Why So Slow???

ZebbyZazoni

Chieftain
Yo folks, i am new here. Have started playing Civ3 since 2 weeks ago. Really addictive game!

Anyway, noticed that when i have about 30 plus great cities (size 12 & above) with library, university et al, i can often research very fast (4 turns). However, after i expanded & conquered more cities (i now have over 110 cities) my research rate has became slower. FYI, in the new cities, some have library some don't. Why?? Is the research rate an average of all your cities?? Or is it just because the later science discovery requires much more research. In this case, then surely no one can afford to keep just 30 great cities throughout the game & maintain a fast research rate?? Would appreciate if some experts can enlighten me.

Btw, this site is excellent & the tips extremely useful! Well done!

:)

The techs become more expensive as you proceed up the tree. For example, I can get Refining in 4 turns, but with the same research level, steel takes 7 turns. Different techs require different amounts of time.

Thanks Furry for yr quick reply!

I understand that certain knowledge requires more research compared to the rest. But i guess my question is more like whether the amount of research required is directly porportionally to the no of cities you have.

For example:

If you have about 30 cities, you need 50 points to get Refining

However if you have 100 cities, the programme will require you to have 180 points before you can get Refining.

Does it work this way?

The reason why i ask this question is because i noticed from some threads that certain members can have 20 cities (size 12 & above with library, university, research lab) throughout the game & maintain very fast research. So if my logic is correct, i should be able to research at the light of speed if i have 100 or 200 cities (most of them with library etc) right?

But it does not seems to be so..

Originally posted by ZebbyZazoni
The reason why i ask this question is because i noticed from some threads that certain members can have 20 cities (size 12 & above with library, university, research lab) throughout the game & maintain very fast research. So if my logic is correct, i should be able to research at the light of speed if i have 100 or 200 cities (most of them with library etc) right?

But it does not seems to be so..

The research points required for a tech advance are also adjusted to map size. Since you can build more cities on huge maps than on small maps, you'll also need to come up with more research points. And I also suspect (but don't know for sure) that the difficulty level you play at plays a role.

In the editor (under rules/world sizes) is a section called 'Tech rate'. Check that one out and you'll have an idea how it works.

BTW, if a city is utterly corrupted, it won't produce that much research, so your 200 libraries theory might be somewhat flawed. And no matter what, 4 turns is the fastest time you can research an advance.

Panda is correct that if there is lots of curruption, which you are sure to have with that many cities if you are playing unmodded, the cities wont contribute much to your science program. Map size does matter, as does the number of civs left, so kill some civs off and your research will go a bit faster. I cannot remember the name of the thread but there is a thread in either this forum or the general one that has the formula to research.

And no the size of your empire and the ammount of cities you have will not slow down your research. However, it works that way. I was in the Middle ages, and at the end i was getting everything in 4 turns, now i'm in the industrial ages and it takes 6 turns at 100% but i am loosing money, Damn poor AI punks :mad:. So it is just a coincidence that your tech rate got slower. Mind you, if you didn't conquer those cities, your research rate would be even slower.

If you play on standard map size, optimum # city is 16, if you have way more than optimum # city then all your city become corrupted, it can be as high as 95 % corruption everywhere.

Search for " do you think you understand corruption" from alexman or alexmen you will find detail explanation about that.

That s why when i got about 20-25 city on std map size then i raze a.i. city unsteed of capturing it; it give nothing to keep a corrupted city which had corruption tou your core city.

Aslo as mentioned above, tech cost more and more as you climb the tech tree.

I think corrupted cities are worth keeping for producing conscripts, and also you can build it up in population then abandon it. They also contribute to territory, and are a useful base of operations.

Top Bottom