1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why republic?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Shokan, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Shokan

Shokan Love is the answer

I see alot of people recommending the republic as the best form of government. Why is this? I tend to skip republic altogether.

Despotism - Monarchy - Democracy

And Communism under certain circumstances.

2. billindenver

billindenver Chieftain

I mostly go
    Despotism-Republic-Democracy.

I just like the extra cash and reduction in corruption that come with Republic as opposed to Monarchy. I haven't really given Monarchy much of a chance though. I'm used to Monarch sucking like it did in CivI&II. From what others have recently told me, it's the best govt for war.

I suppose since I usually play peaceful builder, I usually go Republic. If I was trying for early conquest and fighting all game long, I imagine I'd go with Monarchy.

3. test_specimen

test_specimen hope lost

I think it is, because you can avoid WW by spending some money on luxury tax and still profit from it. As long as you don't go into a long war republic is better than monarchy. It decreases corruption quite a lot and you can get rich while at the same time researching. However you will have a smaller army than neighbours with monarchy.

4. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Chieftain

The main reason people stick with Republic instead of Democracy is to avoid the extra 5-8 turns of anarchy. And when you are good at picking and fighting wars you'll barely have any war weariness under Republic.

5. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

Yup.... I normally go depot- republic- democracy.

Imagine it this way:

Depotism: 1 War Point, 1 Build Point
    Monarchy: 2 War Points, 1 Build Point
    Republic: 1 War Point, 2 Build Points
    Communism: 3 War Points, 0 Build Points
    Democracy: 0 War Points, 3 Build Points

6. Ralph-x

Ralph-x Yo Foo Foo

I use
    depositism -> republic -> democracy

If the demo falls apart due to war I go back to republic, and if that falls monarchy.

7. Mega Tsunami

Mega Tsunami Chieftain

I usually go from depot straight to Republic and stay there. I don’t see much advantage of going to either Monarchy or Democracy.
    If you are able to get the Universal Suffrage you can wage wars for a very long time under Republic (very, very long time if war is declared against you). It won’t affect your research and you can pay for temples/libraries in conquered cities.

8. Jurimax

Jurimax Duke of Flanders

I usually go Desp -> Rep -> Demo.

In some cases though I'll skip Rep and go to Monarchy instead. There is one big issue if you go from Desp to Rep: unit costs!

What I mean is: if you switch too early(commerce really low due to lack of roads and marketplaces) you'll end up with a deficit every turn. That's why in some cases (especially when you're religious) it's better to go to Monrchy first.

Once you're in a Rep and you discover Democracy, switch at once (unless your in a neck on neck race for a key wonder with the AI). Less corruption, faster workers,... need I say more?

Greets

9. Uncle Dynamite

Uncle Dynamite Chieftain

I agree with all of the reasoning above, although I myself am partial to the Republic. My preferred road to victory (if the AI lets me :)) is winning the Space Race, but I fight a lot of war to keep the competition at bay, bash some superpowers around, secure resources for myself, and maybe get another prodcutive continent for my own devices. Thus I need to have a government that can handle little or no downtime between wars while still churning out technologies and luxuries during the fighting. Republic gives a big commerce boost as well as handling war weariness in stride, so thus you can see why choose it. If I'm playing a religious civilization, I might switch to Democracy to jump to a win, but not a must.

So for my playing style, Republic excels, but of course everyone has their own preferred method, so Democracy or other governments are just as useful.

10. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Democracy is over-rated. The ONLY reason I would switch from republic to democracy is if I really needed the faster workers. The difference in corruption between republic and democracy is minimal (barely noticeable) and isn't worth 4-8 turns of anarchy. And the difference in corruption is negated if you have to increase luxury tax because of War weariness.

As for the monarchy-republic debate: Republic if you want more money/science (in most cases) and are peaceful, or have short wars. Republic earns an extra gold piece from every tile that already is producing one, so basically you are nearly doubling your money. This confuses some players because they panic that they had to lower their science rate from 90% to 60% when they switched to Republic. But even though the rate is lower, MORE money is actually being applied to science, so you have to pay attention the actual gold being applied and not just the %. HOWEVER, luxury rates, and paying unit costs will drain Republics commerce bonus. So if your luxury rate is too high and you have way too many units, then Monarchy may have been better for you.

Monarchy if you like to wage many long wars or you are really short on luxuries. In monarchy your cities can support up to 3 more citizens, by using military police. If you do 'pointy-stick' research where you depend on beating techs out of your neighbors, then go to monarchy. If you have access to 0 or 1 luxuries then monarchy would be better (except for maybe chieftain level where you already get 4 citizens born content). If you have 2 luxuries it is more of a debate whether monarchy or republic is better, but having 3 or more luxuries (and especially if you have marketplaces), then republic is easily better.

11. Renata

Renata homicidal jungle cat GOTM Staff

I think the corruption difference between republic and democracy might be more significant on smaller maps. I haven't tested it extensively ( :p ), but the couple times I've switched on small maps I've noticed a significant change in income and in productivity in outlying areas.

That said, I almost never switch to democracy any more unless I'm religious.

Renata

12. Brizzad

Brizzad Chieftain

I have found in my short lived experience that democracies cant hold up to war. I sure part of it is me being a noob but like clockwork, when i start a war in a demo, my people start a revolution.