1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why would you ever turn units from a mil CS off?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Barking Iguana, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Barking Iguana

Barking Iguana Chieftain

Why not just gift them right back (or to another CS) to help keep influence up? Having your allies militarily stronger will usually be good, Unless you're planning to take out the CS later yourself, which is not generally a thing to do.

2. RatesAnalyst

RatesAnalyst Chieftain

I can't think of any "optimal strategy" reason. But if you're just playing out the last dozen turns to a Science Victory, the extra units can get annoying.

You're right, that the optimal thing would be to take the unit then gift it (or delete it for gold).

3. Averylongname

Averylongname Chieftain

Each military CS specialize in an UU and they will give you unit every a certain number of turns, which I can't remember.
    Say if the CS is specialized in longbow and it will give you an unit on next turn but there's two more turn before machinary . Therefore, it's better to stop for one turn and resume after machinary finish research to get longbow.

4. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I hardly ever ask military CS to not donate troops because their troops eventually become useful. Units become so useful that even disbanding them gives you gold. The only issue is that you have to pay the maintenance per unit which is an excuse why you could ask a mil CS to not give me any units.

5. asura_

asura_ Chieftain

Units cost maintenance, so if you have 2-3 military CS allies gift you a new unit in one turn you can be like 15 gold in the negative. Might not be a problem for some players with thousands in the bank, but someone might have a research drop because of this. You can sell those units of course right after you have received them.

6. layelaye

layelaye Warlord

You can always just gift the units to another civ or sell them for a tiny amount of cash. This is mainly just for endgame reasons, so you can breeze through the last few turns without being disturbed all the time.

7. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Longbow's are awesome. An early game unit with a 3-tile range?

It's like early game artillery.

8. beetle

beetle Deity

Thanks, that's very clever! This should be used IMHO anytime you are close to a tech that unlocks units with a high upgrade cost, for example, right before industrialization.
    XB -> gats is like 240 gold. Lancers to anti-tank, also expensive. Really not worth it for a unit with no XP.

9. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

It's cheaper rather rush buy it or build it.

10. Johnpecan

Johnpecan Warlord

Agreed.

11. beetle

beetle Deity

Many types of units make sense to build and/or rush buy even when close to obsolete. But units you get from a CS? Why not pause a couple turns to get the upgrade free?

12. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

Allying militaristic CS is most definitely more economical than rush buying land units. The catch is the "now" factor and having to be a little flexible on your unit types. Heroic epic could change my mind, though: I would take a rush buy there more than paying some CS without a gold CS quest.

13. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

Because, I'll forget I paused it. :D
    Or, I didn't see my influence and stop to be friend with this CSafter the new tech. :rolleyes:

All else being equal, you're right.

14. beetle

beetle Deity

Me too prolly, but still I want to experiment! (Absent mindedness is one of the main reasons I don't like micro-managing what tiles a city works.)

15. Vitruvius

Vitruvius King

This.

16. beetle

beetle Deity

I tried this in my current game, got a pike the turn before I would have gotten a lancer type CC. I reload from the turn before, stopped spawning units, and turned it back on the next turn. It took a long time before the UU showed up. I was friends/allies the whole time. I think hitting the button resents the clock to zero. I guess one would have to turn it off several many turns before. But I think the timing has a random element, so no good way to game this.