1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why nuclear subs can't dive under the ice ?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Jabulani, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Jabulani

Jabulani Warlord

I just discovered it, holy cow ! Why ??

2. Jabulani

Jabulani Warlord

Is it confirmed or am I missing something ?

3. DutchJob

DutchJob Prince

No, you're not.

4. Roller123

Roller123 Prince

for the same reason sub's cant dive under Antarctic.

5. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

Subs going under ice was a saving grace in Civ V. This is downright stupid.

6. bladex

bladex Emperor

the ice is too thick

CBE Player likes this.
  7. Onii-chan

Onii-chan King

I mean if it was an enormous block of ice it'd make sense since subs don't have infinite depth reach and icebergs are 90% underwater (or if it's an actual continent just covered in ice obviously), but for just thin ice flakes then yeah of course you should be able to go under it. Perhaps you should add two different kinds of sea ice in Civ 6: "thin ice" which subs can go under, and "thick ice" which subs can't go under. Maybe?

8. Battlehelm043

Battlehelm043 Warlord

Well let's not panic, maybe they will patch it in. Just like a few features that they left out.

9. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I think "ice" in civ 6 is meant to be more like Antarctica, where it's totally unpassable by all. Otherwise you can often see the water by the ice caps as having icebergs in them, but they're still passable by all ships.

10. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

How the heck was that the one feature that saved the game? In the hundreds of hours playing, I can only think of a few times it even was super useful (typically maps with not normal water route around a continent). I guess you were nuking everyone all the time?

Tiger Genocide and nzcamel like this.
  11. Larsenex

Larsenex King

I have found that map generation in Civ VI does tend to block circumnavigation due to ice blockage at the poles. It would be nice if you can at least either go under it or have an icebreaker that allows you to traverse. Being limited to one side or the other is not too fun.

12. PibbZ

PibbZ Paladin

I totally agree. This is one of the reasons I'm so eager for the SDK to be released so I can create proper maps myself :)

13. callan

callan Warlord

Modern nuclear-powered submarines can (and frequently do) travel beneath polar ice caps. Why wouldn't they? Unlike older subs they don't need to surface to vent diesel exhaust or recharge batteries, they can stay down for months at a time if required. At the end of the day if you have no need to surface you have no need to worry about the ice above you.

I do take your point that you can't travel under Antartica itself but, as I'm sure you know, this isn't ice related. It's because Antartica is an actual continent that happens to have a lot of ice on it by co-incidence of latitude. You can certainly travel under the massive ice-pack that surrounds the land portion though. At least until it all melts anyway.

nzcamel and Mort_Q like this.
  14. Jabulani

Jabulani Warlord

Has the patch fixed this issue ? Thx

15. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Issue? You mean the desire expressed by a few posters that nuclear subs be able to pass under ice? Not addressed, and candidly (in my view) about the lowest priority "issue" that I see in the game.

16. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

This. You should be able to pass under the ice. But Civ games seem to veer from reality more and more with each passing version.

skyclad and Jabulani like this.
  17. Jabulani

Jabulani Warlord

Agreed, just like when nuclear subs attack other subs with missiles, that's Hollywood stuff, ridiculous.

18. Sascha77

Sascha77 Prince

Even the US' first nuclear sub (the "Nautilus") could go as deep as 700 ft.
    http://www.submarinemuseum.org/nautilus/nautilusFaqs.shtml

And I don't really mind that solid ice tiles are now impassable (if they're meant to represent ice covered land, not "floating" ice).

However: If that's what the game is trying to portray here, I think that they should make the "broken ice"-tiles impassable - at least to earlier ships that wouldn't stand a chance of navigating an ice-field. Good luck trying to navigate a trireme-like ship through that kind of sea in real life.. :D

Getting slightly OT here: I also think it's a bad idea to grant pre-caravel units the ability to enter ocean tiles once cartography is discovered. Heck, you don't even have to move them into friendly territory to "unlock" that ability (like you had to do to give land-units the embarkation-promotion in Civ V).

S.

19. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

Or maybe it's like video game stuff. GASP!

20. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Unlike Civ5 subs are not automaticly detected when entering enemy tiles, so you can use them as spotters for the 3 range/2 sight battleships. That for me more than makes up for the ice thingie.