Why not Hannibal??

Ozzy88

Chieftain
I'm disappointed that we aren't seeing Hannibal come back as leader for the Cartheginians. Dido is nice and all but I feel that Hannibal would have been a better choice.

I'm probably still going to play as Carthage when the expansion comes out, they are my favorite ancient civilization, but I would have loved to dominate the world as Hannibal instead.

Oh well...:(

Because they put an emphasis on female leaders in Civ 5 in general.

We have Wu Zetian, who has hardly that influential to Chinese history, besides being it's only female leader.

Plus, she only ruled for 14 years.

Hannibal is trite; it is nice to have something different.

I'm also not a Hannibal fan in general, but it is good when each successive game doesn't simply repeat the leader choices of the previous ones.

Thing that sets apart ciV from ever other Sid Meier game is stuff like this. If I wanted something samey old, I would have just stuck with my complete IV pack instead.

Plus, it's nice that the game isn't focusiong on warmoninging, because I'm pretty sure Hannibal would be considered a "warmonger".

It's probably too much to ask these days but it would be great if they brought back the male/female leader choice from Civ II.

Hannibal is trite; it is nice to have something different.

I'm also not a Hannibal fan in general, but it is good when each successive game doesn't simply repeat the leader choices of the previous ones.

I agree. It's just too bad the Civ 5 devs don't think that way, and we got Ghandi, Isabella, Washington, Napoleon and a bunch of others holdovers from other games when we should have had new stuff.

Also, Dido is a woman. They want to put as many female leaders as possible...which wouldn't be a problem if they didn't have to dig really deep in some cases and get substandard choices (Isabella and Theodora probably don't deserve to be civ leaders for instance).

I agree. It's just too bad the Civ 5 devs don't think that way, and we got Ghandi, Isabella, Washington, Napoleon and a bunch of others holdovers from other games when we should have had new stuff.

Also, Dido is a woman. They want to put as many female leaders as possible...which wouldn't be a problem if they didn't have to dig really deep in some cases and get substandard choices (Isabella and Theodora probably don't deserve to be civ leaders for instance).

Isabella doesn't deserve to be a leader? Say what?

It's probably too much to ask these days but it would be great if they brought back the male/female leader choice from Civ II.

On the same note, I miss how Civ III changed the clothing of leaders to reflect the different eras. It would be really cool with Civ V to do the same thing, especially when a leader was outside of his historical period, and even more so if the civilization as a whole was anachronistic; say, Nebuchadnezzar II in the modern era sitting behind a desk instead of a throne with the Babylonian skyline behind him.

Theodora I can understand, however, it's nice we are getting in what i think is the most female leaders in history of Civs.

Dido, Theodora, Maria Theresa, Bouddicca, and if you wanna count Spain, then Isabella, that's 50% of the new civs.

I wouldn't complain if it was Hannibal because I don't care that much, but I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet: Hannibal wasn't even a ruler of Carthage, he was a military commander, while Dido was a Queen and considered the founder of Carthage. That surely has something to do with Dido being selected as the leader over Hannibal besides the gender.

I wouldn't complain if it was Hannibal because I don't care that much, but I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet: Hannibal wasn't even a ruler of Carthage, he was a military commander, while Dido was a Queen and considered the founder of Carthage. That surely has something to do with Dido being selected as the leader over Hannibal besides the gender.

Hannibal is also one of the Great General names, so he is in the game ... sort of.

On the same note, I miss how Civ III changed the clothing of leaders to reflect the different eras. It would be really cool with Civ V to do the same thing, especially when a leader was outside of his historical period, and even more so if the civilization as a whole was anachronistic; say, Nebuchadnezzar II in the modern era sitting behind a desk instead of a throne with the Babylonian skyline behind him.

I feel they should have male and female leaders to choose from, like in Civ II. Dido is not my cup of tea, but oh well, it will be easy enough to make her act like Hannibal would. At the time of Hannibal Carthage was a Republic. If I was the one choosing a ruler, I would have chosen Hanno I the Great.

The leaderheads should also change with the times. Here we are supposed to have an advanced game, the newest version of Civilization, and they leave some of the coolest things out. I don't get it. Did they not have enough time to add good ideas from the past? Or were they just simply overlooked? Either way if they added a few more things from the past, even if they were optional, based on player preference. CiV would be a more rounded game. The game would have the best of everything.

The other thing I would like to see added again, is the list of unit types and a tally of how many units you have killed/lost during the game.

Well during Hannibals era they were a republic (of sorts) and were ruled by a senate (also of sorts) and after his defeat in the 3rd Punic War he returned to Carthage and became a politician for a short period of time. So I wouldn't say he was only a general, although that's what he went down in history for.

Well during Hannibals era they were a republic (of sorts) and were ruled by a senate (also of sorts) and after his defeat in the 3rd Punic War he returned to Carthage and became a politician for a short period of time. So I wouldn't say he was only a general, although that's what he went down in history for.

There also was a ruler named Hannibal I. Who could have been chosen as a leader. I suppose Dido was the first ruler. The founding ruler, but at least she really was a ruler. Unlike their choice of ruler for the Byzantines, Theodora. The point is that they could not choose Hannibal, but they could choose Theodora. Hmmm? :confused:

Meh! Really it's a small matter. I really don't care as long as the game is better.

There also was a ruler named Hannibal I. Who could have been chosen as a leader. I suppose Dido was the first ruler. The founding ruler, but at least she really was a ruler.

True but I don't think history remembers any other Hannibal than Hannibal Barca. During Carthage's era, every second man in the city was a Hannibal, Hasdrubal or Hamilcar. :lol:

True but I don't think history remembers any other Hannibal than Hannibal Barca. During Carthage's era, every second man in the city was a Hannibal, Hasdrubal or Hamilcar. :lol:

Exactly right. Also, there are not many generals, other than Hannibal, who have pulled off a double envelopment on an enemy army. Although, Marshal Georgy Zhukov did it at Stalingrad. And should I mention Shaka Zulu, who used this maneuver as well.

There were others, but Cannae is the main battle used as an example for it.

Exactly right. Also, there are not many generals, other than Hannibal, who have pulled off a double envelopment on an enemy army. Although, Marshal Georgy Zhukov did it at Stalingrad. And should I mention Shaka Zulu, who used this maneuver as well.

There were others, but Cannae is the main battle used as an example for it.

It's my favorite battle of ancient history. Pure genius.

'Cause its nice to have variety, and not the same leaders every game.

Yeah that. Hannibal has been Suffete of Carthage since the original Civ; its nice to have change every once and a while

He was actually Suffete (chief magistrate; similar position as Consul) for a year; and did much to restore Carthage's finances by reducing the corruption that was rife in the bureaucracy.

Top Bottom