1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why people think teachers are overpaid

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Archbob, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

2. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

You do, of course, realize that this is not exactly all, most, or even a large percentage of teachers, right?

...Right?

3. illram

illram Moderator Moderator

She's making money on the side using old fashioned American entrepreneurial can-do spirit. I can almost smell the boot-straps. Why do you hate freedom?

4. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

I'm not, I commend her. I think all teachers should do this and become millionaires.

5. Xyan

Xyan Cyber Monk

If teachers were paid better, there will be no need to try to earn anything by the side...

6. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

That's impossible. If everyone is selling these, who's buying? Not to mention the huge supply would drop prices, force a lot of teachers out of the market, and ultimately leave only a handful of successful ones. Not everyone can be rich.

7. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

I'm totally shocked this works, since there are SO MANY lesson plans for free or nearly free...

8. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

I'm so jealous of those damn teachers. They all make millions selling their "lesson plans"!

9. dutchfire

dutchfire Moderator Moderator

I guess $8 is nearly free. It is all about the volume!

10. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

We had this fight in Ohio during the last election. In determining teacher compensation it's important to add-in their very excellent benefits package. Medical, dental, vacation, tenure, retirement, (ect.) far exceed comparable private sector jobs.

11. holy king

holy king Deity

i dont think thats why people think teachers are overpaid.

12. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

I understand this is a fluff thread, I'm just sayin'...

13. holy king

holy king Deity

i was replying to the op directly. :p

14. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

So, how does this relate in any way to the OP? Is your position that the pay of teachers should be cut so they will be more motivated to sell their essentially worthless lesson plans to not-so-bright teachers in hopes of becoming rich, as a single individual has supposedly done?

It sure sounds like a cash extraction device alright. And most teachers are the victims.

15. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Oh, only 8 bucks? Actually, if the lesson plans were detailed enough (something I could use over multiple days), I'd probably pay the 8 bucks. Planning lessons takes forever.

Whoa, how do we know these are terrible lesson plans, or that the customers aren't bright?

Sounds like how lots of E-commerce or retail places work.

16. dutchfire

dutchfire Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I guess if you can save yourself even ~1 hour of work for $8, it might be worth it. Especially if you're having a bad/busy week.

17. Murky

Murky Deity

Let's see. We pay teachers a relatively low salary compared to other professionals who have about the same level of education. Our children's future depends on what they learn from the teachers. Then we pay people who play games millions of dollars per year because they can run fast or throw a ball around. Yeah, that's fair.

18. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

"Whoa".

First, I didn't state that.

And second, you admitted yourself that you can get all the free lesson plans you want on the internet already.

Exactly. There are an incredibly number of similar cash extraction devices which try to fleece the unwary.

19. potatokiosk

potatokiosk Deity

I'm surprised that most teachers haven't become millionaires by selling lesson plans to teachers. What a bunch of lazy moochers.

20. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

That's just an effective business plan, not a source of class warfare. A business plan that actually creates jobs and value, if I might add.

But really teachers aren't overpaid on average, and making $50,000 is a salary teachers in some states would envy. I envy that, and I'm not even a teacher, but actually educated beyond the level of most secondary school teachers.