why the AI isn't putting up a fight

romelus

NUCULAR!
i'm playing on a giant earth map with 50 civs and immortal difficulty. i took over the americas while the maya conquered just about all of asia, europe, and africa. this was shaping up to be a great game, and i anticipated a huge fight

i had a foothold in britain and scandinavia, and soon the maya declared war before i was truly ready. i hunkered down with defensive units behind a city with barbed wire fence, and waited for the mega stacks.

after the initial dozen or so units, the maya offense was no where to be seen. at first i was still weary of the mega stacks, so i made some raids to quickly take over a couple of surrounding cities, ready to abandon them and retreat back to my defensive position if i got overwhelmed.

but the mega stacks never came... :confused: i've now taken over all of west europe and have faced only minimal opposition.

concerned that maybe the maya main units were trapped on an island, i checked in the world builder to see what's going on. i could not find any big stacks. i only had 0.3 power rating compared to the maya, but it appears their power is solely from defenders in all the cities. what's more disturbing was that the maya were putting 60% into culture, and of course its research was stalled :mad:

unless there's a way to switch the AI into conquest mode again, i've given up on this promising game. what caused the AI, which was well on its way to try for domination/conquest victory to suddenly go into culture mode? what happened to the hundreds of cavalry the AI surely had built? i have the save game if anyone is interested in taking a look

Do you have revolutions turned on? If so, my guess is that the maya had too many rebellions and had to stabilize what it had through culture before they could expand more.

put AI to aggressive. That will definitely help, although more than half the civs are still complete wimps.

revolutions were off, and aggressive AI was on. the mayas were aggressive throughout the game, taking on multiple wars all the time. then all of a sudden it decided to go for culture. very confusing.

The best AI I got is when I only use those 3 victory only: conquere domination, scientic.
than the AI doesn't go ever for culture, and it is bloody very bloody . . . .

if the AI is turned to be aggressive it lacks the economy in the later game to build up large stacks. it's a bit better if it's not aggressive. but as it is now the AI has problems to understand the importance of economy in this mod. only option is to turn difficult much higher of even group some AIs in teams of 2 to be more competitive.

you can try to play 'A New Down' modmod for RoM too. with the newest beta the AI has improved a lot.

if the AI is turned to be aggressive it lacks the economy in the later game to build up large stacks. it's a bit better if it's not aggressive. but as it is now the AI has problems to understand the importance of economy in this mod. only option is to turn difficult much higher of even group some AIs in teams of 2 to be more competitive.

you can try to play 'A New Down' modmod for RoM too. with the newest beta the AI has improved a lot.

I never noticed that. The AI always has a big economy and way larger stacks late game than me. I do play on diety, maybe that is why.

The civs seem to focus on economy and development just as much as they did without more aggressive. The most aggressive civs like Mongols, Zulus who didn't develop have no chance of winning and become too aggressive and always get killed very early. Most civs don't build many troops get conqured early and in the chance they do get a big lead they don't use it. One game Mali had twice the army early of anyone, a big empire and didn't use it, only attacked twice in mop ups against dying civs. He finished in a distant 3rd place.

Its the ones that are naturally somewhat aggressive and develop that have a shot at winning. Like Bismark, Quin Shi Huang. These are the type of guys that when they get a big lead in power continually attack other people. Menelik is surprisingly tough, he develops really well and will also start a fair amount of wars when he is ahead. I had 3 games recently where he jumped out to a big lead, 2 of those I lost soon after and the 3rd he's running away with it. He has 4500 points, Bismark 3500, me 1800, Bablyon 1700, China just got conquered by all of us. He loves me, so my only hope is to get a nonaggresion pact with him so when Bismark attacks we both kill him. Than get to nuke age, than you can kill entire 600 unit stack with 3 nukes. Even than I would be very likely lose.

I play on standard and just pick those leaders who have a shot at winning, who build troops, will fight a fair bit and develop. It stinks that 3/4 of the civs fit the loser category.

This.

Play with A new Dawn beta3, ruthless Ai, and move down two difficulty levels. :p

but in my games with a new dawn 1.72, the ai does not seem to be able to deal with revolutions, making it very easy for players to win. is it improved in 1.73?

but in my games with a new dawn 1.72, the ai does not seem to be able to deal with revolutions, making it very easy for players to win. is it improved in 1.73?

in 1.73.beta3 it doesn't murder itself with revolutions early on anymore. so it's definitively better now though it still has problems with that.

in 1.73.beta3 it doesn't murder itself with revolutions early on anymore. so it's definitively better now though it still has problems with that.

Wow, that's practically a ringing endorsement, coming from my AI critic-in-chief.

Jk. :p

Killtech forces me to innovate. I wrote some fairly nice Caravan code, from his complaints alone. :lol:

Innovate or Liquidate, as they say in business :)

ok i'll give AND a try for the next game. i played the current game a bit more. i made peace with the maya twice to give them a chance to build some units, and twice they attacked me a couple of turns after the peace treaty expired. unfortunately they had nothing much to attack with, so i just mopped up more of their cities.

they also went from 80% culture to 80% gold, so it looks like the AI was just flat broke. sad to see such a huge AI in such sorry shape. they must have built too much military and not enough economy. too bad i didn't get to fight their super stacks.

I have read "Guns, Germs, and Steel", and it was really interesting (the tv series is pretty good too). Really made me wanna play civ lol

ok i'll give AND a try for the next game. i played the current game a bit more. i made peace with the maya twice to give them a chance to build some units, and twice they attacked me a couple of turns after the peace treaty expired. unfortunately they had nothing much to attack with, so i just mopped up more of their cities.

they also went from 80% culture to 80% gold, so it looks like the AI was just flat broke. sad to see such a huge AI in such sorry shape. they must have built too much military and not enough economy. too bad i didn't get to fight their super stacks.

That is why I always play on one big land mass. The AI is too stupid to adapt to when it conquers a continent. It should either do a major assault on another continent or turn to development.

afforess, i installed AND and started a new game with a random giant rom_terra map and 50 civs. something weird is happening and i don't know if it's because of AND or the map script.

soon after i found my city i run into a mad dash of many AI settlers looking for a place to settle. i checked in the world builder to see what's going on, and saw a string of AI cities packed together on the west coast of the main land mass. meanwhile elsewhere on the continent it wasn't crowded at all. i've never seen this happen before on a giant map.

also, i can't find the regenerate map option upon reloading the initial autosave. i'll try to start another game. it's just a huge hassle to open up 50 slots when starting a game :p

Top Bottom