Why oh why can't I search for phrases?

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
The search function is extremely impractical/functionally useless for long threads. Even the advanced search can't do it. Why? It's surely not difficult.

Last edited:
Short words are not searchable, which is why you can't do a general search for the "Ask a..." threads in OT.

What are you trying to search for? If you can think of a longer keyword that would probably be included in the post(s) you're looking for, that might work.

Xenforo's search errors out for me 90% of the time.

Use Google instead.

site:forums.civfanatics.com "phrase"

The ability to search for exact phrases is one of the most requested features on many discussion boards. As suggested above, you can use Google search with the site parameter. However, doing so will find results in any subforum. If you're interested in just one subforum, make that subforum's name part of the search. For example, to find Ask a threads in OT, try this Google search:

"ask a" AND "off-topic" site:forums.civfanatics.com

Note the use of quote marks and the hyphen in the subforum title. This technique isn't perfect, but it's pretty good.

I was already trying Google, but the quotes finally did the trick.

Yeag the search function here blows Clydesdale. I'll spend 15 minutes looking for an old unit retrieving "no results" or irrelevant garbage and then punch it into google with the same words and its literally the first result

If your search term is too short (less than 3 characters), too long or too common, you will receive the following message:
The search could not be completed because the search keywords were too short, too long, or too common.

I don't know what the maximum length is, but I searched for a 25-character string and didn't get the above message. That should be long enough for most purposes. I'll post the list of the common, unsearchable words in the first post in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) thread. It's very long. You also can't search for censored words. The purpose of these restrictions is to avoid placing an undue load on the server.

Top Bottom