Why no uniting wonders?

D712

Queen
How come they have abonded wonders that forced co-operation with other civs? (i.e. Apostolic Palace, former UN)

I found those to be my favorite wonders, mainly because it forced AI to work with other civs for varying reasons. Am I the only one who misses those? Would anyone want to see them come back, with modifications to the United Nations as it is now? Or does everyone think the developers were right to boot them?

Well, the Apostolic Palace was lame, because it was either used for cheap, early diplo wins, or ended up as a game destroyer. The AP could completely trash your game because the AI kept doing annoying crap like reassigning cities you took/ending wars you were winning/whatever, and defying those decisions wrecked your civ from all the unhappiness. The U.N. wasn't as bad, but I'm guessing Firaxis didn't feel like it was necessary to add stuff to the U.N., considering it comes pretty late game anyway (and also considering they just revamped the Diplomatic Victory a bit).

I feel that they could revamp the AP, though. As of right now, civs of the same religion aren't as closely tied as they should be. The AP could have decisions such as the old "open borders among all members" or something new like allowing the building to only be built in holy cities with the ability to tell another civ to get rid of its heretic population.

But in general, I just think that there needs to be some more wonders that affect diplomacy. In light of the London Olympics, maybe there should be an "Olympics" wonder that unlocks at, say, mass media, and incurs some sort of vote. The winner of the vote could get a happiness bonus.

I'm just spit-ballin' here.

I just wish the AP could be built by each religion, not just one. Not sure how they'd do that, though.

I just wish the AP could be built by each religion, not just one. Not sure how they'd do that, though.

A lot of the Civ 4 mods had religion-specific wonders. Maybe that functionality exists in Civ 5 as well? We'll see what kind of stuff the modding community comes up with in a bit, I'm sure.

I wouldnt mind Hollywood, Rock and Roll, and Broadway like wonders being introduced again. Promoting trade through wonder only luxuries could help keep the peace and developing friendships overtime.

Top Bottom