Why was my city only working one tile?

Innawerkz

I'm the other white meat.
Hey, completely new to the game and played my first match last night with a friend.

Playing the game as the Romans, it's around the 1500's when I settle a coastal city. In it's 3 x 3 radius I had Fish, Dyes, 2 Forest Tiles, and a lot of Grassland.

The city had reached size 5 and was still only working the Fish. Great tile, but I felt there were other ones that it could have worked as well.

Why was it only working that one tile? The way I understand it is that Population relates to the size of your workforce for that city - so shouldn't it have been working 5 tiles?

Unless you micromanage your tiles--using Custom instead of, say, Balanced or Food--the game will assign workers according to its own logic. I see this a lot on one tile islands, where the game opts to use just one tile as a way of forcing more food and production when what I want is more science and/or gold.

All you need to do is go under Manage Workers and choose custom, then assign your workers to your own choices of tiles. :)

Hey, completely new to the game and played my first match last night with a friend.

Playing the game as the Romans, it's around the 1500's when I settle a coastal city. In it's 3 x 3 radius I had Fish, Dyes, 2 Forest Tiles, and a lot of Grassland.

The city had reached size 5 and was still only working the Fish. Great tile, but I felt there were other ones that it could have worked as well.

Why was it only working that one tile? The way I understand it is that Population relates to the size of your workforce for that city - so shouldn't it have been working 5 tiles?

The probable reason was that you had the city on balanced and at the same time produced something that cost a lot of hammers. Then the city manager might automatically assign 4 out of 5 workers to work "in the city" and thus produce 1 hammer per worker. The 5th worker was on the fish square to grow the city. Strange though, when you had 2 forest tiles.

The learning is a the above speaker said as well, you have to be more active in managing the city workers.

Get it now. I see how unassigned workers function now. Thanks for the explanations.

Top Bottom