1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the Vikings Scenario is Trash

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Zike, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Zike

Zike Chieftain

Very disappointed with the scenario, and knowing virtually no-one plays scenarios in multiplayer, I made a video showing how terrible it is.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

Everything is trash!!!!!!!!

Duuk and criZp like this.
  3. criZp

criZp Chieftain

"I can't believe I paid 5 dollars for this"

The steam reviews are terrible, I don't know what you were expecting.

TrailblazingScot and Morningcalm like this.
  4. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

And yet, this was actually my favorite of the various scenarios. I had a lot of fun playing it. That said, I enjoy playing to play, and am less concerned about the arbitrary win.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Duuk likes this.
  5. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

the only civ 6 scenario I remember enjoying is the australia one

Inlex likes this.
  6. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I've never played a Civ scenario to the end.

7. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Congratulations, you found a way to cheese victory in a scenario. I'm sorry that ruins your enjoyment of the whole DLC.

I've only played this scenario once as Denmark and had a blast, but I actually attempted to actively engage with the scenario, cheese strategies be darned. Hitting shift-enter for the last two thirds of the scenario was your intentional choice not to actively engage and therefore you decided you weren't going to enjoy it.

Yes, there is a hole in the design of the scenario. No, that doesn't make it trash.

Karpius, pokiehl, Depravo and 4 others like this.
  8. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

While the Vikings scenario is my least favorite (Gifts of the Nile being the best, with Outback Tycoon second), it's still a bit more challenging and variable than the other VI scenarios at least. Even if it's nothing near as good as some of the dev-made scenarios for Beyond the Sword.

9. Naktis

Naktis Chieftain

WHAT?! Civ6 has scenarios too ?!?!?!?!?!?

Duuk, craney1987 and ZubieMaster like this.
  10. Larsenex

Larsenex Chieftain

Did you say they are going to make a 'Beyond the sword' type expansion for Civ 6? <<<< Holy Cow...take my money!

11. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

In the base game even. Rise and Fall doesn't have any but the DLC come with scenarios.

Alas, no. But one can hope! Civ IV's Beyond the Sword was the gold standard in expansions.

Larsenex likes this.
  12. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Chieftain

The viking scenario is trash IF you want it to be challenging to win. Yes, it's easy to win (so is Civ VI as a whole) but not everyone play this things just for the sake of beating it. I had fun playing it both times I did, I couldn't care less about the score, I just set my own challenge. It's easy to win but the AI put a good fight if you try to conquer stuff, which made it quite enjoyable. I had fun taking Paris and Britain, just passing turns was really, really far from my experience. You could try to actually play the scenario instead of cheesing it for a change. The scenario would be better if it was a challenge to actually win but that hardly make it trash.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this scenario is playable in MP. It looks like a fun scenario to play with other players.

Karpius likes this.
  13. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

At least I got new City-States and Natural Wonders from this Vikings DLC, so it ain't all bad.....:p
    I only won a game as Sweden....

14. CPWimmer

CPWimmer Chieftain

I'll admit I haven't watched this video, and probably won't - but I would like to chime in on this topic nevertheless.

The primary reason that I (and many others as well, from what I have read) dislike this particular DLC is that it was included in the DDE as one of the First Four "Free" DLCs. Many of us don't play scenarios and would not have bought this DLC otherwise. We felt that it took up the place of a more "useful" DLC slot for us. In particular I think this fed into the initial DDE value vs. cost issues that were eventually resolved quite favorably when Firaxs added DLC 5 and 6 to the DDE at no charge.

Even if it hadn't been part of the DDE, the value vs. cost compared to the other $5 DLC's (Australia, Nubia and Poland) is highly questionable. The City States and Natural Wonders are very nice, but not as nice as a new Civ. I know that I would have waited and purchased it at a reduced sale price at some later date.

15. Zike

Zike Chieftain

I don't think either of you even know what 'cheesing' means. I didn't find an exploit, I didn't cheat or abuse AI loophole. I simply played for 20 turns, then did nothing for 40. That isn't cheesing, cheesing is "Finding glitches or finding a virtually uncounterable way to beat a game" Something like Magnus Exploit, Stacking Generals, Zerg Rushing etc could be seen as cheesing, but I didn't do that. Even if you remove the 1000 points for first admiral, I still would have won. No blind defense can defend an unloseable scenario.

Ultimately a game advertised as a 'Strategy Game' needs to have some sort of strategy in it. If you cannot lose unless you're incredibly daft, then it's not strategy, it's a city builder/bad role play game.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  16. Equilin

Equilin Chieftain

A victory in a scenario is there just to make sure it is still a game. A scenario is there to put players in a situation where players can immerse themselves. Just finding that you can win without doing anything does not mean the scenario is bad. This is like saying "Oh I can set turn limit to 1 and play Rome and can win Deity immediately! Uhhh civ6 is a bad game".

On an unrelated note are you using a computer-generated voice?

17. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

You can argue semantics if you want, but that's not the real issue :dunno:

The fact remains that you decided you weren't going to engage with the scenario, so you made a decision not to enjoy it.

You seem to think a lot of things regarding Civ 6 are "trash" - honest question, why do you bother playing it if you hate so much about it?

leandrombraz likes this.
  18. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

Yeah, frankly I can think of a lot of things I'd rather spend my time on than making a bunch of videos about things I hate.

But, heck, being annoyed about stuff IS one of my favorite things. :D

19. Zike

Zike Chieftain

It's a game of great potential and little competetion, so I point out areas that need improvement since sadly the series has fallen so far by the wayside, and it's all completely ignored because some of the playerbase don't care about strategy or a challenge, but just want to roleplay and city sim.

As for the scenario, you're okay with scenarios being unchallenging?

So what is the purpose of them? Why do they have win conditions then, or achievements for beating on deity?

ZubieMaster likes this.
  20. dunkleosteus

dunkleosteus Lieutenant Commander

I don't think this victory is a cheese. Raiding is part of the Norwegian UU. It was added specifically to represent the viking raids. So you start the scenario, you have a couple ships, what do you do? You raid! Great! That makes sense. So you raid... And hey! That went pretty well! I should do this more! And then you keep raiding and in 20 turns, you've got 3000 points. You haven't tried to subvert the scenario, in fact you've been playing mostly in line with how those interactions played out, but now you're vastly ahead of the AI. You can say that the regular game is easy against the AI, but that's a totally different story. In the base game, there are tons of ways to lose to the AI: you have to keep on top of military and science production so as not to be outpaced, and when you go to war with your neighbor on deity, you can't just run your units towards their city or you'll be slaughtered. This is a scenario in which you can reasonably try to roleplay by doing a single thing for 20 turns and then be farther ahead than the AI will get in the next 30. That doesn't make any sense.

Zike likes this.