1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Why was curt banned?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Xeven the God, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xeven the God

Xeven the God Democratic-Marxist

I don't mean to turn this into a flame thread or diss A of A's moding style, but why was curt banned for discussing religion in the "What is Pagan" thread? I don't see anything wrong with his comments. Am I missing something?

:confused:

2. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

I believe he had also initiated some more anti-religion posts elsewhere. Bearing in mind, CFC here is to foster a feelgood community; therefore steps were taken to clamp down on that. I think he had been warned a few times prior to banning as well.

Also finally, Curt created a DL to defend his Curt posts or something; so he got his ban extended to 1 week. :rolleyes:

3. gonzo_for_civ

gonzo_for_civ Chicken Walker Retired Moderator

Well, this is mostly it. The DL most likely isn't a DL, just a poster with the same IP which curt claims is a friend. This is mainly respected as Curt is a veteran poster. As to whether the ban will be a week or 3 days is being debated still.

4. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

Hmm, that'd make much more sense. I'm bewildered that a veteran like Curt would do such a thing as that (creating a DL) just to continue his argument, fr a third party perspective.

And gonzo, is it really wise that you keep leaking out all these bits of information fr staff? :D Not that I am complaining, but just wondering. :)

5. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

It's already decided: 3 days. He will be unbanned Tuesday night. As gonzo said, Curt is a pretty mature poster and should be treated like one. I do hope he could limit his religion bashing in the future. :) I don't feel offended by it but some people do (unfortunately).

6. gonzo_for_civ

"And gonzo, is it really wise that you keep leaking out all these bits of information fr staff? "

Don't reveal my purpose in front of Thunderfall! I thought we had an arragement :(

Actually, I only released the tip of the Iceberg, it's been quite interesting in there :) <-- shouldn't have told you that......

j/k :D

7. King_Dead

King_Dead Chieftain

I want to clear something up, I am King Dead,
    I know Curt, cause he is my friend off of the computer.

But I let him use my account to view the reason he got banned
    cause he couldn't log on to see it himself.

BUT HE NEVER POSTED anything, I wouldn't let him.

A ban is a ban

So pleez guys do not listen to any silly rumours.

8. gonzo_for_civ

We believe you king. And we wouldn't want to have you leave because of a bunch of rumors. We're glad to have you here and hope you stay with us!

9. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Its still possible to view all the threads without logging in...

10. King_Dead

King_Dead Chieftain

I dont plan to leave any time soon.

Im just sticking up for my bro!

11. starlifter

starlifter Chieftain

Can't the server reject/ban by an IP or by an address range? I used to do that to some folks even in real-time online gaming servers, so I presume an advanced BBS of today can. That would reject even a guest who had not logged in, but not reject someone from Kinkos, an airport, an internet cafe, etc. :cool:

12. King_Dead

King_Dead Chieftain

I don't think CUrt would go to a cafe just so he could post here.
    He told me he has been spending his time catching up on his
    art and drawing and playing civ3.

13. damunzy

damunzy recovering former mod Retired Moderator

Uh, didn't he send a PM through your account though?

I don't believe that AoA has his email listed so my suggestion is to send an email to TF if you really got to complain.

And I have to say that I saw the views of the post as a bit trollish and I directed AoA's attention in the matter. A discussion on Paganism is great! Putting down Christianity is not. :(

(I am not a Christian so don't think I am just defending my religion. I defend them ALL. :))

The bit I found uneccessary:
    Christianity has a goal of making men into unhappy slaves? Come on Curt, even you don't think this is a good line. This would have been a better line:
    Simon Darkshade has a goal of making men into unhappy slaves. ;)

More uncessary Christian bashing:

14. Lefty Scaevola

Lefty Scaevola Moderatus Illuminatus Super Moderator

And some of us are also NOT AT ALL offended by such, but are comtemptuous (at least as at civfanatics where trolling is not the accepted culture) of that of his posts which put forth nothing of substance in the debate but were clearly designed to insult, inflame, and troll.

Heed well the preceeding, all ye mortal posters

15. damunzy

damunzy recovering former mod Retired Moderator

Ohhhhh, pretty orange-red. Yeah, I concur, I think. Not offended, but I dislike seeing others being put down.

16. floppa21

floppa21 Crusty Manhole

PH, "Christianity has a goal of making men into unhappy slaves"... Well, it does eschew a lot of things that are pleasurable if you think about it... But that's why I posted the one line I did in that thread... Nietzsche wrote a lot along those lines about Christianity depriving men of things to the point of sacrificing TOO much... Not to turn this into that religion thread but I didn't read that as trolling... (I do feel the same as him in some ways though so...) :) And of course, I haven't read anything else that pushed this banning along.

On the other hand, someone got banned! I like it! :goodjob:

17. King_Dead

King_Dead Chieftain

It was a silly situation.
    I myself have no problem with religions.
    I like that are many different people with different views.

Yes, I let him use my account to PM but only ONCE. I have to admit religion is about the only thing I disagree with curt on.
    But I hope he will learn his lesson. Guess he can be questioned whenever he comes back.

18. Becka

Becka M AS IN MARTINI

What he said in the Pagan thread really didn't offend me at all- it was the latter pages of the abortion thread and the Biblican history ancestors thread that I thought were most "offensive".

:rolleyes:

19. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

AoA showed me that post yesterday. I guess it IS offensive to people who consider the Bible a holy book.

I am not religious not because I think those ancient texts are garbages, but because I realize most religions teach people to be good. Why waste time on religious stuff if you are already good and think you can continue to be good? ;)

20. Alcibiaties of Athenae

Alcibiaties of Athenae Imperator

Let me make this clear, so everybody understands.

There is a right way and a wrong way to debate a religous question.

If he doesn't care for a religion, he should say something along the lines of "In my opinion, many bad things have been done in the name of (fill in the name of religion), blah blah blah...", not what he did say.

A hate attack will not be tolerated, whether it is aimed at Christians, jews, muslims, YOU NAME IT.

If anybody can't understand why I won't allow such a thing, they are either:
    A)Stupid
    B)Hateful
    C)there is no third possibility.

Let me make this plain, because some people don't seem to understand:
    I treat ALL OF YOU EXACTLY THE SAME.
    All of you.
    I NEVER make decisions in haste or in anger, even if the langauge may seem like it.

Curt had been warned before this week, otherwise I would have warned him not to do that, you will notice the thread was allowed to continue.

I might also add that the thread was "what is a pagan", not "what religion(s) do you hate and why." :rolleyes:

Curt is welcome to return after his time is done, the same as anybody else, but I caution him, and anybody else, stop a moment and Think before you post something, if it's going to hurt someone for no reason, DON'T POST IT.

Easy, yes? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.