Why shouldn't Iran have Nukes?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Commie #4522, Jan 22, 2007.

1. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

I think that Iran will be attacked after resolution of a problem in Iraq. They will have a lot of time to try develop defence...:nuke:

2. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Deity

The Iraqis do not possess any weapons capable of intercepting Israeli combat aircraft. The American occupation is the only thing holding their surrogate government in Baghdad in power, and I use the term power very loosely. It is very much an American call.

If it is such a slam dunk case, why have my requests for citations of this rock solid evidence fallen on deaf ears? If you have cold hard facts showing that Iran wants nuclear weapons and is actively pursuing them, I'd like to see them.

3. VX250

VX250 Down With Swingtown

Yes, why shouldn't Iraq have nukes? It's outrageous they don't!

And while we're at it, why shouldn't bank robbers have guns? Why shouldn't rapists have date-rape drugs? Why shouldn't paedophiles be kindergarten teachers? Why shouldn't necrophilliacs work on farms? Why shouldn't terrorists be given bombs and tickets to New York?

4. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

You mean the morgue?

5. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Let's say an Israeli plane is flying over Iraqi airspace. Who would know? The Americans and perhaps the Iraqis, if the Americans let them know about it. Now, who is going to shoot it down? The Iraqis don't have the capability, so they would have to depend on the Americans to do it. Can you honestly forsee a circumstance where the Americans would knock an Israeli plane out of the sky? Don't kid yourself.

6. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Actually it does possess the capability to intercept Israeli combat aircraft - they still have an inventory of Mirage F1s and Chinese F7s and a program to retrain pilots is currently underway. They also still retain AAA systems capable of shooting down enemy aircraft, but dont have any guided missile weapons yet.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/custom/2006/01/17/CU2006011701017.html

and just recently http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/24/wiran24.xml

7. angeleyes

angeleyes mood indigo

:lol: .

8. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Deity

None of which are operational. The Americans completely disbanded the Iraqi military and bueaucracy, so they lack any ability whatsoever to fight any kind of modern war in any way.

They simply have no capability to shoot down modern high performance Israeli aircraft piloted by well trained crews at high altitudes.

An article posting war doesn't qualify as an argument. Your first link doesn't mention any sources other than the ambiguous "senior EU defence official" and the second one offers no evidence of Iranian efforts to construct a nuclear weapon. "There were unconfirmed reports..." "it is rumoured that..." "some experts believe..." that article has wikipedia syndrome. I asked for cold hard proof.

You cannot just simply post one article after the other, if you were knowledgeable on the subject you'd be able to make your own arguments and then support them with links instead of just yelling at someone to go read a news story.

9. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Of course they are operational...they are training pilots to fly them right now.

So? Jordan, Syria and Saudi Arabia sure as hell do...and they are in the way as well.

Not to mention Irans own AA capability.

Plus you still have not solved the range issue yet. I assure you Israeli tanker aircraft will not fly anywhere near hostile airspace, thus there is just no way to make such an operation happen.

What do you mean 'cold hard proof'? Hell, even after 17 years we didnt have 'cold hard proof' that Saddam had dismantled all his weapons. You dont get 'cold hard proof' until you invade and find out whether it is there or not.

Uh...you asked for links...so I gave you links. Dont like em? Oh well. Iran is pursuing a nuclear enrichment program of a type that will enable it to make weapons of the same grade pursued by North Korea.

And in the news just today: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=120145

Imagine that. They are getting help from North Korea. Dont be so niave.

10. Fox Mccloud

Fox Mccloud Deity

Normally I would support any nation's right to develope nuclear weapons. I just don't believe that anyone who is obsessed enough with a proven, established historical fact to spend the time and money to open up a conference to "Review the global vision of the holocaust" is mentally stable enough to be trusted with a weapon capable of destroying cities.

11. angeleyes

angeleyes mood indigo

Iran must have nuclear power. Of course! They should defy USA's supremacy.

12. ionimplant

ionimplant Prince

this seems to be a good reason for Iran to have nuke to deter US doing so.