1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why use Slavery?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ianfuture, Aug 3, 2009.

1. ianfuture

ianfuture Chieftain

I know a lot of people and AI's uses Slavery, but I still can't quite see why I should ever bother. The unhappiness reduces productivity in a city. If all the people in my city are happy why sacrifice any ?

Please explain why and how Slavery is used? I feel I may be missing a tactic here.

Thanks..
    Ian

2. Valynor

Valynor Chieftain

Slavery is very tough to understand and use correctly and I'm very far from knowing all the chances it gives.

But, starting from the easy stuff, it's very useful in the opening fase, when you have to build the early infrastructure of your new cities. Monuments, granaries, court houses, I mean.
    That soon in a city's life you don't have to bother about happiness and city can be up and running very fast.

Second easy use: you capture enemy's cities and instead of looking the people starving you can exploit the unavoidable deaths to build something useful, like a theatre, i.e.

Then there are more complicated feature, like the overflow (to avoid the penalty to the whip on building wonders), the possible use of the Globe Theatre, the Kremlin' bonus (it applies on whipping too) and maybe meny more that I'm not aware of :)

3. huh?

huh? Warlord

In the early game, it is very easy for your cities to stop growing because the cities have reached their "happiness cap". You don't have the techs to build happiness building or the resources connected to impact happiness yet.

At this point you can whip a citizen or two for production or let that potential production go to waste. If you whip, then you will have that unhappy citizen for 10 turns. That is ok becuase you are still under the happiness cap. It will take the 10 turns for the population to grow back anyway. It is a careful balancing act.

There have been a couple of games that my capitol was a very high food production city. I whipped and whipped and whipped. Sure the happiness penalty was killing me after that much whipping, but I was able to accomplish my short term goals, and my capitol was able to grow out of the unhappiness.

4. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

slavery is among the most powerful civics you can have
    b/c farms are easy to build, smaller cities easier to manage and the conversion food->hammers is beyond good.
    There are many ways to work around the unhappiness but most of all it goes on its own after n turns (6-quick, 10-normal, 15-epic, 30-marathon)

There are many other reasons, yet the bolded part is that most important, though.
    There are many games I don't switch off slavery at all.

5. sosasoser

sosasoser Chieftain

I'm not exactly an optimal user of slavery, but there really is not a more valuable tool in the early game. I use it primarily to manage my happy cap while also being able to work the best tiles and get some quick production.

For example, if my second city is a commerce cite near floodplains, I'll be wanting to work as many floodplain cottages as possible so they can grow faster. That can quickly lead to excess food problems. So, I work the cottages and when the city is about to grow to big, I whip out an important build. This allows me to grow the cottages and develop the city without having to stagnant my growth by working suboptimal tiles.

6. Willem

Willem Deity

Well that's the key, they're not always going to be happy early in the game. I only use the whip when a city has passed it's happy cap. There's no point in having more people there since they're not going to be productive anyway, so I'll whip something and get some use out them.

7. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Here's something. I had a high happiness cap (HR with a few units in my cities), and some of my high foods cities had poor production. After getting in a terrace in the cities, I started whipping out buildings (forges, courthouses, that type of thing). With the overflow I would build a cheap unit (quecha) and that would balance the unhappiness, give me tons of production, and seriously help with maintenance and hammers.

8. volbound1700

volbound1700 Emperor

It is necessary in Rhye's and Fall of Civilization. I played Egypt on it the other day and needed 500 Culture by 100 BC and 3 wonders and I used Slavery to whip out Wonder after Wonder to produce cultural, etc.