Why play Civ 1?

SkyProf5

Chieftain
I was wondering: Why are people still playing the original Civilization when the game is up to Civ 4 and 5?

I had only played Civ III and recently became interested in the game again when Civ 5 was being released. I got curious about the Civ legacy and purchased the original Civ on CDROM; then downloaded a copy of DOSBox to run on Mac OS X. So in my case, I am playing Civ 1 as a retro experience (and having a ball).

Why do you play Civ 1?

Simple and fun. Not so much micromanagement as in later games.
You can pick up a game and run through it in one evening.
And the weird things that can happen... like the 3 tile island with a barbarian city on it.

I started playing Civ III and found that I was boggled by all the details. The guys here at the Civ III forums were a great help, but I still wasn't getting it. Sure it's Build, Grow, Research, but I wanted to understand the game from the inside. I figured playing Civ I would help with that.

Well, it's been a slow process, but I am getting the hang of it. I know play Warlord games and think of Chieftain as a fond memory.

Interesting. I thought Civ I was harder than Civ III. Mostly because of city based support for units (more micromanagement). I still don't do a good job of getting trade routes established for all my cities and my last game was the first time I made extensive use of Diplomats to subvert enemy cities. I'm gradually getting better though.

Interesting. I thought Civ I was harder than Civ III. Mostly because of city based support for units (more micromanagement). I still don't do a good job of getting trade routes established for all my cities and my last game was the first time I made extensive use of Diplomats to subvert enemy cities. I'm gradually getting better though.

Trade is not as easy as sending a Caravan to another city. Each city must be 10 tiles apart. So you can have tons of cities but if they are all set up in a 7 tile by 7 tile square "nation" then the only cities which can trade are the diagonal two because only the cities at the ends of the diagonal are 10 tiles apart!

C1/C4------------------C2/C3
------------------------------
---------C5------C6----------
------------------------------
---C7--------------------C8--
-------------C9--------------
C3/C2------------------C4/C1

Why play Civ I? Why play any old DOS game? Memories. I don't play Civ I, but I do have a favorite old DOS game I play. It requires DOS Box to run on Windows 7, but I fire it up once in a while. It's fun. :)

Trade is not as easy as sending a Caravan to another city. Each city must be 10 tiles apart. So you can have tons of cities but if they are all set up in a 7 tile by 7 tile square "nation" then the only cities which can trade are the diagonal two because only the cities at the ends of the diagonal are 10 tiles apart!

I only send Caravan's to foreign cities. The farther away the greater the payoff.

I have Civ1 DOS and DosBox installed on a flash drive. That's how I play Civ.
Nothing special about CivWin as far as I know.

Best thing about Civ 1 on dosbox is that it loads and runs very fast. Not like I have to wait each turny for AI moves when I try to play Civ 4. Also when I use many mods on Civ 4, game is not stable, random crashes and other unsolvable problems. And Civ 4 without mods is not so worth to play... lol :)

I love CIV, but only CIV I... I used to try playing other parts but CIV I is the best! So, as for reasons, It's simple and fun model of the world!)

I don't need graphics to enjoy a civilization game. The graphics of the later versions takes away from the ease of seeing what you need to see.

I was never a heavy gamer, but back in 6th grade or so, I got a copy of Civ 1 (the ONLY one at the time). Man, talk about addicting! Didn't play it for years, then I found Civilization Chronicles with the first 4 on it. I played 2 and enjoyed it, then tried 3, and found it too tedious. But I still find myself getting drawn into civ 1 for hours at a time.

Top Bottom