1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why on earth...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aheadatime, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aheadatime

Aheadatime Prince

..would the devs think it's a good idea to go from this...

FoW 5.jpg

..to this?

FoW 6.jpg

It's such a blatant reduction in clarity. Hills are harder to spot. Terrain differences are harder to spot. Resource icons are harder to absorb. It's such a step backwards that I don't understand the incentive behind it. It's even more strenuous on the eyes of a colorblind person, which I happen to be. Can't we at least get an option to decide what type of fog we want?

2. qadams

qadams Bohemian

I agree 100%. Overall the game is pretty good, but that muddy brown fog of war is just awful.

3. dwarfling

dwarfling Chieftain

Not only during fog of war. Telling apart hills from non hills if the terrain has foliage is hard if you don't enable yield icons. And even then I gotta hover the mouse just to be certain.

1SDAN, qadams, TheMeInTeam and 7 others like this.
  4. Nathair

Nathair Chieftain

I think the why of it is pretty obvious and not a bad idea. Unfortunately, it does need some tweaking to be functional as well as "pretty".

5. DocRock

DocRock Prince

Damn good old Civ 5, looks so beautiful. Miss it already. I cannot understand how people think VI looks better.

6. Iberian

Iberian Prince

Ironically I didn't recognize the first screen shot as Civ 5 at first because it still looks so normal to me. Then I saw the second one and was like oh yeah Civ 6 is ugly in the early game and I love maps. This one is just too muted to be of use or even really to look that cool.

Put me down for +1 on the vote to refine the fog of war map look.

Aheadatime and tekjunkie28 like this.
  7. manu-fan

manu-fan Emperor

Lol nice pics. There is indeed a bit of a stark contrast. I'm getting used to the Civ 6 one though.

1SDAN, Aheadatime and inthesomeday like this.
  8. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Miss it? it didn't go anywhere.

As to the rest - I guess it's a valid complaint, but I just don't see it. I don't have any readability issues with the current fog. :dunno:

But if it affects color blind folks - that sucks. I seem to remember one of the producers mentioning they were color blind and thought the map worked great for them.

Stilgar08 likes this.
  9. King_Course

King_Course Prince

Is it because the graphics constraints of showing the whole map is too large? Does peoples machines slow way down when they have settles a lot of cities?

Anyway Civ V is much better Fog of War.

Aheadatime likes this.
  10. fatgordy

fatgordy Chicken in Pants

Wow, looking at those two side by side really highlights the shortcomings of the new fog of war. I have been realizing that during my games trying to pick out good spots to settle is really difficult when you can't discern between most of the terrain and resources.

Aheadatime likes this.
  11. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

I like the empty map motif and the burning edges as you explore, but I've got to agree, once land is explored it should remain visible as a muted color of its nonfog of war self. It's really annoying hearing a barbarian encampment spawn but I can't find it immediately because their camp looks like forest

12. fatgordy

fatgordy Chicken in Pants

I challenge anyone to try to pick out the hills on that second picture. Wow.

13. TheoDMC

TheoDMC Chieftain

Isn't that what the new settler lense is for?

14. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Nope. The Settler lense is literally only good for mapping out water sources. It adds nothing else to the experience of planning a spot to settle in.

1SDAN, mazz0 and fatgordy like this.
  15. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

Honestly the settler lense annoys me as does the missionary lense. I end up switching to a neutral unit to look around the map to determine where to move them

1SDAN, oroniel, The Carp and 7 others like this.
  16. TheoDMC

TheoDMC Chieftain

True, but I find that lense helps read the map a lot easier. It quickly reveals portions I can disregard, which in turn helps me to quickly recognize the resources available to me in more preferable areas.

17. Sogno di Volare

Sogno di Volare Chieftain

It isn't the end of the world, but I agree hills are hard to spot.

Hell I find hills under trees hard to spot even without the fog.

18. TheoDMC

TheoDMC Chieftain

Though I will admit tiles like flood plains are harder to identify. Hills seem to be more straightforward.

19. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

Spotting hills is a huge pain. You've got to mouse over the tile in question or use yield icons (at least I do)

Aheadatime likes this.
  20. kampori

kampori Warlord

Agree completely. Stylistically, I do love the whole 'map' art they went for. Practically however, it looks so bad. I have absolutely no desire to explore any more, once I have founded my empire, as the map still just looks empty and boring, and hard to read. In Civ 5, exploring in order to see everything and fill the map was my biggest priority.

oroniel, idjit, Aheadatime and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.