1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wierd trade bug or just me?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Dagreat, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Dagreat

Dagreat Chieftain

It's probably just me missing something, but in the attached game I'm playing as Dutch on 60% archipelago, and I'm importing and exporting luxuries with China but I don't know how.(They're on another continent, I think I have a harbour but it's early MA and nobody has astronomy yet). A few turns before the save the Iroquois (also on another continent, haven't met Chinese yet) found 2 cities on my continent.

The weird thing:
    The turn after this save, the Iroquois suddenly declare war on me, and at the same time China stops paying me gpt and luxuries, but doesn't go to war with me. The Iroquois cities on my continent aren't connected to my cities at all, and they haven't even met Chinese yet, so I have no idea how the trades between me and China stopped.

Can you guys have a look and tell me plz? Thanks

2. Yondaime

Yondaime Sasori

Taking a look right now...hold on
    It said there was an error with the save, something weird like a DATE file or summat like that.

3. Turner

Turner Chieftain Retired Moderator

What version of Civ are you playing?

4. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

1.22 is not compat with other patch. So it is a good idea to mention what version you are using.

5. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

I would wonder if you have a coastal path to China and Iroq cut that path off with the declaration.

6. Dagreat

Dagreat Chieftain

hm...i've got C3C 1.22f or whatever the latest patch is...@vmxa that's quite likely, but how could it be cut off by declaration? Unless coastal squares are allowed for trade when you're at peace with a third civ, and are disallowed when you're at war with them?

7. TimBentley

TimBentley Chieftain

8. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

If any hostile ship is sitting on a tile that is the only one for the connection at that point it will cut it off. This could evn be a barb galley, but Iroq ships willl do it as well.

9. Dagreat

Dagreat Chieftain

damn....so my rep got trashed cos iroquois decided to declare war on me for no good reason....not to mention the gold/luxuries i lost from it.

10. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Yes that is why it is not a good idea to get into those trades before you have at Astro, better Mag. Then you cannot be blocked so easily.

11. Dagreat

Dagreat Chieftain

does the blocking work the same way for domestic resources too? E.g. If I only ahve 1 iron source on an island, and it's connected to mainland by coast/harbour, if I go to war with the civ between me and the coastal tiles leading to the island, does my iron get cut off?

12. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

If they can sit on the only tile completing the path, yes. Stated another way, if you have only Astro, you can only use coastal and sea tiles for trade routes.

Even tough a ship could luck out and traverse an ocean tile, trade requires the tech. So in your scenaro, you may have a point that has only a one sea tile that complete the path. If they sit a ship on it, it is a blockade.

If the narrowest point is two tiles, then they have to sit on both of them. Of course it could be that you only have a one tile opening in front of the town to the sea and that can be the block.

Note that a barb galley accomplishes the same thing. This is why it is so dangerous early. Later the barb galleys are probably all gone.

13. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

I should have added that culture can block trade routes. This is seldom an issue at emperor or less, but I see this on Sid a lot. You make a beachhead and rush a wall, then a barracks and finally a harbor.

Thinking I will now have resources and be connected to the capitol. Bad news, the AI culture eclipsed you borders and even though you can see the open water, you have no access. No resources show up in the town.

In those games, you probably have to bust the next town to get your borders cleared.