Widow predation in Pennsylvania

Pangur Bán

Deconstructed
http://rt.com/usa/155540-house-sale-paltry-debt/

A county court in Pennsylvania ruled against a widow who lost her house over a $6.30 late fee. The property was sold for $116,000 to cover the debt, in what the woman argued was an improper move by the authorities.

The home of Eileen F. Battisti, 53, was sold at a September 2011 tax sale to cover the paltry debt, which arose from an interest rate charge on Battisti’s 2009 tax bill. Beaver County auctioned off the house, with an estimated value of $280,000, selling it for $116,000 to SP Lewis.

"I paid everything, and didn't know about the $6.30," she told AP. "For the house to be sold just because of $6.30 is crazy".

An interesting example of how debt and convoluted rules accessible only to the elite allow predation on the wealth of the weak.

I read this story earlier today and was thinking of posting it here but decided against it. Anyway I think there is a lot more to this story than the media is reporting. I doubt there is any judge out there that would be so petty as to take a woman's house away over $6.30.

So I think we should wait until the full story comes out before we all jump on the "OMGZ killz da evul guvurmant!!!!!1111!!" bandwagon.

Look on the bright side, at least there was a vague pretense for trying to kick this woman out of her home. Not like the dozens of illegally foreclosed-upon properties in Florida.

:)()

So the article claims the proper notification of the tax debt was delivered to her, and I'm wondering what that was.

Commodore, I do hope someone will come with new info and a takedown of the story. Sadly, though, this is well within the norms of our predatory socio-legal system.

I'm so glad to have moved on. I was more concerned about predatory lawyers going after my house because someone pretended to slip on wet pavement. Now, the government itself is getting in on the act.

I hope this story is BS.

Pretty obscene. That $7 is the cost of a Subway meal. Could have been paid for by credit.

Sadly this is the new normal. Not even surprising anymore.

Sadly this is the new normal. Not even surprising anymore.

What are you talking about? I'm still of a half a mind that there is a lot more to this story. let alone that this is the new normal.

Pangur Bán;13199189 said:
An interesting example of how debt and convoluted rules accessible only to the elite allow predation on the wealth of the weak.

Rules accessible only to the elite? :confused:

I.e. those with permanent access to the law, access affordable only by an elite. The majority scum are forced to operate in ignorance or by the interpretation of the law given to them by the strong, big companies and others of those who operate and flourish upon their predation.

Top Bottom