1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

why the AI never pays tribute??

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Jim Bro, May 17, 2011.

1. Jim Bro

Jim Bro Emperor of Quebec

did it happen to you that the AI actually pays tribute in face of imminent danger? i ask for one dollar when i have nukes pointing at them and they will never hand me out any cash :(((

2. BobDole

BobDole American Leader in Civ VI

I think if they're "Scared" (you know, when they randomly come up to you and say stuff, like how the hostile civs do) you can get tribute. But I rarely see civs actually get scared, even if I'm right next door to them and could wipe them out in 5 turns. Civs in general are really stingy in this game; even trying to get a peace deal in my favor when I'm sacking city after city is impossible . Typically, they demand that I give THEM stuff back, as if I'm losing the war. So yeah, cause of that, I haven't asked for regular tribute during peacetime in forever.

3. elprofesor

elprofesor Pluri-editing poster

I usually ask for tribute before DoWing a civ, if he has enough money to cause problems during the war. They sometimes give in...

4. vexing

vexing knows

you can successfully make trade demands when you have superior forces, and they don't unconditionally hate you.

it's easier to just trade your gpt for their gold and then declare.

5. BobDole

Yeah, but that just feels like cheating...

6. Karl_Rove

Karl_Rove Pleb

IDK, I kind of like this new way. The way I see it, my invasion of another civ's cities is seen as an occupation, whereas the simple peace treaty is the other civ acknowledging my authority over the contested cities.

I could be convinced otherwise, though

7. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

I tried demanding when a civ was supposedly "scared" and they told me I could take from their cold dead hands. I guess they weren't really scared after all.

I've never successfully got anything for free from the AIs no matter what their supposed attitude is towards me. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

8. TopGearFanatic

TopGearFanatic Duke of St. Louis

I would like to know why when I have made a declaration of friendship I can't ask for money or resources.

9. UrbanX

UrbanX Absolute Monarch

same here.

10. Dermo

Dermo Warlord

You can ask for money or resources at any time.
    It just that the AI will generally refuse (or in my experience always refuse)

11. BobDole

Yeah, except you can ask for like 50 gold, and they'll probably decline, and then you'll decline their request later for like 50gpt (I love when they come up to you with insane requests like 1000 gold, or huge GPT), you'll turn it down, and you have a permanent negative diplomatic modifier for refusing it. At least, that's how it always seems to me.

12. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

Oh, and you'll have a negative for making a demand.

Diplo AI needs a lot of work, as does tactical AI.

13. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Prince

I tried during all realistic (what Ithought realistic) game scenarios and they never gave anything up so I gave up trying.

It is very lame that the AI will ask for crazy stuff - your extra resource the same half turn you acquired it, 57 gpt? - but I have never got anything in return. Also it's a computer so it can ask every turn with no work effort involved, in the meantime, the player has to click a bunch of screens and ask for the gift and get denied. It aint right.

14. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

The problem is the AI giving you gold doesn't ensure their safety. You could ask for tribute, and then attack them. (and now you would be much richer)

It might be reasonable for GPT or resources, but not for flat gold or cities (especially if you are a warmonger... which means you are going to attack me eventually anyways, I'm not going to make it easier for you)

15. Jim Bro

Jim Bro Emperor of Quebec

lol the AI and diplomacy are so bad in this game. i don't understand why they don't fix this. oh yeah right because they want to make money releasing another civ. i forgot.

16. Hamburger

Hamburger Chieftain

I don't seem to have the same issues with the AI that a lot of people complain about. Sure it is annoying that they never give you any money when you ask for it, but isn't giving away an extra resource worth having an ally? Look at the US in real life, we give away billions in foreign aid and often to people who aren't true "allies" (I'm looking at you Pakistan). I've found that if you act in diplomacy how a country should act you don't have many problems. I often have a group of countries with a DOF and if someone outside declares war on me, they don't always help but at least they don't pile on. And sometimes that is enough to make it worth it.

17. cccv

cccv King

They measure your threat in terms of military size, not who is winning. It makes sense, really. If they have a comparable or superior military on paper, then they have reason to believe the war can swing their way. Just kill off more of their units. Honestly, a civ that knows they're beaten is anything but stingy. They'll often give you everything they have, including all of their cities besides the capitol, just for you to leave them alone for 10 turns.

As for tributes, idk, wouldn't that kind of be like civs voting for civs other than themselves in the UN? It would make sense if tributes actually incurred favor, but they don't. There's just no benefit to it. [Another fix they need to make to diplomacy.] So tributes really should happen rarely to never the way the game is set up right now.

18. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

In Civ3, they let you renegotiate peace treaties. The problem of course was, if you failed to come to some agreement, it would be war. I could see this as a compromise. Essentially, a demand of tribute creates the mandatory 10 turns peace that a peace treaty would bring.

19. cccv

cccv King

Actually, the fact that they want to make money releasing other civs is the reason they do want to fix it. If you want to see what happens with 2K games when there is no DLC (and hence no vested interest in putting the work and money into improving the game), go play Bioshock 2 and ask them why you still can't rebind the keys properly after all this time.

20. BobDole

In my last game (where seemingly everyone declared war on me, yet in doing so, saying they didn't like their chances but they felt they had no choice or whatever) I wasn't able to get any tribute despite having the most powerful military in the game. Having that AND taking over cities? Still no bribe to end the war.