Why shouldn't Iran have Nukes?

Self-defense seems like a justifiable reason to me.

I don't see how making a nuke is self-defense, it seems like anyone who tries brings wars on to themselves.

The Iranians are only our enemies because we keep trying to exploit their region. We COULD be their friends if we wanted to, but the closeminded Republicans and racist administrations have prevented us from believing the Iranians to be our equals, but instead made them out to be some inferior sub-human race that deserves to be exploited by us.

Would you quit blaming everything on conservatives, Republicans, and racism please. It really undermines everything you are trying to say.

Would you quit blaming everything on conservatives, Republicans, and racism please. It really undermines everything you are trying to say.
That never crossed my mind. Though I do agree that blaming EVERYTHING on conservatives, republicans, and racism is not a good argument to present in your case.

The Iranians are only our enemies because we keep trying to exploit their region. We COULD be their friends if we wanted to, but the closeminded Republicans and racist administrations have prevented us from believing the Iranians to be our equals, but instead made them out to be some inferior sub-human race that deserves to be exploited by us.

Or, maybe it's the fact that they hate us and send terrorists into Iraq, take our embassy workers hostage, etc.? That can't be it, can it? Get that racism crap out of your head.

This isn't racism, this is a terrorist state wanting to have nuclear weapons to launch at us and our allies in the Middle East.

It actually make the OP seem very stupid, borderline mentally ******ed.

I don't see how making a nuke is self-defense, it seems like anyone who tries brings wars on to themselves.

Well you and I might be confident that the U.S. and other UN countries would never use a nuke to attack a country, but if you put yourself in their shoes, the U.S. does not seem too benevolent or passive. Thus having a nuke would be a good last-resort self-defense to have.

No, we could not be their friends. Maybe once we could have, but that time ended with the overthrow of the Shah. The people incharge since then have hated us and been our enemies since they first took over. This goes much deeper than Bush, it is just only now that they have the strength and opportunity to start causing us real trouble.

That last-resort would reign hell down upon there country, I don't see that being good for the world or them. No one should be making nukes, there will be no good to come out of it.

This goes back to Jimmy Carter and every administration ever since.

Personally, I think the Iranians need nuclear power. Their oil and natural gas complex is in dire straits. Just consider they flare enough natural gas to fuel five nuclear power plants.

The issue is not Iran as a sovereign country. They would not be stupid enough to torch a nuke. It's who has access to the weapons grade technology. The more players means the more room for error in the war without borders.

That last-resort would reign hell down upon there country, I don't see that being good for the world or them. No one should be making nukes, there will be no good to come out of it.

I agree, but since we have nukes, they want nukes. If we get rid of our nukes, we become vulnerable. I cannot really imagine any country challenging the U.S. to a nuclear war though.

Iran signed the NPT, so they shouldn't have nuclear weapons

Yeah, alot of the trouble between the US and Iran begain under Carter and last time I checked he wasn't a Republican.

Then why do they need nukes other then they want them?

If they want nuclear power thats one thing but maybe all such projects should be under the watch full eye of the UN..:rolleyes: Or else they wouldn't be allowed to progress there reactors.

Why do we need another country with nuclear weapons? I've heard people say that the likelihood of them using them are nil, but with that reasoning why would they ever need them? The reason America has them is because we already did, and since Russia or anyone else isn't giving up their arsenal anytime soon we are keeping these bad boys. Adding more countries to the equation is unnecessary complication. Please people, we have much more important uses with our money than more nukes.

Why do we need another country with nuclear weapons? I've heard people say that the likelihood of them using them are nil, but with that reasoning why would they ever need them? The reason America has them is because we already did, and since Russia or anyone else isn't giving up their arsenal anytime soon we are keeping these bad boys. Adding more countries to the equation is unnecessary complication. Please people, we have much more important uses with our money than more nukes.

Exactly! And considering how poor Iranians are their president should be spending that money on them instead of nuclear weapons. :rolleyes:

It's funny that it's the lefty people who support Iran getting nuclear weapons.

Exactly! And considering how poor Iranians are their president should be spending that money on them instead of nuclear weapons. :rolleyes:

They want a nuclear war because it would be the coolest thing ever!:crazyeye:

Most "lefties" don't support Iran getting nuclear weapons, but instead there is not much you can say if they do want nukes.

That being said, who are Americans to say that Iran shouldn't have nukes.
We're the hegemonic power, that's who.
The alleged accusations that Iran is building missiles is shaky at best, but even is if it is true, who are we to say otherwise?
Well if by shaky you mean that Ahmadinejad has stated on camera his intent to do so, then yes, these acusations are very shaky.

Forget all of the streotypical crazy Russian trigger friendly nuke launcher mindset - America has ALWAYS had more nukes than any other nation.
Ignoring the fact that this statement is a non-sequitur, why does any of that matter?

America is also the only nation to ever use nuclear weapons against another nation in attempt to cause harm.
So you're arguing that nations should not attempt to teach other nations the lessons they'be learned first-hand?

Now, tell me, how it makes any damn sense, that the United States has any right or any diplomatic leverage to say anything about this issue.
Again, hegemonic power.

It's like a raging drunkard beating his kid for trying to take a sip of champagne.
Or like a parent who doesn't want his child to smoke, preaching anti-smoking rhetoric while with a cigarette in his mouth.
Sorry, Charlie, but neither of those comparisons are representative of the situation. The United States hasn't built a nuke in thirty years, this is more like " daddy's an ex-alcoholic, and is trying to teach the kid down the block not to drink, because he's seen what it can do to you, and he doesn't want anyone to get hurt when this kid get's smashed and does something stupid."

A bunch of BS if you ask me.
We'll keep that in mind, should we decide to care in the future.

In my opinion, we need to disarm the whole world, not just some nations. Iran has every right to own a nuke if it choses, it's part of a nations rights...
Oh, so now nations have 'rights?' Nations don't have rights, they do what they think they can get away with.

How can you argue for world peace, but then say that every nation should have nukes? That's like arguing that the streets of LA will be safer if everyone has a handgun, completely rediculous.
and with trigger happy Bush&Co. still in power they have more than enough reason to be afraid.

Trigger happy? Hardly. Trigger happy implies that they will and have attacked anywhere they can, whenever they can. "Bush&Co." has attacked two countries, one of which was accepted by the world as the right thing to do.

as an iranian i am a bit torn on this issue. parts of me wants iran to have nukes, thinking that they would be a deterant againt further wars. the other part of me doesn't think this to be good idea, since it will give the currnet iranian regime more power to do what it wants. that said, even if iran had any nukes, the iranian regime is much more inteligent, and rather selfish to get on the road of litteral self-destruction by attacking israel or the US via nukes. dont buy the rhetorics from either side. the iranian president cant do anything anways, since his role is a lot more symbolic when it comes to action. and ever since his presidency started the economy has gotten even worse, and since he hasn't made good on his promises,(i.e. the improvement of the people's daily life) his popularity has gone down.

and btw, the iranian people are the most pro-western in the region, and are mostly highly educated. so dont believe the US propaganda when it portrays the iranians as west-hating terrorists.

The best way to handle Iran is economic. They'll collapse under the weight of their unhappy youthful population.

A price attack on oil through fuel-efficient technology by importing states would do it. If oil is reduced by enough countries it would force the cartel producers to defend price, which they do by reducing supply. The problem with this is the equitable sharing of supply cuts is an inherent problem for any cartel that lacks an enforcement mechanism for market sharing agreements.

This happned between 1981 and 1985 when other cartel states declined to match Saudi Arabia's cuts. Finally, the Saudis initiated a production increase and it drove prices down an equivalent of $10/barrel (in 2006 $) and Iran's oil complex is not capable of handling this.

So that would put the prez out of office but does that mean the next guy wont push for nukes?

Top Bottom