1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why won't civs deal with me?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by garric, Feb 28, 2005.

1. garric

garric Chieftain

I'm playing regent right now, and I'm doing pretty well except for one thing : Other civs won't deal with me! Anything!
    I try to trade for techs but they say "They will be insulted for this deal" even if I offer everything I can. I can't even trade for territory map and world map because they don't want to! They act like the world map is priceless.

I'm at war with Egypt and I just conquered all but 1 city and they won't accept my envoy! None of the civs want an alliance with me, or right of passage, or to even create a military alliance against civs THEY ARE AT WAR AGAINST. I.E England is attacking Egypt and so am I, and they are polite with me, but they won't join in an alliance with us. Well, can someone help me out?

I'm playing Vanilla.

2. Percy

Percy Cow who laughs

maybe you broke many treaties (willingly or not) and so they just don't want to deal with you ?

3. garric

garric Chieftain

I declared war on Egypt, and China, several times, that affects me???

4. Imaginos

Imaginos Chieftain

Ya, probably you have a bad rep with the other civs. So, they could be unwilling to trade with you.

Maybe the other civs don't need what you have to offer at your terms. Maybe you have to trade with them under their terms. Have you tried asking the other civ what they want from you? For a particular tech that they have and you require.

5. Paasky

Paasky Good News Everyone!

Breaking ROP's, MPP's and just-signed Peace Treaties isn't good for your reputation. Wait a couple of hundred turns, maybe they'll then be more friendly.

6. rysingsun

rysingsun Chieftain

it could. if by doing so you break a treaty then it will cause a permanant reputation hit. also how do you declare war? do you ...

A) open the diplomacy window, contact the ai and declare war or do you
    B) tromp a knight into their territory and attack their spearman, thus declaring war?

if you do "B" you will suffer a bad rep hit because you declared war while in their territory. granted you could have declared war and then entered their territory the same turn and suffered no reputation hit. the game is kind of picky about you following proper battle etiquette.

7. rschissler

rschissler Chieftain

Wow, is this really true?

8. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

I'm afraid it is.

9. thunder

thunder Chieftain

If you have trade with a civ and then you go to war against that same civ. That is like a double hit, because you broke trade and you went to war without declaring it. Not a very good idea.

10. Renata

Renata homicidal jungle cat GOTM Staff

To answer the original questions --

If the response from your trade advisor is "they'd never agree to such a deal", then one of two things is true. Either a) your reputation is shot or b) the deal is impossible in some way.

To check if a) is true, do the following. Make sure your income is positive (i.e. you're not losing money at the moment. Adjust sliders if necessary to ensure a positive income; you can always move them back to where you want them afterwards.) Open diplomacy with any AI civ. Offer a gift to them of 1gpt -- nothing on their side of the table, nothing else on yours. If the AI will accept, your trading rep is fine. If the AI won't, your rep is shot. You will not be able to offer gpt, luxes or resources for anything other than gpt, luxes and resources on the other side, except in peace deals.

There are several ways b) can be true. You might be asking for more gpt than the AI civ has. You might be trying to trade a city. You might be asking for a trade embargo against a civ that the civ you're talking to is already trading with. I think there are also a few other such cases.

If on the other hand, the trade advisor's response is "insulted", or if the AI civ says something like "can't make a deal at this time", then your problem is simply that you're not offering enough. Things do get pricey as you move up in levels; you just have to adjust. World maps are *very* expensive, so do your own exploring as much as possible to reduce the price. Sell your own map for good money -- particularly lucrative if you get to the map-trading tech first and so can offer your map around before other civs that know part or all of your territory can trade theirs. Get to a tech first and sell it for others or for gpt -- the higher you go in levels the harder this gets to pull off, but also generally the better it pays off, because AI civs will have more money to offer.

As far as envoys go, it takes a certain number of turns before the AI will talk to you. Roughly four or five turns at a minimum, even if you're doing heavy damage. (If you're on the losing side, or if there hasn't really been much fighting, it may take much longer.) Just wait Egypt out -- if you've done enough damage, once they do talk, they'll offer you a nice settlement. (Provided they have anything to offer, of course!)

Have fun,
    Renata

11. Swiss Bezerker

Swiss Bezerker Chieftain

What many people dont know is IF U MAKE PEACE WITH A CIV U HAVE A MILITARY ALLIANCE AGAIST, THE CIV U HAD THE ALLIANCE WITH WILL BECOME FURIOUS