1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Widening Artistry

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by tu_79, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Gokudo01

Gokudo01 Emperor

sadly your proposition has not been implemented but don't you think that 1 happiness every 2 gw is, while being decent for super tall, really weak for any average empire. even tradition is not able to get 20 works before industrial era and it provides only 10 happiness which is available around medieval for statecraft and fealty.

2. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

To be honest for my super tall this is only worth 1 golden age point per every two great works, so I definitely see a solid argument for a buff. The scaler does provide a lot of happiness though

3. Gokudo01

Gokudo01 Emperor

Right through reduction of illiteracy and boredom

4. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

To be clear, I don’t just implement something because someone mentions it. :)

It is under consideration, but right now artistry is performing very well.

G

5. Chandler

Chandler Warlord

So... I finally know Hidden Antiquity Sites can be converted into GWs of Writing, and I need to ask... Why "so little love" for them? I mean... Leaving World Wonders aside, we have the Hermitage and "infinite" Museums for GWs of Art (and Artifacts) and "infinite" Broadcast Towers for GWs of Music. But only the Oxford University for GWs of Writing. If you don't manage to build the Great Library and the Globe Theatre, two are the only GWs of Writing you can combine. And, with Hidden Antiquity Sites being able to be converted to them, that seems very low.

Have you considered giving the Amphitheater a theme bonus? Maybe a little and hard to obtain one. Or, if it'd be too early for non-wonder theme bonuses (even though it'd still be tough to obtain a difficult one that early), at least giving a theme of two to the School of Philosophy and, why not, increase the theme for Oxford University to three.

It'd be a nice little bonus to Artistry finisher and the GWs of Writing you can get from those Hidden Antiquity Sites, though it might be seen too as a nerf to the Royal Library of Assyria.

phantomaxl1207 likes this.
  6. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

I was sure there was some building providing great writings slots, like temples provide great music slots. But after looking for it, I can't find anything. School of Philosophy and little less.

7. Rekk

Rekk Emperor

Amphitheatres provide Great Works of Writing slots, but there aren't any theming bonuses like there are with museums and broadcast towers.

8. Chandler

Chandler Warlord

The "issue" is not about how many buildings provide GWs of Writing slots. You technically have an "infinite" number of slots available with the Amphitheaters. The thing is that you are only guaranteed to have a "GWs of Writing theme" with the Oxford University. And that's it.

So, if you don't manage to build the Great Library and the Globe Theatre, after the first two GWs of Writing... Well, you can definitely choose to have another one, instead of a large sum of culture. And you'll want to do it, cause as far as I know, later on that sum of culture will be higher the more GWs of Writing you have. But that doesn't change the fact that you can only theme two GWs of Writing. So, once you have two, it feels kinda less rewarding to create these GWs, as opposed to what happens with GWs of Art and Music.

ElliotS likes this.
  9. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I find it dumb that the Great Library and Oxford have exactly the same themeing bonus. I have never managed to give both a theme in the same game, making the great library an irrelevant theming bonus

ElliotS likes this.
  10. Galbias

Galbias Prince

In order to have more theming bonuses for Writing you'd need to have more buildings with multiple slots for Great Works of Writing. iirc right now the only normal building with slots is Amphitheater so probably the simplest way would be adding more slots to the National Monument/Heroic Epic, or giving Amphitheaters multiple slots.

Though it also makes sense in a way that since Great Writers are the first type of cultural GP to appear, they're the weakest. I believe Broadcast Towers have double the theming bonus that Museums do.

11. Chandler

Chandler Warlord

Are they? The Writer's Guild is the first one to appear. But if you go Tradition, and specially if you take the Beauty pantheon, the Great Artist will be your first cultural GP.

Also, while Great Writers may appear first because of the guild, you need at least two GWs to have a theme, and then you need to fulfill the requirements, which might not be easy, depending on them.

Even if the amphitheaters had a theme bonus, how many GWs of writing do you think you would get before the museums kick in? Around three/four? If you're lucky, you could get a theme bonus with them by that time. Maybe two theme bonuses (if you have the wonders)? Not many more, I'm sure. Would the difference between one and two theme bonuses by that point be that big? I personally don't think so. But that's just my opinion.

ElliotS likes this.