Why won't America revolt?

phillipwyllie

Wannabe Deity
In my current game the world has just taken out Japan. I have just used a GM on America to take him to Influential and as such they are in 'Revolutionary Wave'. I've gifted all of the cities I captured from Japan to America to put him over the unhappiness threshold to revolt to Autocracy. America won't revolt though, in fact Kyoto revolts back to me several turns later. I though if a civ was in 'Revolutionary Wave' the civ revolted to the preferred ideology when the unhappiness reaches -20 or below, or am I wrong?

I've provided the save just before I win a CV, I use Religion - Fixed Prophets and Info Addict

Attachments

• AmericaWontRevolt.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
Some civs are really stubborn when it comes to changing ideologies & some just don't care

I had Maria Theresa in a similar scenario as i tried to get her to revolt to freedom from autocracy. I had her on revolutionary wave and she was still marrying cses. She had very high unhappiness (30ish) but she kept autocracy and eventually recovered to content.

Worst time was I was up against the Iroquois as my major rival, but I not only managed to get my Order up first, but have it stacked pretty good so there was plenty of pressure. I was also pumping out a ton of Tourism, and most of the world was my religion.

As a result most of the world was leaning to or already Order. The Iroquois however went Autocracy and was down to like -47 Happiness. The Netherlands, who went into revolt either had cities flipping to me, or spawning barbarians like crazy.

Then, somehow The Iroquois pulled off a successful vote for Autocracy as the World Ideology, and goes right back to being content...

I ended up losing a CV because I couldn't get the last 20% on him, but it went from easy victory to horrible loss because he just refused to flip.

Worst time was I was up against the Iroquois as my major rival, but I not only managed to get my Order up first, but have it stacked pretty good so there was plenty of pressure. I was also pumping out a ton of Tourism, and most of the world was my religion.

As a result most of the world was leaning to or already Order. The Iroquois however went Autocracy and was down to like -47 Happiness. The Netherlands, who went into revolt either had cities flipping to me, or spawning barbarians like crazy.

Then, somehow The Iroquois pulled off a successful vote for Autocracy as the World Ideology, and goes right back to being content...

I ended up losing a CV because I couldn't get the last 20% on him, but it went from easy victory to horrible loss because he just refused to flip.

That's what Maria Theresa did, she pulled off a autocracy world ideology and that's how she came back. The world ideology however got removed by Elizabeth who was order ideology and had many allies.

I've also had trouble switching Maria Teresa, even when she is in Revolutionary Wave. In fact, none of her cities even flipped, but I think that was because she managed to stay close to positive happiness.

Civs can have as much ideological unhappiness as you want, if their overall(empire) happiness drops below -20 then cities will revolt(civil resistance), or the civ will revolt(revolutionary wave). I always thought -20 was the magic number the revolution always occurs. Perhaps it's to do with the relative influence differences. If you're dominant and they are unknown then the chance is higher for them to revolt.....

I'm interested in the AI reasoning too, I've had plenty of cultural games where I'm just waiting for my opponents to revolt but they never do despite constant city-flipping and unhappiness in the 20s.

Then one game I've had Bismarck conquer Egypt in the industrial era and the unhappiness from all his new puppets caused him to change from autocracy to my order, and this was before most other civs even had an ideology yet!

Top Bottom