later).

I built a pasture and a road on the horse tile, and it's completely within my cultural borders. I have all the requisite techs (sailing, even Astro). But the horse is not connected. I checked, I'm not trading it away either.

How come it's not connected and what would have been needed in order to?

Thanks!

Yeah, I s a bit silly, but since there is no harbour connecting via road to the horse, its not part of the trading system.
It's especially stupid, because city can use the horse tile yield just fine.
The only way to get the horse is to build a fort on it.

Thank you for the help! Cool then I know what to do next time. It wasn't of any consequence here and I was actually happier to get the tile yield vs. actually connecting the horse, but good to know for next time.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

yeah, map generator sometimes makes this trick - get yield from tile or build fort for resource... just a bad luck :D

Yeah, you are simply getting that aluminium via normal foreign trade routes

yeah, isolated resources on islands need both a fort and a road to get access.

in this case, if I already had horses, I would probably just keep them improvement since the fort will destroy it and the tile yields. However, it appears that you otherwise have no access to horses unless you can trade for them.

I had a similar experience, but with opposite result recently. I was completely walled off by a mountain to the mainland, but an aluminum resource happened to be within by cultural border on the other side. I hooked it up and roaded the tile into another civ, and I did get the resource. I didn't have any cities on the mainland, so it was not connected directly by road to any of my cities. But I guess other civs will do me that favor and send the resource to me (if they have a harbor?).

Yep, but if that civ goes to war or cancels deals with you the aluminum will disappear.

Top Bottom