1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Wildmana 6.0 beta

Discussion in 'Wildmana Modmod' started by Sephi, Oct 20, 2009.

1. arstal

arstal Say No 2 Net Validations

The AIs are crippled by barbarians. They're not handling it well.

2. Sephi

Sephi Chieftain

do you have a save? I usually have much bigger problems with the barbs than the AI.

3. Sephi

Sephi Chieftain

Looks like something is draining your power. You can prevent the crash by changing your power (adding a unit via worldbuilder is easiest way). Might take some time until I figure out what exactly is causing the problem.

4. Afterthought_bt

Afterthought_bt Chieftain

My economy couldn't handle having to keep adding units, so I started another game... :)

I have to ask you - have you changed anything to do with the battle formulas? I seem to have lost some very odd battles when defending. And I mean consistently losing 70/80% advantage my way. In fact, recently I lost something which had I been doing the attacking, I would have had 96% chance of victory (and the respective powers wouldn't have changed for the battle when I defended), barely harming the orc. Thinking this was odd, and having my suspicions raised, I reloaded (I've taken to saving at the end of each turn for betas! ;)). I then lost the battle 4 more times in a row. Now, that might just be a statistical improbability, or else something's odd's going on in the fighting.

Or else maybe I get a big minus when being attacked by barbs for being on Deity? I'd have said I might possibly have been too successful considering the odds when I've attacked too, but that's kind of a tentative observation. (Chances are I imagined it, I guess, it just seemed weird)

5. Sephi

Sephi Chieftain

I haven't changed anything with battle formulas. Keep in mind that % close to 99,99 are inaccurate when you have first strike chances.

6. Afterthought_bt

Yeah - but there wasn't any first strikes involved. Like I said, chances are I imagined it - it was just really bizarre. Anyway, just thought I'd check it with you.

Animal lairs don't spawn on desert. Whilst this probably makes sense for non-gameplay reasons, it also means that the Malakim don't really see any animal lairs around the place. Which is a little unfair, considering the other civs will be able to gain benefits from the lairs. Might be worthwhile having lairs spawn on mountains (even if desert) like say, Griffons, say? Or else normal ones near floodplains, perhaps. Just so there are some lairs around. As it happens I am completely cut off from anyone else in my current game as the Malakim, and I didn't get to raid one animal lair. :( :p

The attached screenshot shows a city without its entire inner ring being 'owned'. This is because in IDW, pillaging gave the barbs some of my territory.

a) I didn't think IDW worked for the Barbs anymore?
    b) I've won plenty of battles which should really have been enough to get the squares back, but hasn't, presumably because the city hasn't been able to generate any culture yet?

(edit) I think it's the pillaging that did it. Presumably you changed IDW for fighting, but not for pillaging?

Beasts still seem to occasionally be stuck when borders go over them. In this case, they didn't have lairs (see above), but they just stay in the borders, without trying to move out - or attack any unit near it. So they are basically frozen there - just like the giant spiders that pop up in the 'infested mine event' I guess. Would be nice if this wasn't the case. Well - not necessarily nice for the player, at the moment I can send my workers right next to the hill giant without worry! ;)

Had a message saying that the Barbarians had a golden age. Isn't that a little weird? *tries to envision the Barabrians impressing their citizens across the land so much that they get a golden age* :lol:

Also, the Barbs (run of the mill 2 strength goblins) captured one of my spell books, and the spell book disappeared. Presumably the barbs can read spell books?! That's gotta be wrong... :)

Hmm - I keep seeming to add to this post - maybe I should make a new post to show that there's new stuff in here, but I hate double posting.

Anyway. Barbs can spawn Legates. Don't know if that's intended, but I wouldn't have thought it was.

Also, I'll be ridiculously pedantic, and point out that the BUG hint which says animals can't enter your land doesn't really apply any more.... :p

Attached Files:

7. roger_wilco

roger_wilco Chieftain

Playing as Perpentach with Beta II I seem to be unable to build the Hall of Mirrors, although I have Alteration and Carnivals everywhere due to the Grand Menagerie.

8. Afterthought_bt

Doomsayers are red circles on the map (i.e. missing the graphics). These are Barb Doomsayers btw - are they meant to spawn? (like the Legates). Even if they are, the fact that they spawn in groups of three, and don't link up with other barbs as far as I can tell (although maybe I just kill them too soon! :p) makes them pretty useless. By the way, if you read my last post, chances are I added stuff to it so look again. :)

9. Sephi

Sephi Chieftain

thanks. I think I got all these issues fixed.

10. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

this calls for a new beta! :D

11. JoMac

JoMac Chieftain

Beta 2 - Scion world spell caused a repeatable CTD when you end the turn after casting it. I'm at work right now, but I have the save at home if you need it.

12. Afterthought_bt

Something odd going on with diplomacy I just noticed. In the attached save, go to do diplomacy with Kandros Fir, ask what he wants for Mercantilism - well, the only tech he'll trade. He'll ask for Sorcery, Animal Handling (I think), and Deception. Say no, and ask what he'll give you for the same deal - he'll add the world map. Okay, clear the table, and offer him Sorcery and Animal Handling for Mercantilism, and ask what will make the deal work. He then demands Deception and extra money.

Oh - and I keep meaning to mention this: Is Strong really meant to give 1% strength, and 1 defensive str. Shouldn't it be +1 att str and +1 def str? It isn't the only promotion that does that kind of thing, either. (i.e. giving negligible percentage increases to strength)

Also, for some reason I can't upgrade elephants to war elephants. Or upgrade a goblin full stop, I think.

Attached Files:

13. roger_wilco

roger_wilco Chieftain

Following up on my Perpentach/Hall of Mirrors issue, I don't know if that's included in what you fixed recently but I noticed that even when I add a Hall of Mirrors to a city with World Builder I am still not able to build Courtesans or upgrade to them.

Attached Files:

14. Eshnunna

Eshnunna Chieftain

First, thanks a LOT Sephi for producing this awesome work. I just installed the beta, some feedback :

1/ Can all the scion-specific stuff (heroes, units...) be removed from the techtree ? tis quite confusing as of now.

I'm playing as the amurite water-proficient new leader (and love the free water walking) :
    2/ when building wizard's hall, a red blob appears in the city screen instead of the building's pic

3/the flag at the up-left corner of the screen does not show up, which blocks the mouseover showing the civ/leader traits. Kinda annoying with an emerging civ.

4/ noob question : my adepts spawned with potency, tho I don't have the arcane trait. Is it a new feature from your enhanced Amurites ?

Overall, I love the new animals and their lairs, and barb stacks. Definitive improvement, although I haven't played enough to asess if the AI can handle tem tho.
    The tweaks to base-culture-generating buildings, and building costs look cool.

So does the tweaks to civics in general. Specific points to discuss :
    - mercantilism is quite overpowered, but since it's a late civic it's OK and might actually make the tech worth researching.
    - I like the new agrarianism, useful in specific food-poor situations, without being a no-brainer now.
    - I saw consumption received a big happiness boost, although I already found it a very good mid-game civic. Was this really intended ? Am I the only one feeling that way ?

15. denev

denev Chieftain

Does anyone tell me how to get 6.0 beta SDK? Please.

16. Afterthought_bt

Couple of things.

I tried to attack a dragon with a druid, and was told he was too scared to attack. Fine. However, next turn I attacked and killed the dragon, and then was told he was too scared to attack.

The Amurites' have size 1 cities. Blight has hit, so I'm guessing there's still a problem with war mode and growth. I think they've been at war ever since blight hit - maybe that had some effect. My perm allies, Kandros Fir don't seem to have much population either, so maybe that can be improved. (Stuck around 7 or 8 mark with most of them)

And finally, rejecting threats and giving help doesn't give any bonuses or penalties in relations. Is that because they can demand from each other, or just a bug?

17. Sephi

Sephi Chieftain

@afterthought
    strong is +1/+1, the % is just a display error
    the diplo stuff was a bug

@Eshnunna
    you can find the flag right from the minimap.arcane trait is part of the Amurite racial trait.

I have changed techtree on mouseover from techs so that it won't show things which only other civs can get.

uploaded a new beta version to first post that has quite a few small things fixed. Dragons will now be a little bit more aggressive

18. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

yay! thanx a lot Sephi ;)

19. JoMac

JoMac Chieftain

Beta 3: Amurites can build Loki. I'm really hoping this is an "oops". I can't stand that little !@#$!@#$

20. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

lo and behold, I had this python exception while generating the map. obviously because my starting settler got placed on a gorilla den... lairs should really not be present in the starting BFC, eh? :D

aside from this, the gorilla den should be called gorilla den or shack or something, instead of "Gorillas" :p

goblin lairs start with no defender :(

and yeah, animal lairs should be explorable. I mean really explorable, like in Orbis. stepping on them and destroying them like that is no fun. just steal everything from Orbis and it will be just perfect ;)

some lair exploration results are written in a dark grey shade which is really hard to read on the background.

and yeah, Loki can be built by any civ. :lol:

the ratio of animal lairs/normal lairs is still too heavily weighted towards MANY ANIMALS, even with no Wildlands gameoption. although... I did spot a werewofl spawning lair! bully, that's a brilliant touch. I also love how hill giant steadings now spawn hill giants, and maybe the dungeons should spawn random stuff. frostling lairs spawning random frostlings would be awesome too! :goodjob:

also, polar bear lairs could be added, and polar bears should only spawn and set lairs in icy regions ( commonly known as MaxAstro's "duh!" change in FF :lol: )

regarding the AI, does it increase the amount of defenses it tries to have in the early game depending on what gameoptions are on?

Barbarianworld and Raging barbs would mean MORE WARRIORS, while Wildlands would mean MORE SCOUTS, should be pretty easy to understand even for the AI.

btw, does the Aggressive AI gameoption do something now if added back in and activated? you mentioned something about it not doing much, but it'd be nice to hear if it's obsoleted by the new AI behaviour or what.

regardless, a gameoption for a more aggressive AI would be nice to have for when you want a more cutthroat game.

I also liked to be able to choose between normal barbarians and barbarian groups ( which would mean the AI builds more warriors, again :D ) , but you know that already :p