1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the AI does not see the benefit of placing city on coast ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by vsipinen, Jan 21, 2006.

1. vsipinen

vsipinen Warlord

Why the AI does not seem to see the benefit of placing cities on coast ? I have been experimenting more aggressive play style (normally I play very peacefully - often I have wars only if somebody attacks me) and I have captured several cities that are built only one tile away from coast. Wouldn't it usually be better to build cities on the coast, because then it is possible to build coastal improvements like harbor and it would be possible to build ships ?

I think the AI should be fixed to better appreciate coastal city locations. Unless there could be added a way to build separate harbors for cities near the coast. Perhaps a new worker ability to build such separate harbors as tile improvements could be added. This new tile improvement would then give a city the normal benefits of a harbor and also ability to build other coastal improvements and ships. I guess there should probably be some limitations for this tile improvements: it could perhaps consume the worker, perhaps it should be possible to build harbor tile improvement only in a city radius and perhaps the city should "work" the tile in order to get the benefits (that would also nicely solve problem about overlapping city radius - the city that is "working" the tile would get the benefits).

Perhaps the harbor tile improvement could start from a small dock and slowly become to a fully developed harbor (like cottages, which slowly develope to towns). What you think about this idea ? Isn't there also in the real world big cities with separate harbors ?

2. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

This does seem to have been a persistent problem as long as Civ has been around. I suspect it is because the AI doesn't recognise that it is easy to make a sea tile give 2 food from a city improvement, and therefore see's no particular relevance whether it is on the sea or not. I too would like to see a separate harbour tile improvement, for those irritating occasions when I get an AI city like this, and it might also be handy for tiny islands maps where it really doesn't seem worth having to found a city on every island to get a resource.

3. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

Totally agreed on above posts , I also think it just sees the sea / ocean / coast as only 1 food , and therefore doesn't choose to build there ..though it doesn't have any probs when there is a resource there (must override the city placement algo)..maybe it needs a seperate "sea" algo writing ..

Oh and btw you mean lighthouses not harbours ..but then you knew that :)

4. aprogressivist

aprogressivist Chieftain

Major thread necro. Has anyone ever done a mod that does something like this?

5. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Try BetterAI.

6. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

"Necro" might be an understatement here. :D

That being said, I think we've all noticed that the AI just doesn't seem to place a high value on coastal cities, even with seafood available. I've been playing with BetterAI as part of LoR for awhile now, and I can't say as I've noticed all that much of an improvement in AI city placement in this regard. Heck, I remember playing a game where I launched an intercontinental invasion of Hammy. He had a fair sized continent to himself, about 4 or 5 cities, and only one was coastal (and that was a former barb city). Doofus went wondercrazy, and couldn't even build a defensive navy if he wanted to. :lol:

Does anyone know the actual mechanics behind the AI's decisionmaking in city placement, and to what weight it gives coastal cities? I'd be curious to know.

7. Silu

Silu Deity

Coastal-ness does give at least a significant bonus, at 400, compared to the 200 from settling on a hill and 100 (only!) from settling Fresh Water for example. Water also is counted as a "bad tile" for non-coastal cities and is weighed negatively - also seafood in non-coastal cities is a big no-no.

Other point thingies such as resource and plot ownership claiming can easily override this though - the AI loves to grab land, even crap land. It's city philosophy regarding tiles can be summarized as quantity over quality; ocean tiles are weighed badly compared to even stuff like plains. Also if the coastal site would trigger some of the "NEVER SETTLE THESE" rules such as having > 66% of the BFC under foreign influence it's not taken into consideration at all.

One other way in which coastal-ness affects it is settling the first city on a new landmass - this must always be coastal.

8. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

Who's better than you? :goodjob:

9. the343danny

the343danny Emperor

There is a very simple work around. The AIs settling cities one tile away from rivers and the coast really annoyed me, and it also annoyed me that I kind of was forced to do that. So, I made lighthouses and levees buildable anywhere.

Surprisingly enough, the AI (well atleast with the BetterAI from LoR, which I think isnt up to date with the latest release of BAI) handled it very well. I didnt see levees or lighthouses in places where it would not help, but I still did see it where it did help. This made Civ so much better as now I am much less annoyed with the game.

BTW if anybody is wondering I got the idea from the Three Kingdoms mod (which I would say its one of the best mods around), and simply implemented that into the other Civ versions I play.

10. Killazeke14

Killazeke14 Chieftain

Great idea:goodjob:

11. kochman

kochman Deity

That pretty much Nerfs the Dutch/Dike