Wildlife (Reborn)

LeeS

Imperator

Wildlife (Reborn)
by LeeS and Azurial/Xarsus
(Inspired by the original Wildlife mod created by Androrc the Orc )

Steam Workshop [civ5] Wildlife (Reborn) CivFanatics Download

Expansion and Game-Version Compatibility:
  1. The mod should run for any of the three expansion levels of Civ5: Vanilla, Gods & Kings, and BNW.
    • I have only specifically tested under BNW, however.
  2. The mod will not run properly for any game version earlier than 1.0.3.276

Mod Compatibility:
  1. The mod is compatible to Prehistoric Era Reborn and Ultimate Eras Mod.
  2. The mod was designed with the intent that it would be compatible with CP/CBP. Azurial specifically wanted this as part of the original code from which this mod grew. If anyone finds it is not compatible, please let us know, and supply as much info as you can.
  3. The mod should be compatible with just about any mod so long as the other mod does not make major changes to the tech tree, or is not an outdated DLL mod.
  4. Mods that contain custom DLL files and which have not been updated since approx October of 2014 will almost certainly cause this mod to malfunction.
  5. If Xarsus ever gets around to releasing the giant CBP-dependant-mod he has been working on lo these many years, this mod will be blocked when his mod is enabled. He has his own version of this system running for his giant CBP-dependant mod.
  6. EUI ought not to cause any conflicts with this mod, but I have not specifically tested for that.
  7. I am not sure at all how the Barbarians Evolved mod or my own Barbarian Spawn Increase mod will work in tandem with this mod. I cannot see any reason why there should be code-failure issues, but there might be some additional balance irregularities in addition to the ones you already get when running one of the other crazy barb mods1.
    Spoiler 1 :
    Yes, I consider this another in the history of crazy barb mods made for Civ5.
  8. Mez's Wonder - Jurassic World and Wildlife (Reborn) will no longer conflict with each other as of V8 of Wildlife (Reborn).

ScreenShots:
  • There are numerous screen-caps of the units over on the Steam Workshop page for the mod.
  • As I get time I'll throw some of those up on Imgur so I can direct-link to imgur from here.

Mod Highlights:
  1. Dinosaur and Mammal units are spawned on the map's landscape as Barbarian Animals. They do not spawn in Camps.
  2. In the 'standard' set-up of the mod, Dinosaurs spawn from the start of the game, but stop spawning when the Barb AI player learns the Trapping Technology
    • Dinosaurs that have already spawned onto the map remain and must be killed off in order to be removed from the game with the exception that there is a conversion trigger that will eventually occur and which will convert all animal units to standard Barbarian units.
  3. When the Barb AI player learns the Trapping Technology, Mammals begin to spawn on the map, and Dinosaurs cease spawning.
  4. Mammals spawn until the Barb AI player learns the Currency Technology.
  5. When the Barb AI player learns the Currency Technology, all existing Animal units (except Whales) are converted into Barbarian Brute units (for land units) and Barbarian Galleys (for sea units).
  6. Barb Animals function just like any other Barb unit, except they do not spawn in Barbarian Encampments, and when you kill a Dinosaur or Mammal unit, you get +1 or +2 :c5food: food in your nearest city, or +1 :c5culture: culture or :c5science: science is added to your empire. This is a one-time bump. The amount of food, culture, or science is dependent on the animal type. Since these units all belong to the Barbarian player, you also get the culture yield from killing barbs if you have honor.
    • Depending on balance wrt to acquiring social policies, it may be necessary to impliment a 'reverse culture change' when a player kills a Barb Animal, and they also have the honor opener.
  7. Barbarian Animals:
    Spoiler :
    Animal Genus Domain Starts Spawning Stops Spawning :c5strength:
    Basilosaurus 1 Dinosaur Coastal Sea 2 Start of Game Barbs Learn Trapping 4
    Pteranodon Dinosaur Land Start of Game Barbs Learn Trapping 5
    Tyrannosaurus Rex Dinosaur Land Start of Game Barbs Learn Trapping 8
    Velociraptor Dinosaur Land Start of Game Barbs Learn Trapping 8
    Stegosaurus Dinosaur Land Start of Game Barbs Learn Trapping 8
    Utahraptor Dinosaur Land Start of Game Barbs Learn Trapping 8
    Triceratops Dinosaur Land Start of Game Barbs Learn Trapping 5
    Styracosauros Dinosaur Land Start of Game Barbs Learn Trapping 5
    Protoceratops Dinosaur Land Start of Game Barbs Learn Trapping 5
    Whale 1 Whale 4 Coastal Sea 3 Barbs Learn Optics Barbs Learn Industrialization 10
    Eagle Mammal Land Barbs Learn Trapping Barbs Learn Currency 6
    Bear Mammal Land Barbs Learn Trapping Barbs Learn Currency 10
    Snow Tiger Mammal Land Barbs Learn Trapping Barbs Learn Currency 6
    Wolf Mammal Land Barbs Learn Trapping Barbs Learn Currency 6
    Lion Mammal Land Barbs Learn Trapping Barbs Learn Currency 8
    1The difference between these two units animations is merely an unit art re-sizing
    2This unit spawns in coastal tiles and cannot move into deep ocean tiles
    3This unit spawns in coastal tiles but can move into deep ocean tiles
    4This "Whale" genus of animals is never converted into standard Barbarian Units
  8. Barb Animals spawn on the Barbarian Player's turn, but they have restrictions:
    • Only one animal can spawn per-turn on the same continent
    • Only one animal can spawn per-turn in coastal waters anywhere on the map
    • Each animal (Dinosaur or Mammal) is linked either to certain types of Features or to certain types of Terrain that are also bare of any Features.
    • Each animal can be linked to both a Feature or a bare Terrain type. The same unit can also be linked to multiple terrains or features.
    • Features and Terrains requirements1:
      Spoiler :
      Animal Feature Or Terrain #Required Tiles per Animal on the Continent
      Basilosaurus 2 Coast 35
      Utahraptor Flood Plains 5
      Utahraptor Grass 12
      Pteranodon Jungle 8
      Tyrannosaurus Rex Grasslands 18
      Velociraptor Marsh 15
      Velociraptor Plains 9
      Triceratops Jungle 8
      Styracosauros Forest 8
      Protoceratops Desert 12
      Stegosaurus Desert 12
      Eagle Forest 5
      Bear Forest 5
      Snow Tiger Tundra 5
      Wolf Forest 5
      Wolf Grasslands 12
      Lion Jungle 5
      Lion Plains 10
      Whale 2 Coast 20
      1note that exact setting here might change as we strive for better balance between challenging fun and being overrun by a swarm of Barb Animals.
      2Basilosaurus' and Whale's restriction is for all coastal tiles throughout the map rather than linked to a continent so long as these tiles are not also considered 'lakes'.
    • What the '5', '15', etc. mean is that a continent must have this number of tiles of that type for each animal of that type. So if a smallish continent has 5 Forest tiles, it can only support 1 (one) Bear. But it can support one each of Bear and Wolf, since each of these unit-types only require 5 tiles of Forest for each of their respective units.
    • The Terrain and Feature requirements are the types of tiles an Animal is allowed to spawn on. They will move out of these native terrains and features and attack you.
    • Barbarian Animals do not spawn on tiles that can be observed by any non-Barbarian player, and they will not spawn on plots that are already occupied by any other unit.
  9. As a compensation to the amount of extra Barb units this mod creates, the usual starting Barbarian Brute does not appear until the Barbarian Player starts to spawn Mammals. Previous to this, a weaker form of the Brute will spawn from Babrabrian Encampments. There is no good way to turn off the game's 'Auto-Spawning' of Encampments and Barb-Units from those Encampments without also completely turning off Barbarians altogether, which would conflict with the code of the mod.
    • Barbarian Archers, Spearmen, Swordsmen, etc., are not affected by this mod. It is quite possible the Barbs will start to spawn Archers or Spearman even before the standard Brute replaces the weaker version introduced by this mod. This comes from the standard behavior of the game in giving techs to the Barbs, and in the tech-research choices made by the AI Major Civilizations.
  10. The mod is configurable. See the post on 'Configuring Mod Behavior' for full details.

Capturing Wild Animals:
  1. Depending on what other mods you are running, which BNW reformation belief you choose, or which civ you are playing as, you might capture one or more of these wild animals instead of killing them.
  2. In this case the animals retain their inherent promotions for the terrains or features they normally spawn in, and they will be eligible for promotions such as Drill 1.
  3. Wild Animal units never upgrade to new unit-types, however.

Barb Animal Combat in Their Native Terrain/Features:
  1. Wild Animals are given combat promotions based on the Animal Unit's "Native Terrain" and "Native Features". These promotions give the animal a 15% Attack and 30% Defense bonus within their 'native' terrain or feature.
  2. Wild Animals can have more than one promotion for a "Native Terrain" and/or "Native Features". It all depends on what Terrains and Features the unit is allowed to spawn in.
  3. The code never allows a unit to be spawned on Ocean Tiles as a design decision (ie, there are potentially way too many Ocean Tiles), but Aquatic units can move from the Coast where they spawn into the deep Ocean, as does the Whale unit.

Animal Unit City Capturing:
  1. Wild Animals are never allowed to capture cities
  2. All that Wild Animals can do against cities is attack them.

How the Barbs learn the Trapping, Currency, Optics, and Industrialization Techs with this mod active:
  1. Barbs are given a tech when X % of Major Civilizations have learned the same technology. Barbs do not actually research anything, they just recieve gifts of technology from the game. This is normal game behavior, and is not something this mod adds to the game. Generally this % seems to be 70% when playing on King -- I am not sure if it is a different % when playing on different Difficulty-Levels.
  2. Given that AI Major Civilizations are uncooperative in their research choices, this mod monitors the research completed by Major Civilizations, and when greater than 70% of Major Civilizations have researched at least one technology from the same column in the tech tree as Trapping, the Barbarian AI player is given Trapping. The same method is used for giving the AI Barbarian player the Currency, Optics, and Industrialization technologies.
    • When the mod was requiring that Major AI Civilizations research the exact tech desired (Trapping, for example) not enough of them ever did, so the Barbs never learned Trapping, and Mammals would never spawn on the map before they were made obsolete by the Major AI Players researching the Technology that made Wild Mammals stop spawning. The result was lots and lots of Dinosaurs, but no Mammals.
  3. Trapping was selected as the tech to enable the Mammal animals because it seemed to make more sense than other techs from the same column, and was pretty innocuous in its effect on 'regular' players when the Barbarians discover it. Currency was selected because it is toward the end of the Classical Era and is also innocuous in the hands of the Babarian AI. Optics and Industrialization were chosen for similar reasons, with more attention being paid to not give Barbs more-advanced units than they would normally otherwise have access to.

Wild Animal Behavior Once Spawned:
  1. Wild Animals remain in the tile where they were spawned so long as no other player can see the tile. Since Wild Animals only spawn in unobserved tiles, this means they will remain inert from the time they are spawned until another player unit comes into view.
  2. Once another player can see the tile where a Wild Animal is located, the Wild Animal is "unleashed", and will attack. So long as another player can still see the Wild Animal at the beginning of the Barb's turn, the Wild Animal will keep moving and making mayhem
  3. If a Wild Animal can no longer be seen by another player, the Wild Animal will halt in place and heal its wounds. It will heal up to 10 damage per turn.
  4. Any Unit that is not designated as a "MAMMAL" or a "DINOSAUR" for its "AnimalType" will be allowed to move from its original spawn point and to roam the map.
    • Such units can heal 10HP per turn if they start their turn in a tile that is not observed by any other player. They can heal and move on that same turn.
    • Whales are not defined as either "MAMMAL" or "DINOSAUR" for code-purposes, and so will move around the map at will. In the case of the Whale, this is meant to make them tend to at least fill up the Ocean Tiles a bit.

War Dogs:
  1. The mod also introduces a new unit called "War Dogs" that can be trained by regular players and by City-States.
  2. They are not available to the Barbarian Player.
  3. War Dogs have a combat strength of 8, can be purchased with Faith if the player has the Holy Warriors Belief, and cost an extra gold in maintenance.
  4. War Dogs are available at Archery and become Obsolete at Civil Service.
  5. They do not have an upgrade path.
  6. They are given two promotions that increase their "Flank Attack" strength, but penalize them when attacking cities.
  7. The code was pretty much borrowed from DarkScythe's Wolf Pups unit, except that the Unit Art Definition was re-sized to make the unit members smaller on the main map.
  8. There should not be any conflicts at the moment with DarkScythe's Holo Civ, but if you find any when using both mods, please let me know.

Configurable Mod Behavior (see Post #2):
  1. The mod's Behavior can be configured to taste in many ways, see post #2.

Current Mod Issues:
  1. When either a Lion or Eagle attack a city, the animation gives 'hellfire' from the sky. I'm not sure if this is something we have done wrong in implimenting the XML of the unit-art-define, or if it is a unit-model issue, or an issue in the fxsxml file(s).
    • It is certainly cool to watch this "fire from the skies" being called down by a Wild Animal upon a player's city, but it is obviously not correct.
  2. War Dogs don't have any combat sounds, though I thought they did in the Holo mod -- it's not obvious to me what sound reference DarkScythe was using for his unit, since I can't find an mp3 file anywhere in the Holo mod that looks like it is related to his "Wolf Pups" unit.
    • The unit's selection/birth sounds are the wolf howl sounder used by Calcul8or in his creeeeeeepy Halloween civ. I have a horrible spider-phobia so I can't bring myself to play his mod :sad:
  3. Some of the units, especially the Wild Wolf unit, make odd "smoke" displays when attacked or attacking. These are just barely visible, and often far up the player's display, and offset to one side of the CRT or the other.
  4. Unit refacing before combat for most of the units seems a little slow. Again I'm not sure if it's something we are doing wrong in the set-up of the unit.

Credits:
  1. Deliverator for the Dino unit models. Nomad or What (I think) for the animal units. I am still chasing down who did what unit animation.
  2. The configuration of the War Dogs unit-art-define is by DarkScythe, and the Icons for Wild Mammal SV icons, and certain promotion Icons are by DarkScythe.
    • I'm not certain where-all DarkScythe got the unit-member animations, so I'm chasing those down to give proper credit.
  3. I'm not sure where-all else Azurial found the animal unit animations.
  4. I did the lua and the SQL within the mod, and tweaked some of the XML-code.
  5. Azurial did the XML for the Units, the unit animations, Icon Atlases, etc., and gathered together all the unit animation files and placed them in the mod. He also did the 'titlecard' at the top of this post as well as the one being used on Steam workshop.
  6. War Dogs unit selection/unit birth sounders are courtesy Calcul8or, but I am not sure if he made the actual mp3 sounder or if it was made by Deliverator/Kwadjh.

Configuring Mod Behavior

Primary Behavior Configuration
  1. Find the file called ModBehaviorControl.xml
  2. Within the mod, this file is in folder ~\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Wildlife-Dinos (v 5)\ModBehaviorControl
  3. Open the file with any text-editor.
  4. In this file you will find this code
    Code:
    <BarbarianAnimalConfigurations>
    	<Row>
    		<DataType>MAMMALS_AND_DINOS</DataType>
    		<DoNotSpawnDinosaurs>false</DoNotSpawnDinosaurs>
    		<MammalPreReqTechWhenNoDinos>TECH_AGRICULTURE</MammalPreReqTechWhenNoDinos>
    		<ConvertBarbAnimalsWhenAllObsolete>true</ConvertBarbAnimalsWhenAllObsolete>
    		<ConversionBasedOnDinoAndMammalOnly>true</ConversionBasedOnDinoAndMammalOnly>
    		<ConversionTriggerMethod>PercentageAllPlayers</ConversionTriggerMethod>
    		<RequiredPercentageOfMajors>70</RequiredPercentageOfMajors>
    		<EraRequirementForFirstPlayer>ERA_MEDIEVAL</EraRequirementForFirstPlayer>
    		<BasicLandUnitForConvert>UNIT_BARBARIAN_WARRIOR</BasicLandUnitForConvert>
    		<BasicWaterUnitForConvert>UNIT_GALLEY</BasicWaterUnitForConvert>
    		<TyrannosaurusIsFearsome>0</TyrannosaurusIsFearsome>
    		<DinosaursAreViscious>0</DinosaursAreViscious>
    		<MammalsAreViscious>0</MammalsAreViscious>
    	</Row>
    </BarbarianAnimalConfigurations>
    This is where you alter settings to configure the mod a bit more to your taste.
  5. If you do not want the mod to spawn Dinosaurs, change this line
    Code:
    <DoNotSpawnDinosaurs>false</DoNotSpawnDinosaurs>
    to this
    Code:
    <DoNotSpawnDinosaurs>true</DoNotSpawnDinosaurs>
    • Dinosaurs will still show as valid units registered with the game, but the spawnning code will ignore them
  6. Changing this line:
    Code:
    <TyrannosaurusIsFearsome>0</TyrannosaurusIsFearsome>
    To:
    Code:
    <TyrannosaurusIsFearsome>1</TyrannosaurusIsFearsome>
    Will:
    • make the Tyrannosaurus Rex 50 % stronger (to a combat strength of 12) and will give them the "Feared Elephant" promotion.
    • stack with the increased combat strength given to dinosaur units when the setting of <DinosaursAreViscious> is set to '1', ie, if both settings are changed to '1', the Tyrannosaurus Rex will have a combat strength of 24
      Spoiler :

Image Disclaimers*
      The following "disclaimers" apply when using this combination of settings, and when using this mod in general
      Spoiler * :

1. In no way do the makers of this mod endorse, advise, advocate, or otherwise imply that Catherine or Her Marshals should be allowed to get their hands on any such unit as shown herein in this example screenshot.
      2. The image was made as a screenshot of the unit in-game. No player such as Catherine would normally get her grubby little hands on such a unit. But trying to change player-state to the Barbs and then trying to get a screencap is a difficult proposition.
      3. No Russian Animal Tamers were eaten or otherwise severely injured in obtaining this screenshot. Really!
        • Any rumors you may have heard about Boris Stepanovich Strelsky not coming home after a day sweeping the muck from the Dinosaur Pens are just that: Unsubstantiated Rumors!
      4. The makers of this mod do not really advocate Bismarck getting his hands on one of these units either. For that matter, Monty and Shacky also should not be allowed. Well, niether should Elizabeth or Washington, or Darius, or ... well ... just anybody, really.
  7. Changing this line
    Code:
    <DinosaursAreViscious>0</DinosaursAreViscious>
    To:
    Code:
    <DinosaursAreViscious>1</DinosaursAreViscious>
    Will double the combat strength of all Dinosaur units.
  8. Changing this line
    Code:
    <MammalsAreViscious>0</MammalsAreViscious>
    To:
    Code:
    <MammalsAreViscious>1</MammalsAreViscious>
    Will double the combat strength of all Mammal units.
  9. The following determines what if any Conversion method is applied to convert Wild Animals to Regular Barb Units: This line
    Code:
    <ConvertBarbAnimalsWhenAllObsolete>true</ConvertBarbAnimalsWhenAllObsolete>
    allows one of the conversion methods. If it is changed to
    Code:
    <ConvertBarbAnimalsWhenAllObsolete>false</ConvertBarbAnimalsWhenAllObsolete>
    then no conversion will ever occur, regardless of what other data is set in the code.

The selections are made by changing this line
    Code:
    <ConversionTriggerMethod>PercentageAllPlayers</ConversionTriggerMethod>
    The selections for a desired conversion method are:
    • FirstPlayer: when one major player has researched all the techs that make Barbarian animals obsolete, the animals will be converted to 'regular' barb units.
    • PercentageAllPlayers: when a specified percentage of all major players have researched at least one tech from the same column(s) in the tech-tree as the tech that make(s) barb animals obsolete, the animals will be converted to 'regular' barb units. You must also state the % of majors required in line
      Code:
      The barbs will also be given all techs that make barb animals obsolete.
    • FirstPlayerToEra: when the first major enters the specified Era, the barb animals are all converted. You must also specify the Era in this line
      Code:
      <EraRequirementForFirstPlayer>ERA_MEDIEVAL</EraRequirementForFirstPlayer>
      To make the conversion occur earlier or later, just change to the name of a different Era.
    • This line
      Code:
      <ConversionBasedOnDinoAndMammalOnly>true</ConversionBasedOnDinoAndMammalOnly>
      determines whether conversion is done based on the PreReq and Obsolete Techs of only those units that have been specified as being either Dinosaurs or Mammals when other types of units are also being handled by the spawning code. (The Whale unit is not defined as a Mammal or Dinosaur for purposes of the spawning code, and is therefore not considered by the conversion triggers).
    • "Player" and "Players" in the defined methods you can choose from refer to major players, humans and full AI Civilizations: City-States are not considered.
  10. This line
    Code:
    also controls the percentage of Major Civilizations that must have researched at least one tech from the same column(s) in the tech-tree as a tech that either unlocks or makes obsolete a Wild Animal Unit. This is true even if the conversion system has been turned off.
  11. These two lines allow you to specify which units a Wild Animal is converted to
    Code:
    <BasicLandUnitForConvert>UNIT_BARBARIAN_WARRIOR</BasicLandUnitForConvert>
    So, if you wanted land wild Animals to be converted to the Barbarian Spearman instead of the Brute unit, you would change to
    Code:
    <BasicLandUnitForConvert>UNIT_BARBARIAN_SPEARMAN</BasicLandUnitForConvert>
    You can choose any unit you want to have the Barbs recieve in place of a Wild Animal unit, even ones they normally do not use.
  12. Save all changes to the file and the next time you start Civ5, the mod will conform to this new set of behavior controls.

Some Trouble-Shooting Guidelines
  1. If the mod seems to stop working after you make a change in file ModBehaviorControl.xml this is likely because you have made a typo. Make sure you have changed a line exactly as I have shown and that you have not inadvertently deleted needed xml code-characters such as ">", "<", or "/". Typo errors that cause xml-syntax errors will cause the spawning code to abort when it tries to load.

Additional Configurability
  1. Find the file called BarbarianAnimalSpawning.xml
  2. Within the mod, this file is in folder ~\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Wildlife-Dinos (v 5)\XML
  3. In this file you will find the following code
    Spoiler :
    DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CHANGE THE CODE COLORED IN RED
    Code:
    <GameData>
    	[color="red"]<Table name="BarbarianAnimal_ValidFeatures">
    		<Column name="UnitType" type="text" reference="Units(Type)"/>
    		<Column name="FeatureType" type="text" reference="Features(Type)"/>
    		<Column name="Target1AnimalPerXTiles" type="integer" default="0"/>
    	</Table>
    	<Table name="BarbarianAnimal_ValidTerrains">
    		<Column name="UnitType" type="text" reference="Units(Type)"/>
    		<Column name="TerrainType" type="text" reference="Terrains(Type)"/>
    		<Column name="Target1AnimalPerXTiles" type="integer" default="0"/>
    	</Table>[/color]

[color="blue"]<BarbarianAnimal_ValidFeatures>
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_WOLF" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="5" FeatureType="FEATURE_FOREST" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_UTAHRAPTOR" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="5" FeatureType="FEATURE_FLOOD_PLAINS" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_EAGLE" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="5" FeatureType="FEATURE_FOREST" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_BEAR" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="5" FeatureType="FEATURE_FOREST" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_LION" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="5" FeatureType="FEATURE_JUNGLE" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_TRICERATOPS" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="8" FeatureType="FEATURE_JUNGLE" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_STYRACOSAURUS" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="8" FeatureType="FEATURE_FOREST" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_PTERANODON_UNIT" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="8" FeatureType="FEATURE_JUNGLE" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_TREX_UNIT2" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="15" FeatureType="FEATURE_MARSH" />
    	</BarbarianAnimal_ValidFeatures>

<BarbarianAnimal_ValidTerrains>
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_WOLF" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="12" TerrainType="TERRAIN_GRASS" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_UTAHRAPTOR" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="12" TerrainType="TERRAIN_GRASS" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_TIGER_SNOW" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="5" TerrainType="TERRAIN_TUNDRA" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_LION" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="10" TerrainType="TERRAIN_PLAINS" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_PROTOCERATOPS" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="12" TerrainType="TERRAIN_DESERT" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_STEGOSAURUS" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="12" TerrainType="TERRAIN_DESERT" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_TREX_UNIT" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="18" TerrainType="TERRAIN_GRASS" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_TREX_UNIT2" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="9" TerrainType="TERRAIN_PLAINS" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_BASILOSAURUS" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="35" TerrainType="TERRAIN_COAST" />
    		<Row UnitType="UNIT_WHALE" Target1AnimalPerXTiles="20" TerrainType="TERRAIN_COAST" />
    	</BarbarianAnimal_ValidTerrains>
    </GameData>[/color]
  4. You can add, remove, or alter the row-data in the blue parts of the code.
  5. Smaller numbers for
    Code:
    Target1AnimalPerXTiles="xx"
    means more units will spawn.
  6. Only units listed in these two tables will be used for the spawning-code. Any unit that is placed in these tables will be spawned by the spawning code, but some care must be used for the PreReqTech and ObsoleteTech of such units. Only one technology from within each technology-column can be used.
    • Dinosaur units have an ObsoleteTech of TECH_TRAPPING
    • Mammal units have a PreReqTech of TECH_TRAPPING
    • This is OK because from within the tech-tree-column where TECH_TRAPPING is placed, only one technology is being referenced.
    • But if the Mammal PreReqTech were changed to TECH_THE_WHEEL, this would cause conflicts that would make the mod's spawning-code malfunction.

This looks great! Is there any chance of a version without Dinosaurs?

This looks great! Is there any chance of a version without Dinosaurs?
You'll be able to shut off the Dinosaurs as one of the pre-provided "Configuration" settings. I just haven't gotten to writing the instructions on how you can configure the mod more to your own desires.

edit --> see post #2 as I added the procedure for dis-allowing Dinos. But for the rest of the configurable settings, I will have to add notes on those a bit later, like after I have some lunch.

I assume we can turn off the conversion of animal units to barbarian ones as well? I totally want to find a "lost world" where dinosaurs survived :3

I assume we can turn off the conversion of animal units to barbarian ones as well? I totally want to find a "lost world" where dinosaurs survived :3
Yup. It's in column ConvertBarbAnimalsWhenAllObsolete in the BarbarianAnimalConfigurations table. If that is set to false, no other settings of the conversion system are used.

Also, although I have not written it up yet, this mod's code could be used to spawn Orcs, or Dragons, or Revolutionary Barbs, or what-have you. I added a new column to Units called AnimalType, and if the AnimalType is not set to DINOSAUR or MAMMAL, that unit will never be converted when using the lua to spawn the units. I intend to add a post or two specifically for how other mod-makers could use this system, and what they would need to do in their own mod.

This looks awesome! Thumbs up to all the devs :thumbsup:!

LeeS this is great. Is there a way you can turn on or off certain animals? I was thinking of adding a kraken to my Winter is coming to civ mod.

If you're still looking for a sound effect for the wolf dog unit, my Halloween Civ uses a howling sound effect that might fit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'll probably just grab that then.

This looks great! Somehow gave me the thought of capturing these wild animals and taming them or putting them into the Zoo :mischief:

This looks great! Somehow gave me the thought of capturing these wild animals and taming them or putting them into the Zoo :mischief:

C2C for CIV4 does this
Copying from http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=439673

Subdued animals can be used to
- create buildings
- be butchered for food, hammers and gold
- fight in "games" in your arena for money and happiness
- be studied for science and culture. All these bonuses are small.

C2C for CIV4 does this
Copying from http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=439673

Subdued animals can be used to
- create buildings
- be butchered for food, hammers and gold
- fight in "games" in your arena for money and happiness
- be studied for science and culture. All these bonuses are small.
And the code that adds the Food for killing a wild animal is also pre-written to accept any of the Gold, Production, Faith, Culture, and Research Yields when these are stated in the new game-table <BarbarianAnimal_YieldsFromKills> introduced by the mod.

Gold, Faith, Culture, and Science Research all go directly to the Empire's 'Score', whereas Food and Production are added in the nearest city.

Though for science I skirted the issues around Science where if a player is not currently researching anything, there is nowhere for a direct science yield to 'go'. In such a case it is diverted to Production in the nearest city.

Happiness and Tourism are not Yields, and are therefor a bit harder to manipulate. Tourism especially is a cast-iron 'nopeness!' PITA as implimented in the stock-game's DLL, and would require even more code-gymnastics. Not insurmountable code-wise, but for Tourism would be too imbalancing, perhaps. We could implement a possibility for these if enough folks want.

Though for science I skirted the issues around Science where if a player is not currently researching anything, there is nowhere for a direct science yield to 'go'.

Coming soon to a DLL near you ...

Code:
if (pPlayer.ChangeOverflowResearch) then
    pPlayer:ChangeOverflowResearch(iBonus)
else
    -- Do the other stuff with production to the nearest city
end

Well, amusingly enough, in a recent game I had a Privateer capture a Whale!

Spoiler :

Sadly, barbarians then killed my friendly Whale! :(

Spoiler :

Poor Willy!

Top Bottom