Why won't this city flip?

WaxonWaxov

Warlord
It's been like this (0% Greek) for a while.....

Attachments

• willnotflip.jpg
    willnotflip.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,465
Did they take this city from you? Because captured cities will never flip back to their original owner, no matter how grim it looks.

I think my explanation is more likely, because your answer begs the question : why didn't it revolt?

Also, these info may be obscure to you, but nearly 90% were obvious to me before reading your thread, and i hadn't even played the game yet! (so just from reading other articles, etc.)

If Alex has Hereditary Rule, his garrison of 4, city size of 1 is probably keeping the one guy more than happy.

Is the cultural pressure only applied through unhappiness? I didn't know that. In that case, anything that increases happiness (even ressources) would be enough to prevent the revolt.

I thought it worked separately from standard happiness though.

Zombie69 said:
I think my explanation is more likely, because your answer begs the question : why didn't it revolt?

Also, these info may be obscure to you, but nearly 90% were obvious to me before reading your thread, and i hadn't even played the game yet! (so just from reading other articles, etc.)

Really.

You knew 9 of the following 10 just from reading other articles:

1) Gunships can cross peaks.
2) Ground units have a chance of interception when the airplane is attacking the square it's on OR an adjacent square (Note the OR part)
3) Animals Will not move into areas within National Borders (this includes if you found a city right next to them, they will move OUT of the Borders created).
4) We Love the King Days (WLTKD) occur in cities of size 8 or higher w/ no unhappy citizens and no food loss to health. Effect = No city maintenance for 1 turn.
5) City must revolt 2 times before flipping (it flips after the second revolt)
6) Defensive Pacts are nullified if either partner attacks somebody
7) Cease Fire - All units are vacated from each other's territory. However, either side can declare war immediately after it's declared
8) Wonders cannot be destroyed by nukes
9) Nukes never damage roads or rails.
10) If you wait too long to go back to a partially completed item, there will be a 'decay" of production over time.

If you say you do, either you spend WAY too much time on the forums (like 24 hours a day), you read different "articles" than I do, or you're mistaken.

Req

Zombie69 said:

Oh yeah, BTW, Argos is a GREEK city name, so it is EXTREMELY unlikely that they "took this city from him." Of course, I guess that's in that 10% that's NOT obvious to you (I guess not knowing Greek mythology is part of that).

ED: Oh yeah, therefore, you're explanation is NOT more likely. My answer does bring up the question of "Why didn't it revolt?" but it DOES answer the OP's original question. AFAIK, nobody yet knows how and when revolts occur.

Req

its a pop 1 city and got 4 units garrisoned in there, because of the high garrison vs. population ratio, the chance of revolt is extremely low. And as for captured cities won't flip, it only applies during war time. If you still at war with that civ, the city he captured or you captured will never flip, but once you sign a peace treaty, the chance of flip is there. A large garrison force reduces revolt chance significantly.

No, captured cities won't flip does not only apply during war time. A city you capture from an opponent cannot flip back to that opponent, unless you turned on the flag to allow it. It can flip to a different opponent, and it can experience revolts. The revolts will never lead to a flip, however.

Also, cities do not need to revolt twice before they flip. On the first revolt they won't flip. On the second revolt there is a chance they will flip. And on the third (and final) revolt, they will flip. This assumes, of course, that they are allowed to flip - otherwise they will just continue to revolt.

Bh

Bhruic said:
No, captured cities won't flip does not only apply during war time. A city you capture from an opponent cannot flip back to that opponent, unless you turned on the flag to allow it. It can flip to a different opponent, and it can experience revolts. The revolts will never lead to a flip, however.

I assume you mean back to THAT opponent, otherwise, you're contradicting yourself.

Bhruic said:
Also, cities do not need to revolt twice before they flip. On the first revolt they won't flip. On the second revolt there is a chance they will flip. And on the third (and final) revolt, they will flip. This assumes, of course, that they are allowed to flip - otherwise they will just continue to revolt.

Bh

Well, according to the Civilopedia, they need to revolt twice before flipping. Unless you're saying that the city won't necessarily flip after the second time or the Civilopedia is wrong (which could be possible), then, your statement doesn't really make much sense.

I THOUGHT that after the second revolt it flips, but I could be wrong (however, the only time I've had a culture flip, it WAS directly after the second revolt).

Req

I actually knew everything but "1) Gunships can cross peaks." Never even tried that :) The rest can be found in the manual as well, which I always read through a few times after getting a game.

Also, the manual and civlopedia sometimes contradict each other, since they were finalized different weeks before the game shipped. So you can't know for sure whether what you read in the manual or civlopedia is correct without testing it in the game; either one might be more up to date. :)

Thalassicus said:
I actually knew everything but "1) Gunships can cross peaks." Never even tried that :) The rest can be found in the manual as well, which I always read through a few times after getting a game.

Also, the manual and civlopedia sometimes contradict each other, since they were finalized different weeks before the game shipped. So you can't know for sure whether what you read in the manual or civlopedia is correct without testing it in the game; either one might be more up to date. :)

Heh, I didn't read the manual, though :p.... I know, I know. I'll get around to it sometime.

Req

Bhruic said:

Bh

Three revolts doesn't guarantee a flip, either - it's just incredibly unlikely that the city won't flip. Each revolt after the first dramatically increases the chance of a culture flip, but as far as I can tell it's never guaranteed.

Unless I failed to notice a very early revolt I have had a city flip to me on the first revolt (since I'd hit it with a culture bomb this wasn't surprising). It does seem that a large enough ratio of garrison to population will prevent a flip entirely.

Requies said:
Really.

You knew 9 of the following 10 just from reading other articles:

Maybe not these 10, but of the total posted in that thread, yes, 9 in 10.

1) Gunships can cross peaks.

Didn't know. Will probably never play with them anyway.

2) Ground units have a chance of interception when the airplane is attacking
the square it's on OR an adjacent square (Note the OR part)

Didn't know. Will probably never play with planes anyway. In civ 3, the furthest i ever got was cavalry and that was only once.

3) Animals Will not move into areas within National Borders (this includes if you found a city right next to them, they will move OUT of the Borders created).

Knew this.

4) We Love the King Days (WLTKD) occur in cities of size 8 or higher w/ no unhappy citizens and no food loss to health. Effect = No city maintenance for 1 turn. Besides, it's in the book.

Not interesting. The effect is too minimal. This won't affect my games.

5) City must revolt 2 times before flipping (it flips after the second revolt)

Knew this.

6) Defensive Pacts are nullified if either partner attacks somebody

Common sense dictates this. Also is in the book.

7) Cease Fire - All units are vacated from each other's territory. However, either side can declare war immediately after it's declared

It's in the book.

8) Wonders cannot be destroyed by nukes

In the book. But i'll probably never see nukes in my games anyway.

9) Nukes never damage roads or rails.

In the book.

10) If you wait too long to go back to a partially completed item, there will be a 'decay" of production over time.

In the forums. In the book also.

Requies said:
If you say you do, either you spend WAY too much time on the forums (like 24 hours a day), you read different "articles" than I do, or you're mistaken.

Req

True, i do spend way too much time on the forums!

Don't get me wrong though, i don't have a problem with your article per se, just with you presenting it as "obscure".

Requies said:
Oh yeah, BTW, Argos is a GREEK city name, so it is EXTREMELY unlikely that they "took this city from him."

I did notice that (and yes, greek mythology is a favorite interest of mine), however i thought he could have taken it from them and they could have taken it back. I thought this more likely than the revolt explanation, considering the amount of cultural pressure present.

Top Bottom