1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why won't my lazy Great Leader work!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by me_and_kg, Apr 30, 2004.

1. me_and_kg

me_and_kg Trying for deity

I'm playing this game as the Persians with C3C on deity, and after a short war with the Babylonians I got a military Great Leader, which I sent back to my capital to use on an important wonder later on, like you do. After the war I made a beeline straight for literature so I could get the great library. Anway, the strange thing is that although I can tell a city to build the Great Library, I can't hurry it with my leader. I can hurry other buildings, such as a library or a granary but as soon as I set the city to build the GL, the hurry-with-leader icon disappears and I can only build an army! Any idea why this is? I've never encountered anything like this before.

2. Nad

Nad Known Troublemaker

because military great leaders (MGLs) cannot rush great wonders in Conquests...they can rush small wonders (such as forbidden palace) but not great wonders, like the Pyramids or Great Library. Only scientific great leaders (SGLs) can rush great wonders in Conquests.

3. me_and_kg

Oh you're joking - that sucks! Although I can see the logic in it, it does feel like cheating when you use a leader on a great wonder. Oh well, guess I'll have to save him for the forbidden palace instead.

4. Denarr

Denarr Chieftain

I don't see why it should feel like cheatingÂ…
    Firaxis had to compensate somehow for the removal of the ability to use Caravans and Freight to speed up the building of Wonders, although using units as resources make more sense than some guy wandering into town and Wishing the wonder into existance.

5. Kiech

Kiech Chieftain

Your first leader and you aren't making an army? Heh.

6. me_and_kg

No of course I'm not making an army. Can't you read I wanted to hurry the great library but I can't because it's C3C.

7. DS_Legionary

DS_Legionary Chieftain

Armies are WAY better in C3C. So the first MGL should probably go for an army. Armies get +1 to movement and line of sight. Plus the ability to attack more than once per turn. They have been seriously beefed up since PTW. In fact I'm currently winning my first game on emperor, thanks to an early great leader that I used to make an army.

8. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Chieftain

DS_Legionary is right,you should consider creating an army with the leader.I know your intention was the GL-but this leader will help you in absolutely no way getting it.So it's no argument against making an army.Of course you can save it for the FP, but you will miss the chance to get MGLs again as long as you have him araound, you will not be able to build the hero and after the change the working of the FP, rushing the FP with a leader isn't longer a must - it is best build in cities with medium corruption and a decent amount of production.
    And of course you can use the army to conquer the GL if someone else builds it...

9. Jurimax

Jurimax Duke of Flanders

What may be another argument in creating an army was mentioned by SirPleb in his great Sid game (in the HOF forum: MUST READ). When your army is of reasonable strength, the AI will NEVER attack it when it is not in a city (unless it is seriously damaged). So IMHO, the first military leader should always create an army.

Greetz Jurimax.

10. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Chieftain

This is sadly true - but there is an important exception in later stages of games...I notice the AI loves to target armies in field with bombers.

11. Moonsinger

Moonsinger Settler Retired Moderator

They also love to launch cruise missle at the armies in the field too. Just send your armies unprotected to their border. Next turn, they would launch all their cruise missles at your armies.