Why the russian special unit is so weak?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by drag79, Dec 25, 2001.

1. drag79

drag79 Chieftain

Cavalry -6.3.3
    Cossacs - 6.4.3
    What is it? Joke?
    +1 in defence is very poor for such strong unit as cavalry!

2. VooDoo

VooDoo Chieftain

Maybe you should start same topic on the Kamrad :) ?

3. VooDoo

VooDoo Chieftain

Look in the Middle Ages. Did you see knights there ? And Riders, Samurai, War Elephant ? Any more questions about joke like Cossacks :) ? And I agree with you in over question - Russia needs another SU. I suggest modified Infantry.

4. Zouave

Zouave Crusader

Why should Cossacks be so much stronger than cavalry??

It seems alright to me. I have a lot more to complain about regarding Civ III than this.

5. Zouave

Zouave Crusader

Panzers are rated at 16.8.3.

Tanks are at 16.8.2.

!!!!!!!!!

And you're complaining about Cossacks?!

I had it, Sid. I finally went into the editor and made some changes, and I started with lowering the cost for the Intellig. Agency, for espionage, and I raised the attack value of Panzers to 18. Maybe I'll bump it to 20.

6. No.Dice

No.Dice Warlord

I'd take the extra movement point over an increased attack or defense stat any day. Especially the unique offensive units with boosted defense. :(

Being the fastest ground unit of its age (I think, forgive me for not memorizing the unit tables) is certainly a big advantage.

I find the majority of my wars are won with superior mobility, more so than overwhelming force.

EDIT: On the topic, it would have been nice for Cossacks to recieve an extra offensive point instead. Would have given them a distinct advantage in waging war during the gap in the industrial age before tanks become available.

Its hard to crack those large cities defended with infantry with only cavalry at your disposal. You have to bombard cities to rubble with artillery or be prepared to attack with a 10:1 cavalry to infantry ratio.

7. drag79

drag79 Chieftain

You see - point is not that only +1 in defence
    Very bad thing is that cavalry has 3 defence and have +33% only
    It is too little
    for example tank has 2 point of movement and panzer tak +50% - 3 points
    I dont say about histrical truth
    Cossacs was light cavalry and very cheap
    Why?: Because they are the people who lives near the border and they must protect the whole emperium
    They wasnt regular army - just farmers, but w/ military tradition and weapons - so they was very good light cavalry
    But they wasnt heavy cavalry like in civ 3 :-((
    PS Voodoo - yes, and(sory for offtopic) what happaned w/ Kamprad?

8. Panda

Panda Metal head

@drag79: Well nobody will blame you if you change some values using the editor to increase your own fun experience :) That's what the editor is for ;)

As for the Panzer :love: I think Firaxis tried to emphazise WW II 'Blitzkrieg' tactics by giving it an extra movement point instead of extra attack / defense.

Of course, in reality 'Blitzkrieg' was the result of combined arms tactics, but then, Civ 3 is just a game ;)

9. VooDoo

VooDoo Chieftain

2 drag79

Very bad thing is that cavalry has 3 defence and have +33% only. It is too little

Some SU (Indian) has the same statistic as standart units. Some SU (Japan) has the same (33%) difference in defence.

for example tank has 2 point of movement and panzer tak +50% - 3 points

You dont undestand. 1 MP - standart speed of land units. 2 MP - standart average speed of land units. 3 MP - standart fast speed of land units. There is no place for percents. It is classes of movement speed. 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

I dont say about histrical truth

Cavalry unit in Civ represents regular cavalry. Cossacks are irregular. Thats why I dont see any historical truth here too :). Russia had both regular and irregular cavalry at the same time, and replacing one of them by other ... Hmmm .... It is not historically correct :).

PS Kamrad is fine :). I simply wanted to offer to you to discuss this question there. And then put the local public before the fact, that 8000 registered users of a russian game forum have distinct from official opinion on the given question :). No more and no less :).

10. Faray357

Faray357 Chieftain

I think the real advatage of Panzers is that they get 1 more movement point, and can get you an extra attack if used right. Also the extra movement lets you cover more ground much faster. Useful for wars far away from home