1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the Vikings Scenario is Trash

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Zike, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Hammurabbit

Hammurabbit Chieftain

Agree that the strategy you found is a bit embarrassing for the designer, it should have been found in QA if nothing else, and balanced out.

On the other hand, I find the scenario quite enjoyable, with various routes to try out (go after Poland, go after France, try to reach Constantinople, or Iberia), and wouldn't get too hung up on that one particular route is broken. I think scenarios are not only meant to be beaten, it also gives a different flavor and more well defined historical setting than a general game of civ.
    I also enjoyed the Macedonia scenario a lot, as it challenged me to play super aggressive which widened my general warring skills.

Personally I'd love to see more historical scenarios, like the Macedonia, Viking or Polish scenarios.

Siptah likes this.
  2. kingofsealand

kingofsealand Chieftain

I can see how you wouldn't enjoy this scenario if you're hooked on the score aspect, the Australian tycoon is much more competitive in that sense.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing this scenario as Norway and plan to do so again as one of the more combat heavy picks. The scenario really shines not for competitive but roleplay reasons. It does a fine job of giving you the means to achieve ends any viking could be proud of.

There really is a ton to keep you busy too, work towards exploring to find vinland, send ships around Iberia to raid the rich lands to the south, takes on the barbarians to the east or the hardened peoples just across the channel in England or France. It flows nicely in stages too, where it makes sense to colonize at first and then later pump out a stream of units from your many viking colonies.

I understand why people didn't like this as an initial offerring in the DDE, but the devs more than made up for that with Indonesia and Khmer I would say. At this point I think it's a fun way to spend a couple hours but will always receive a ton of hate just for being the unwanted of the intital DDE bunch.

Siptah likes this.
  3. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

I think this is it, and it elevates them above being wholly bad DLC, in my opinion.

They certainly suffer from balance issues as the OP so easily shows, and this is hardly the worst example - I believe the Poland scenario is essentially unloseable in the sense that Vienna practically never seems to fall to the various barbarian hordes.

I suppose with everything else needing to be done, the scenarios never see more than cursory playtesting. But despite this I've had fun with all of them - especially the Gifts of the Nile scenario with its wonderful unique art work.

Zike likes this.
  4. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Chieftain

It's challenging to do certain tasks in the scenario, that's what I'm okay with. Same as the main game, you can win blindfolded, the challenge is on how you do it, what you set yourself to do and achieve along the way. I just completed an emergency against Germany on the last turn, which was hard because of the CS location, it forced me to fight in a way I usually don't (recklessly). Did I need to complete the emergency to win the game? No. Do I need that CS or the emergency reward? No. Could I eliminate Germany from the game without much effort? Yes. Did I have fun completing the emergency? Absolutely, it was a challenge on itself. I already won the game on turn 1, I'm playing because I enjoy the experience regardless of how hard it's to fulfill a victory condition. If achieving victory was harder the experience would be better for sure but still, I enjoy it. It's hard to see as trash something I enjoy.

The problem is that the AI don't raid and can't really conquer anything, so they are handicapped against the player. The real competition in the scenario is the factions that aren't competing for the ultimate victory, conquering them can be a challenge. They produce a lot of units and their units are quite strong.

Karpius likes this.
  5. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos Supporter

Pretty sure Civ 2 Fantastic Worlds was the best expansion. The quality and variety of the civ 2 scenarios far surpasses anything seen since. The editor made it easy to produce unique events. Even I was able to use it to "improve" on a Lord of the Rings scenario.

A personal favorite? Red Front: http://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Red_Front

:)

6. Trengilly

Trengilly Chieftain

All of the Civ6 Scenarios are painfully easy to win. The Australia one you just settle a few cities and then chop your way to victory. The Nubian/Egypt is a cakewalk. Polish one you just hunker down and win by default. In the Asia religious game you spend the fist half the game building up your army of religious units and then in the second half send a carpet of doom across the world. The Alexander scenario is an exercise in rolling over cities - the only challenge is doing it fast enough to pick up the steam achievement.

All that said -- I loved every one of them! For each it took a game or so to learn how they worked. You got to play on interesting new maps. And of course they typically added a new civ or two to the game.

The Viking game - if you don't care about the scoring - is actually the BEST balanced war scenario. Trying to conquer Europe as any of the Viking nations is actually challenging and fun! Heck its the only time I've ever used berserkers! (certainly not bothering to build them in regular Civ6)

I'm completely happy spending trivial amounts of cash for many hours of amusing diversion.

Equilin likes this.
  7. MrMorph

MrMorph Chieftain

As a small offtopic, I would like to say, that I really like Vikings DLC, cause of really nice city states that were added to the game. It should be priced lower, since there aren't any new Civs to play with, but still those city states are nice addition to the game.

I never played scenario though, except for Alexander the Great, which was really boring.

8. Duuk

Duuk Champion of Colorblindness Supporter

Is it bad that I came to the thread to post this exact thing?

Naktis likes this.
  9. Karpius

Karpius Chieftain

What a revelation! A computer game is easy to beat!

Well, I see no point in playing now.

Oh when I think of all those hours wasted in building my empires to my standards only to learn that the only victory conditions that matter are easily achieved. I feel such the fool! I will never look at Civ6 the same way again!

Thank you, OP, for showing me the error of my ways.

kingofsealand likes this.
  10. dunkleosteus

dunkleosteus Lieutenant Commander

Sarcasm can be funny. Too much sarcasm is toxic.

11. Karpius

Karpius Chieftain

I was going for toxic. I figured it matched the tone of the video.

12. Duuk

Duuk Champion of Colorblindness Supporter

Incorrect. There is no such thing as too much sarcasm.

13. KingCheops

KingCheops Chieftain

The only I didn't like about it is that it is not the Polynesian scenario from Civ5. Redo that one please!!!!

kingofsealand likes this.
  14. dunkleosteus

dunkleosteus Lieutenant Commander

Sarcasm gets its point across pretty quickly. When you use exaggeration to make someone's point of view look silly or wrong, that's one thing. It's something we do a lot and that's acceptable, but if you keep doing it, you're just disrespecting them for no reason. Like, you said what you wanted to say. You made your point, so why keep going?

15. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

It would have been a nice tutorial scenario on how to play Vikings. But as a standalone DLC that didn't give any extra civs, it does seem a bit questionable. I wouldn't buy it personally, but then again I didn't buy any of the extra civ DLCs either.