1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not an "Era Score" victory?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by SupremacyKing2, Dec 15, 2017.

1. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Chieftain

The new historic moments and era score are a perfect way to capture the "score" of a civilization. So it would seem like a good way to do a "score victory". In fact, I would love it if the era score replaced the old "score victory". Basically, the game would tally up all your points from historic moments at the end of the game and the civ with the highest score would win.

2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

They may exchange score with era score in the whole game. The scoring is indeed pretty weird as it is - so why not replace it instead of changing numbers?

3. Art Morte

Art Morte Chieftain

It's still two months before the expansion is out and there's a thread suggesting a new victory type based on the expansion mechanics. Now that is brave.

4. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

I'm guessing that era score points may add to the other score points (if not, they should). But it would add another twist to the old "score" victory (not that I'd ever have the patience to wait out a score victory).

5. conorbebe

conorbebe Chieftain

Agreed. Would love to see it replace the current score victory, and maybe give it a less game-y name, something like "Pioneer Victory".

6. Amrunril

Amrunril Chieftain

Using era score as an alternate victory condition would be an interesting option. One issue, though, would be that it would make Taj Mahal and any other abilities interacting with era score excessively strong (and nerfing them to balance such a victory condition would make them underwhelming in terms of actual golden age mechanics).

7. liv

liv Chieftain

Would such a victory not overlap with a science victory? The fastest through everything wins?

8. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Chieftain

I am not sure that would be a big problem since the "era score" victory would only trigger if you get to the very end of the game with no winner. Players going for any other victory type would most likely win long before the "era score" victory triggered. So yes, getting the Taj Mahal would give the player a big boost towards an "era score" victory but it would only actually work if everyone fails to win the game before the last turn. I would definitely not want the Taj Mahal to be nerfed since I really like the bous as is.

9. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Chieftain

Not really. The science victory is about building and launching the spaceship first which requires science and also fast production. The era score victory takes into account all the historic moments in the game and only triggers at the very end of the game.

10. Xur

Xur Chieftain

An expansion pack is usually just that - an expansion on the current game. I doubt Firaxis would change victory conditions unless they also change it in the base game... and it’s a feature in a paid expansion. Maybe later if they add eras to the base game. But as they get money from this feature, I highly doubt it.

11. Amrunril

Amrunril Chieftain

My thinking was mostly based on a game set up with "era score victory" as the only victory condition, which I think would be an interesting alternative to a standard game but would create some balancing issues as well. Treating "era score victory" as a substitute for score victory wouldn't create any problems, but it wouldn't have any real benefit either, given score victory's near-complete irrelevance.

12. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Chieftain

Well, there could be an option in advance settings to toggle the era score victory on or off so that players with the expansion who want to play with the era score victory can do so.

I think an era score victory only game would be really interesting actually. Yes such a game might have some balance issues. On the other hand, you would still need to balance the game for the default victory conditions. Players who choose to play an era score victory only game would just have to take into account that they are playing a "special game" with slightly different game objectives than a standard game. Players would most likely beeline for the Taj Mahal as part of their strategy to win. I would love to see an advanced option for an era score victory only game just to give players the option of playing something different.

13. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

But Brave New World changed a bunch of victory conditions in Civ V without changing them in the base game. Diplomatic Victory changed because of the introduction of the World Congress. Conquest Victory required you control all other capitals, rather than just having the last capital left in its original hands. Cultural Victory was completely changed.