1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why would you vote Hillary Clinton?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pangur Bán, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

Question for American leftists.

In the last month or so your rex designatus -- or rather regina designata -- Hillary Clinton has been going around making obnoxious comments in interviews, everything from condemning Scottish independence to urging Snowden to hand himself in. I understand that many of the Democratic Party establishment insiders are opposed to her, and have been promoting Elizabeth Warren on the sly as a fellow female with more natural Bartlet-esque appeal among the grassroots, but Clinton's campaign machine is already built up so much that she will be very hard to dislodge.

I'm not American, but when I think of Clinton I think of the wife of the president responsible for finalizing financial sector deregulation and glorifying a culture of predation by the rich of America on the poor that is the cause of so much of your woe; I think of someone who got into high office because of her marriage, and see her looming candidacy as symptomatic of the elite nepotism and pop celebrity dynasty worship that is also the cause of so much of your woe. This is a politician without any meaningful connection to the non-political world whose ideology in 2014 is plausibly Republican.

If the presidential race ends up being Clinton against some moderate Republican, it's difficult to see the difference it would make to leftists, other than legitimizing more right-wing decisions and making some Bu****e president more likely for the next elections.

I understand she has appeal across the critical 'middle' of the American political spectrum, but I want to know why any American progressive might vote for her. So let me know and help me understand. :)

2. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Because you believe everything the news media says is infallible. An alternative answer was given long ago by Cheezy the Wiz.

3. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

Are you saying the news is promotes Clinton? To be honest, I'm not seeing that.

4. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

I mean more in that the general political philosophy of the US is perpetuated by the media. Therefore, no viable alternatives arise aside from neatly defined categories of republicans and democrats, of which Hillary is part of.

5. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

But don't committed leftists position themselves against the mainstream media? Or is that just Republicans?

6. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

I won't vote for her in the primary, but no matter her flaws, she will be a better alternative than her opponent in the general.

7. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

While I'm no US citizen, I can certainly see why you would vote for Hillary if you're a progressive.

Take any of the so called moderate republicans and you'll find that Hillary is clearly to the left of them, especially on social issues.

8. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Scottish independance would be pretty bad for both Scotland and the rest of the UK. I support the better together movement on that one.

On the other hand, Hilary Clinton ... Id actually rather vote republicans instead for that round if I lived in the US, and I despise everything about them.

9. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

:lol: We won't go there with that (though agree it would be bad for the UK).

10. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Well for one the UK would have to change its name to DK - Divided Kingdom.

11. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

She has her own planet. I respect that kind of power.

Spoiler :

12. uppi

uppi Deity

For that to happen a genuine moderate Republican would have to win the primary first, while staying moderate. That doesn't seem likely.

13. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

I think most of the moderate Republicans have been forced out of office by the Tea Party. The GOP primary will be between one or two kind of moderate Republicans having to run far to the right to keep from being run over by the clown car filled with the rest of the field.

14. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Biden's my guy. :stupid:

15. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Mainstream leftists and mainstream rightists all place themselves within the mainstream media. If you are outside the mainstream media in the US, you are pretty much considered fringe.

16. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

It wouldn't change its name actually, that's pretty clear now.

Hmm ... Fox News explicitly sell themselves as non-mainstream. And that's definitely correct, but they are not fringe. The angry old white man is central to modern US society and its democratic process.

17. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

Because the Green party can't win?

18. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

A substantial personal bribe. :shifty:

I miiiiight consider it if she was running against a barbie doll like Sarah Palin, but it's doubtful. I don't vote for anyone who supported the Patriot act, or renewed it, which is why I made the happy decision not to vote for the dear leader in '08.

19. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

20. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

If 1st past the post voting was abolished we'd be getting somewhere (Although I still think the Green Party would never get more than 5% of the vote anyway, and yes I know you're being semi-sarcastic).