Wide 'n' Happy episode 3 Warring Washington part 1

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by Dushku, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Dushku

Dushku Prince

2. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

Nice start indeed. You should really step up to Immortal because you'll be having a lot more fun ;)

3. docbud

docbud Emperor

Nice episode. I look forward to the rest of them.

4. Dushku

Dushku Prince

5. docbud

docbud Emperor

^^Yeah--I saw that. I was wondering what was going on.

6. Dushku

Dushku Prince

7. docbud

docbud Emperor

Hey Dushku

As you know--I am your favorite fan. And I mean that.

Anyway--I know you are looking for a domination victory. And I have the game for you. Zulu and a crapload of salt. But--it's immortal (I was ticked off at emperor and selected immortal).

I am attaching the file in case you want to play it. I think you will kick butt easily.

I ended up quitting the game and starting again as even though I had a dozen impis and a half-dozen XBs I could not take Athens (which the Huns had taken). The damn knights were killing me (and I mean that literally).

I'd love to see you play this and record. I don't use any mods at all, so I'm not sure if the one you use will work. But I think you will totally kick ass if you play it.
    And I would love to watch it!

doc

View attachment Shaka_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save

p.s. I'm off to see part three. :)

p.s.: I tried to PM you, but I guess I can't attach files that way.

8. docbud

docbud Emperor

^^To add: The AIs starting postion and ruins will vary. I just played again and Suleiman forwarded settlled on me on turn 20.

Go figure..

9. Dushku

Dushku Prince

I'll take a look at it. I'm getting VERY enticed both by Immortal and the Honor tree. Since Warring Washington went far enough to be a proof of concept in terms of being Wide 'n' Happy while warring, I MIGHT abandon it.

10. stormtrooper412

thanks doc, I've been wanting to learn how to play with Zulus for a while now :) I suppose a Salt start might suggest no need for Liberty and straight into Honor :) but I'm still not sold, Liberty is much much better in getting an army quicker

@dushku: I wasn't paying close attention if you did think about it, but in Domination games, I like to dedicate a dozen turn of my capital build time to get the Great Wall up, not because I need it much, because it will be a massive pita if anyone else builds it this early

11. docbud

docbud Emperor

You're welcome stormtrooper412 and Dushku.

I forgot to mention it's set up for legendary start (that's why so much salt).

My first game I went tradition and honor and it didn't go well. So I'm going to try Liberty.

12. stormtrooper412

Well I'm gonna try both approaches and see which one fares better, obviously :)

13. docbud

docbud Emperor

^^Keep me posted. I probably should have started a new thread.

EDIT: Just finished watching Part Three. Can't wait until Part Four and see how you handle Poland! So if you're going to abandon the Washington game, at least take care of Poland first. Please :)

14. docbud

docbud Emperor

Apologies if I am hijacking this thread, but I started a game on Immortal as Arabia. I thought I had the original start, but I had just founded a city. Tons of salt again.

I am getting my butt kicked.

I'm sure that you two will do better. I don't think I'm ready for Immortal yet :(

AutoSave_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save

Attached Files:

15. Dushku

Dushku Prince

No thread jack. Thread's pretty much run its course. I had considered continuing on as per your request. When I loaded the save up, I wasn't at all pleased with where I was in light of things I've learned about domination since. Probably the biggest flaw in the series, and one that would impair my ability to step up in difficulty is my lack of consideration for diplomacy. The Honor route I've been reading up on and dabbling with sort of accommodates this :)

I played a few turns just to see how it would go. I pretty much called it: War Poland, whittle his army, get Krakow in a peace deal, raze it, upgrade to Xbows, send half my eastern army around the mountains, and converge on Warsaw:
    Spoiler :
    Notice the citadel land claim, ensuring my ability to build a road through there to my soon to be new capital :)

FWIW, the Arabia save was turn 0 instead of initial. I did play the Shaka one a bit. I don't like legendary starts. Though interestingly enough, I found a 20 faith ruin and got Earth Mother without ever building a Shrine, so that was fun(ny). Also, I just released an InfoAddict/Diplomacy values DLC modpack that allows IA to be compatible with EUI again. So I'll probably be using my own game starts since I think it gets buggy if you introduce those mods "mid-game."

16. stormtrooper412

Looks like you should be able to finish in 40-ish turns

17. docbud

docbud Emperor

I'm glad you took Krakow and used that Citadel. You are the man!

And yeah--I thought I had edited to say that Arabia was founded. I could have sworn I did an edit to say that.

I wish I could use that EUI Mod--but I'm on the Mac Apple Store version. I know it's pretty easy to use mods for the Steam version, but the Apple Store version is a pain-in-the-butt to do so far as mods. One needs to modify files and I cringe about that.

I guess I mainly offered those starts because I suck at this game. I mean--I can win Emperor and below, but I'm so afraid of war and getting my butt handed to me. You make it look so simple, but I can never seem to do it. In my Arabia game I couldn't even take one city and I had SIX camel archers and a few musketmen.

And I fell behind Egypt by a tech and a half :(

I think I need to be more aggressive. And thanks for your Washington videos. It does how that a few comp bowmen and a melee unit can take out a capital.

I wait too long.

And again--I love your videos--how you explain it and how you do it. Great job!

EDIT to Stormtroop412--I suck at this game, so far as being aggressive.

doc

18. docbud

docbud Emperor

As an aside--how come all these videos never have non-stop barbs attacking (not you specificallly)?

It is just me? I just tried a game as the Inca and I am on turn 63 and still fighting off the barb swarms. And raging barbs are not turned on.

I ended up having to build a half dozen slingers :(

19. Dushku

Dushku Prince

I am no expert, so feel free to disregard everything in this paragraph. Isn't there two versions for Mac users? I thought I remembered a patch that came out earlier this year specifically to make it easy for Mac/Linux users to mod. One thing you can do if I'm wrong about that and you have the hard drive space is to make a backup of Civ 5 someplace else. Then do all the modding you need. If it doesn't work out, just swap out your backed up versions. Or if the process you're referencing tells you specifically which files to alter, make backups of those files. It's as easy as copy and pasting the file and then renaming one of them by adding on something like ORIGINAL.

I'm sorry if I make it look easy. My intention is to make it look possible. It's only on Emperor, so trying out Immortal means you're playing a different game. Also, one of the things I'm unhappy with about this run is how quickly I went at it. It's nice to have the option, but if I had spent the early game forging relationships, I could've let them eat each other and taken advantage of picking on the bad guy instead of just any old person that got in my way.

That's actually why I've stepped up to Immortal now. I wanted the AIs to have more units and pick fights with each other so that I can take advantage of the bad blood by attacking people others dislike, staying friendly with everybody for longer.

Anyways, going back to making it look easy, you have to keep in mind that most videos I release are the result of practice. By that I literally mean reloading and trying different things over and over. I've been playing this game for a good 8 months now and I still consider myself learning the game. These videos are like on the job training. I get to help people with less experience while those with more give me tips on how I can improve. The game would look much uglier if you just handed me any old map and recorded me playing it for the first time ever with no reloads possible.

As for barbs, they really can be hit or miss. Sometimes it seems like they only go after other people. Other times, it seems they only come after you. Sometimes you just have to make an extra unit or two to deal with them. As long as they're not stealing your civilians or wrecking your tile improvements, they're most just a nuisance. Also keep in mind it's random. In my current game, I've taken the Honor opener, so I can see where camps spawn as they spawn. I literally took a camp out, another spawned like 4 tiles away the very next turn. When I cleared that one, another spawned about 4 tiles away the very next turn. This isn't typical. Best part is, I'm playing as Germany >:)

But this also might be chalked up to difficulty level. On lower difficulties, camps spawn less frequently, new spawns come out of those camps less frequently, and you do more damage too them. On the other hand, on higher difficulties, the AIs deal with them more as well as gobble up free land faster, reducing the overall amount of barbs. This is one of the many ways that upping the difficulty level happens to actually make the game easier.

Oh and thank you for all the kind feedback! It's much appreciated. I'll be publishing more for sure. Right now though, I'm kind of studying domination and Honor. So the next thing I publish will likely be along those veins.

20. docbud

docbud Emperor

^^PLEASE don't apologize for making it look easy. You are a good player. I'm not.

I've gotta run and eat my dinner. I'll re-read your post tomorrow morning.

I look forward to more videos--especially the domination and honor. I wish I was braver so far as that route. I really do.