1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why wont other civs vote for open markets?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Nobody, May 6, 2014.

1. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

When ever i propose open markets in the UN everyone votes against it. I don't understand its a good thing.

Also i have never been able to do a UN war, a trade embargo or a city reasignment. Iv done those in the Religious un but never in the normal one.

2. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

I have proposed open markets in the UN many times. Sometimes it fails but usually it succeeds. Most likely has to do with diplo status and how far tech advanced the AIs are. Keep trying and you will see success.

As to your other question, those three items are not UN options. They are only available as AP options.

3. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

IIRC the AI picks resolutions and decides how to vote at complete random.

4. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

Ok thanks for the info ill keep trying. As for the other options on my victory conditions screen under "resolutions" it lists UN war resolution

5. nfw

nfw King

I've seen UN city reassignment, but never embargo or declare war.

6. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

Are you sure you're not seeing AP war resolutions and reading it as UN? As I recall, both UN & AP resolutions are on the same screen.

7. CaterpillarKing

CaterpillarKing Conqueror of Cacoons

I know there are trade embargoes because it is called an embargo in UN. In AP I think it is just stop trading with a certain player. It wouldn't make sense to put a trade embargo in AP but not UN... I could be wrong though.
    As for the open market thing it is probably just programmed that way so no matter what your enemies can try to jam up your wheels of progress.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

8. Level36

Level36 Chieftain

1. You can use AP to declare war, however.
    2. I used a UN vote to give me a city, New York.
    3. Somehow, when I try to propose open markets, even my 4 vassals disagree and vote no.

9. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

That's odd.. I usually have had open markets work out.. Maybe the AIs don't want you to win a diplomatic victory :)

10. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I think it may have to do with leader personalities - for example You can expect that Willem Van Oranje will vote "yes" and "Mao Tse Tung" will vote "no" ... I think ;) and then read his little red book and than put it in the great library of his and than ! read it again !

Ps. Oh yes btw. UN is very useful tool for banning nukes if You can't afford to have them ;) Oh and this vote is always very clear no matter the personalities - simply the nations that don't have means to have or posses nukes will vote in favor for banning them ;)

11. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

Reason why I always play with diplo win available - to get UN vote (1st I choose) and ban nukes :)

12. traius

traius His own worst enemy

Never use the UN to ban nukes. They are the easiest way to dominate the late game. Losing space? 2 tactical nukes and any troop (v. often paratroopers, but w/e) and boom, there goes their main city. Tactical nukes offer the best return out of any unit in the game. Never casually dismiss this unit with the UN. Only do it if your victory in space is already assured.

13. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Another nuke hater here. I used to use the UN to ban nukes. Then I decided to change the physics of my CIV universe. Fission and fusion still make good power sources for ships and spaceships but they no longer explode. How? I altered the XML to make Manhattan Project impossible to build.

14. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Very clever Mr. Bernbaum ^^ It makes sense to use uranium as a fuel source :) As for fusion power I've invented a TV commercial for it :D :

( Dramatis Personae :

Harry - the salesman
    Larry - the assistant
    Garry - the voice in the background
    &
    Clyde - the client )

(The stage is dark - we can't see anything and sudennly there's a laud noise *clonk!* and we hear Clyde's voice)

Clyde - Dang ! Who put that in here ?! Why it's always so dark ?

Garry - Let there be light ! (we can see a brilliant flash of light ! There's some kind of a generator looking device in the middle of the room emiting rays of sunlight)

Clyde - Gee ! Whats that !?
    (Harry - a man in checkered suit enters the stage)

Harry - Why it's our brand new Powertron 9000 TM ! With a flip of the switch You can have Your very own sun !

Clyde - Wooow ! But how does it work ?

Harry - Why You simply add water, stir and let it cooks ! It's so simple even a child can do it ! Let me show You !)

(Larry the assistant enters the stage with a bucket o' water and puors it down the funnel on the left side panel of the Powertron 9000 TM! .... *glug* *glug* *glug*. Larry than flips the switch and we can hear a *whiiiiiiiir* noise as the generator starts working, suddenly there's a new flash of briliant light energy and the stage fades into white. The company logo falls down from above.)

Garry - Fusion Power ! Now ! A portable fusion generator in every household ! Because everyone deserves to have a sun of their own ! bucket o' water not included.