Why on earth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aheadatime

Prince
..would the devs think it's a good idea to go from this...

FoW 5.jpg

..to this?

FoW 6.jpg

It's such a blatant reduction in clarity. Hills are harder to spot. Terrain differences are harder to spot. Resource icons are harder to absorb. It's such a step backwards that I don't understand the incentive behind it. It's even more strenuous on the eyes of a colorblind person, which I happen to be. Can't we at least get an option to decide what type of fog we want?

I agree 100%. Overall the game is pretty good, but that muddy brown fog of war is just awful.

Ironically I didn't recognize the first screen shot as Civ 5 at first because it still looks so normal to me. Then I saw the second one and was like oh yeah Civ 6 is ugly in the early game and I love maps. This one is just too muted to be of use or even really to look that cool.

Put me down for +1 on the vote to refine the fog of war map look.

Damn good old Civ 5, looks so beautiful. Miss it already. I cannot understand how people think VI looks better.
Miss it? it didn't go anywhere.

As to the rest - I guess it's a valid complaint, but I just don't see it. I don't have any readability issues with the current fog. :dunno:

But if it affects color blind folks - that sucks. I seem to remember one of the producers mentioning they were color blind and thought the map worked great for them.

Is it because the graphics constraints of showing the whole map is too large? Does peoples machines slow way down when they have settles a lot of cities?

Anyway Civ V is much better Fog of War.

Wow, looking at those two side by side really highlights the shortcomings of the new fog of war. I have been realizing that during my games trying to pick out good spots to settle is really difficult when you can't discern between most of the terrain and resources.

I like the empty map motif and the burning edges as you explore, but I've got to agree, once land is explored it should remain visible as a muted color of its nonfog of war self. It's really annoying hearing a barbarian encampment spawn but I can't find it immediately because their camp looks like forest

Wow, looking at those two side by side really highlights the shortcomings of the new fog of war. I have been realizing that during my games trying to pick out good spots to settle is really difficult when you can't discern between most of the terrain and resources.

Isn't that what the new settler lense is for?

True, but I find that lense helps read the map a lot easier. It quickly reveals portions I can disregard, which in turn helps me to quickly recognize the resources available to me in more preferable areas.

Though I will admit tiles like flood plains are harder to identify. Hills seem to be more straightforward.

Agree completely. Stylistically, I do love the whole 'map' art they went for. Practically however, it looks so bad. I have absolutely no desire to explore any more, once I have founded my empire, as the map still just looks empty and boring, and hard to read. In Civ 5, exploring in order to see everything and fill the map was my biggest priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom