1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wider rivers?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by jefmart1, Dec 4, 2006.

1. jefmart1

jefmart1 Prince

One thing I don't like about civ I-IV is the skinny rivers.

In real life rivers are/were the lifeblood of civs. Large rivers that boats could travel up and down moving people and goods. They were also excellent borders and defenses because they couldn't easily be crossed.

Many real life conflicts center on crossing rivers or capturing or destroying the existing crossings. I find it somewhat silly that units can cross any river anywhere in 1 turn. That assumes they built boats to carry their entire force across in 1 turn.

What I would love to see is wider rivers that can't be crossed without a bridge being built (or a promotion) and that can be traveled upon by boats.

I realize I could make coastal squares that mimic this, but then thats not bridgeable and allows any boat to sail in it. I also realize that I could place one square with a river on it at the entrance to prevent that, but thats unrealiztic too since many boats like galleys could travel upriver...

Anyway, just a thought...

2. ollj

ollj Warlord

Its a matter of scale. River size is just fine on a global scale.
    You get a defensive bonus if you are behind a river, attacked over a river, so much for river crossing.
    Only on huge earth maps the nile DELTA (and other huge river deltas) get tricky in to scale representation.
    The only problem with civ4 is transporting stuff faster along rivers (representing river transports). As far as I remember Call to powers is the only game that has rivers in between tiles (with a defense bonus over rivers) AND faster movement along a river.

In the Warlords 'cinese unification' scenario all rivers are 1 tile big (coast) and the only place to cross them is a land tile with a city on it and it has boats that do fine on those rivers sailing from city to city. (cities have the only bridges and ruined cities make it impassable for boats it seems)

3. cobains disease

cobains disease Chieftain

Personnaly i think there should be two types of rivers: major and minor.
    Minor rivers would remain as they are but major rivers would be traversable by some boats, need bridges, add extra commerce to addjacent tiles, and have 50% defensive bonus instead of 25. I tried to mod this but rivers arent in the XML file and i dont know how to do python so yeah

4. NKVD

NKVD Cossack

what if you put coast tiles instead? this doesnt work?

5. Dryhad

Dryhad Prince

No possibility for bridges. Unless, like in the Chinese Unification scenario, they were added in a premade map.

6. NKVD

NKVD Cossack

you can make bridge with a 2 ground tiles ...
    ships can still pass through and land units too

7. jefmart1

jefmart1 Prince

Its not the same. That means that a Galleon could travel up river.

The point would be to replicate the early and current importance of rivers as transportation hubs. Riverboats, barges, small sailing ships, etc.

Plus they served as obstacles and natural defenses (more than 25%), but not in all cases. Some rivers are onl twenty feet wide, but some (like the Mississippi) are hundreds of feet wide (and very shallow).

Some bridges over rivers and bay mouths are considered "wonders" like the Golden Gate Bridge (which is actually orange).

8. NKVD

NKVD Cossack

i got to agree with the defense bonus...river should me as much as mountains...