1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why on earth...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aheadatime, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Brittas

Gordon Brittas Blackadder's Half Brother

I'm in total agreement. The UI is quite frankly horrendous.
    Civ 5's is a million times better. imo.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Aheadatime likes this.
  2. TehJumpingJawa

TehJumpingJawa Warlord

Please play it before forming an opinion.
    Actually playing civ6 is a royal pain in the arse due to the hills.

FallenAesir and Aheadatime like this.
  3. PlayAsPericles

PlayAsPericles Chieftain

Wrote this as one of the things i was not a fan of in a post. REALLY taxes the eyes.

Aheadatime likes this.
  4. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Sage

I have to agree. The visuals are much clearer in Civ 5. I often struggle to discern anything (like barbarian camps and resources) in the explored areas that are then hidden from view. A few tweaks could fix that though, if the devs wanted to sharpen and color it up a bit!

Aheadatime likes this.
  5. TehJumpingJawa

TehJumpingJawa Warlord

A far far less important issue, but following on from Hills......

How are you supposed to differentiate between old-growth, and second-growth woods?
    They're visually identical, but mechanically different.
    Though I've no idea if they're functionally different? appeal factor perhaps?

6. gberetfr

gberetfr Rastaman

I like it like that, ok it can be improved a little to increase the visibility of some features. But it gives the feel a reading old maps drawn on scrolls, in a time when those maps where all but accurate, just giving hints about what's out there.

??? Exploration in my opinion is not about filling the map for the beauty of it but to find huts, barbarians, location of other civs, places to settle...

7. gberetfr

gberetfr Rastaman

Agree, would be the best

8. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

Fortunately, Strategic view is very good. I use it a lot when I care about hills.

9. skyclad

skyclad Prince

I don't think you can tell the difference just by looking, but the functional difference is that "new growth" cannot be chopped for production, or grant appeal. I'm unsure if "new growth" give adjacency bonus to holy sites but probably.

10. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

It's too late, but rather than the filter effect over Fog of War, it would have been nice if it were truly a paper map rendering that looked like a Sepia version of the strategic view. Then things under fog would be extremely clear and it still would have been beautiful and immersive.

Aheadatime likes this.
  11. Deadstarre

Deadstarre Expert

+1. new FOW is horrendous, as are some of the chosen icons for resources- needs to be fixed.

Aheadatime and Gordon Brittas like this.
  12. mazz0

mazz0 Chieftain

I think it needs tweaking, that's all. Increase the contrast on hill to make them easier to spot (they need that in the main view too) and do the same for resources. That would pretty much do it, in my opinion. Aesthetically, I love it!

I'd also maybe darken up the look of completely unseen land though. I find when you haven't explored and you're surrounded by blackness it creates a feeling that this little area of light is your whole world, which is both cosy, scary and exciting. I miss that.

On the subject of maps - the rivers in VI are better than in V, but still not as good as in IV. Let's have some interesting wiggles, some little oxbow lakes, etc. The little rocks are a nice touch in that vein :)

13. Mizar

Mizar IM

I really can't believe they released the game with such a horrible UI and especially FOW.
    Spotting anything is a royal pain, a good overview, priority for any strategic game, is nonexistent.
    Disappointed that how far downhill they went from 4.

14. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

The brown-on-brown color scheme is WAY too hard to read.

15. snwboardn

snwboardn Chieftain

I don't have a problem identifying hills but for the life of me I can't tell the difference between desert and plains tiles in fog.

Aheadatime likes this.
  16. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Artistically I think it looks cool. But at a certain point it's just ridiculous. Especially when you are in the modern age.

I think the entire map should be revealed by default when you enter the modern age, and it should convert to a more Civ5 style where it is dark. It would be impossible to implement at this point though.

I still think this style "makes sense" in the ancient through the renaissance eras though.

17. jekke

jekke Warlord

anyone mentioned the minimap yet? with brown fog and brown unexplored regions it looks completely, you know, brown, with some random coloured dots.

Aheadatime and kampori like this.
  18. kampori

kampori Warlord

The goody huts and natural wonders, finding city states etc are of course the priority early game. Hence why I specifically said AFTER I HAD FOUNDED MY EMPIRE. IE, a time mid-late game when I had founded all the cities I want, I have all the resources and luxuries I need and can just settle down into the production game. At this point goody huts are all but gone or irrelevant. So exploration becomes about filling the map.

But apparently not for

19. mnf

mnf King

I hate how the grid is all wriggly in the strategic view, though. I want straight lines! That's really what's putting me off strategic view. I want to see distinct hexes :(

oroniel and oklibrarian like this.
  20. Ozisl

Ozisl Warlord

More contrast, a bit of color, and better terrain icons (esp hills), and making the unexplored territory color darker, would make the map-type FOW much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.