Why you can play so fast?

sekong

Net Surfer
I looked at the GOTM 8 results. I was surprised to find out some could win the game, in a very short time:
Karamvir only less than 4 hour and win in 1832AD..

Is this time accurate? How could it possible. I played the GOTM 10, and won after ~30hr playing..

It's really beyond me, and I like to know...

Some have better PC.

Well, if you automate workers, turn on the governor and go for a more or less peaceful game, that might be quite possible especially with a fast PC.

I finished WOTM-1 in 5 hours. Of course, I find that rushing in playing usually results in a worse finish date.

Faster machine may expalin a difference of 2 or 3 times faster, but not 10 times faster..

I guess one thing is micromanagement, which I enjoy to do. But it may save me time if do less.

Diplomacy might be another part. Espacially with the tech trading on, you may need to check the advances of AI almost every once a while..

I laso like to explore the world, which may help me to reach other AI early, but also cost lot of time.

Is it a popular choice to have auto settler on? Maybe I should start to do so after early game...

I do prefer peaceful games. That may give me a break.. I guess if I ever get chance to play again, the goal is to win Empror level within 5 hr. :)

I usually play drunk, which speeds things up considerably.

But I do micromanage a lot more often in succession games than single player games. Partly because I don't want to let the other players down, and partly because I'm not sure they weren't full of :smoke:.

If I make a stupid mistake in a single player game it doesn't really bother me. And judging from the results, I'm one of the quicker GoTM players. (Not that my scores are all that impressive!)

But a lot depends on the victory conditions you're going for. Culture and Space race seem quicker to me than conquest or domination, and early conquest or domination actually seems to take more time than doing it later, since you need to be a lot more focused to do it properly.

Check out the other end of spectre and despair:
Cactus Pete (silver in GOTM8) time played - 216:22:09

Lexad said:
Check out the other end of spectre and despair:
Cactus Pete (silver in GOTM8) time played - 216:22:09

That would be almost ten 24-hour sessions, or almost 20 12 hour sessions. Seems improbable, if one wants to sleep, eat and pay bills.

If you leave your computer on between play sessions (or forget to turn it off when you go to sleep, as I have done a few times), a lot of idle time would log. So perhaps extremely long play times posted do not reflect actual time spent playing.

dV

Absolutely right. I used to leave my Civ3 GOTMs running in the background, and seldom quit them. Why bother? A decent modern OS hibernates inactive applications so that they don't take up significant memory or other system resources. And it shouldn't crash, either ... though that can be dealt with by a quick Control-S before going off to do something else.

You can come back to the game whenever you have a bit of time to spare, without having to dig out the CD/DVD yet again, wait for the software to launch, find and load your last save .......

Yeah-yeah, Mac rules :D

Funnily enough, I *do* rate XP as a half-decent modern OS :) Doesn't mean I have to enjoy using it though :D

I would agree that multiplayer helps your speed.

Personally I come from a RTS background (Age of Kings) so i'm used to thinking about things faster than perhaps your average civ single player gamer, although not allways the case (i may go leave the comp for an hour or something). I have only played about 5 games online in civ 4, but I can tell that i am a lot faster than anyone that I have played, with hotkeys, stack-attack unit options and fast move/quick combat options also helping (see game options).

I would agree faster PC lowers time, especially on larger maps/more AI (less time for AI to think).

Using the hotkeys helps a lot.

It also depends what you do, if you look at each city info every turn then your going to spend more time than prople (eg- me) that don't unless there is a pop increase or production finish or you need to speciallise a city (for example) you need to go more productive for war or more commerce for science/treasury.

And perhaps the most obvious, the more you play, the more you know and thus quicker you know what to do in a given situation.

Manic_

PS - Whats this? A tech guy bashing MS? Who would have thunk it! :lol:

Half - that's 50% - as in half of it's still missing :p

The biggest improvement I ever made to improve speed was to tick the box 'quick offense combat'; this means that there is no zooming camera for combat - in fact there is no movement on the screen; zoom in combat can take about 5 seconds so if you imagine how many fights you have each game those 5 seconds can really add up. That's why I'm 10 times faster and can finish a game in 1-4 hours.

Other things to speed it up are -
(note that I've spent about 300 playing hours on civ4)
- learn the tech chart (which comes from experiance) so you can simply click on what you want without thinking about it.
- Turn off wonder movies
- I micromanage workers for about the first 100 turns or when I need them to do something specific, otherwise they are on auto (In Wotm2 I have 15 workers, I am not going to micromanage them unless I need a new road built to a newly captured city)
- Let cities govern themselves; put them on maximise food until they hit size 5-6 and then let them completly manage themselves

I also agree that people that spend over 50 hours on a game have probably left it on overnight; I should know as I've done that myself a few times :p

CliftonBazaar said:
The biggest improvement I ever made to improve speed was to tick the box 'quick offense combat'; this means that there is no zooming camera for combat - in fact there is no movement on the screen; zoom in combat can take about 5 seconds so if you imagine how many fights you have each game those 5 seconds can really add up. That's why I'm 10 times faster and can finish a game in 1-4 hours.

I tried that a couple of times, but the problem I had is you click to combat the unit and *nothing* visually happens - the game instantly zooms in on the next unit to move. I'm left with no idea what the result of the combat was. (Yeah you get the notification up in the top left of the screen but that area is usually filled with notifications coming in and it's not always that obvious which one relates to that particular combat). I could really do with a 'quick combat' option that doesn't work through the motions of the combat, but does at least pause for a second or so to show you the result.

The other thing I find that slows down my game a lot when I'm warring, and I wish I could figure out a way round it, is Civ's rather unintelligent selection of units to move. I often find I start a battle, but every time I use a unit to attack, instead of then selecting the next unit in the battle, the game zooms in on some other unit at the other end of my empire, so half my battle-time is spent re-focusing the map on where the battle is. That's often quite a drain on time. I often find myself wishing that the game would intelligently order the unit cycling so it prioritizes units nearest to the one you just moved. Lately I've found I can partially solve that by using shift+click repeatedly to select all the units on a tile that I want to move then, having selected them all, click to separate them, but that only works for units that are on the same tile at the start of the turn. And the fact that if you have a lot of units on a tile, the game uses scroll bars to show them all doesn't help as you have to keep scrolling to see what's there.

All in all, I do tend to feel my game often gets slowed by the rather poor user interface for selecting and moving units.

(I also tend to wish there was an option to do all the workers first, for those times when you're building a road for your units as they travel).

DynamicSpirit said:
I tried that a couple of times, but the problem I had is you click to combat the unit and *nothing* visually happens - the game instantly zooms in on the next unit to move. I'm left with no idea what the result of the combat was. (Yeah you get the notification up in the top left of the screen but that area is usually filled with notifications coming in and it's not always that obvious which one relates to that particular combat). I could really do with a 'quick combat' option that doesn't work through the motions of the combat, but does at least pause for a second or so to show you the result.

The other thing I find that slows down my game a lot when I'm warring, and I wish I could figure out a way round it, is Civ's rather unintelligent selection of units to move. I often find I start a battle, but every time I use a unit to attack, instead of then selecting the next unit in the battle, the game zooms in on some other unit at the other end of my empire, so half my battle-time is spent re-focusing the map on where the battle is. That's often quite a drain on time. I often find myself wishing that the game would intelligently order the unit cycling so it prioritizes units nearest to the one you just moved. Lately I've found I can partially solve that by using shift+click repeatedly to select all the units on a tile that I want to move then, having selected them all, click to separate them, but that only works for units that are on the same tile at the start of the turn. And the fact that if you have a lot of units on a tile, the game uses scroll bars to show them all doesn't help as you have to keep scrolling to see what's there.

All in all, I do tend to feel my game often gets slowed by the rather poor user interface for selecting and moving units.

(I also tend to wish there was an option to do all the workers first, for those times when you're building a road for your units as they travel).
You know there is an option for turning of the automatic unit cycling? (means you have to select each unit or manually cycle though them thou)

Top Bottom