1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why isn't anyone posting walkthroughs anymore?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by PanzerEric, Jan 3, 2006.

1. PanzerEric

PanzerEric Chieftain

For Emperor, Immortal & Diety (Standard and larger maps, multiple civs, all victory conditions etc..........)

In CivIII people were always posting walkthroughs of their games. Sometimes these were long and tedious turn-by-turn posting with thoughts/ideas on strategies and providing explainations. Other times they would be in more of a novel format where the person would show their writing skills. In either case save-files were posted, screens shots shown and lots of discussion occurred to help educate newer members or sometimes have fairly vehement disagreements among forum veterans on strategies.

Yet in CIV I have not really found such walkthroughs. I have looked in the Multiplayer & PBEM forum with not much luck. I hear about other people winning at higher levels but it always seems to be cheesy(i.e. winning Diety on duel maps). I hear about people with strategies to win on Diety but never sequential save-files and screenshots showing progression to victory. I know there are some excellent CIV players on this forum, so please help others out on your strategies at higher levels.

Is anyone really winning on Emperor and higher with the larger maps?

Thanks for letting me speak my mind.....

2. Efexeye

Efexeye Silly Donkey

The game just came out, dude. I'd be really, REALLY surprised if anyone has beaten the game on Deity without cheating. I'd go as far as to say that it hasn't happened even once yet.

3. scooterguy

scooterguy Chieftain

Ok, I'll post one.

Just play until your crash. Reboot, play again until the next crash. Put the game away until the next patch and hope for the best.;)

4. ghen

ghen Chieftain

And you'd be wrong, with extreme war and early tech trading for war you can win at any difficulty. The AI doesn't play any smarter at higher difficulties, it just gets more bonuses.. so you negate those bonuses by decimating their expansion early, using workers correctly, and micro-managing citizens. You might loose a few games to mediocre starting positions, but the game is definitely beatable with current strategies (most notably Vel's threads over at apolyton)

As to the original poster: I remember those, and read them as well. I wrote maybe 2 myself in the more narrative form... but I'm not sure if they were ever uploaded. Unfortunately with Civ4 I don't have the time anymore to do that since I'm busy with work and night-school. Give it time.. maybe winter will set in hard and people will need something to do.. but anything the community used to do it will do again, thats why they say history repeats itself ;) Crowds of people are quite predictable.

5. Islandia

Islandia King

The last time I posted about a deity game, I was lambasted by some not very nice members of this forum about how unless I played 18 players huge pangaea aggressive ai with only a warrior for the entire game, I wasn't really winning on deity. So I took my ball and went home :)