Wildmana 6.0 Download and Bugreport

[to_xp]Gekko;8644662 said:
barbs and animals start spawning later in 6.4 , you could try that :D

Playing 6.4:

Goblins, Beastmen, frostlings, and skeletons spawn at turn 27, beeline towards me and wipe me out (4 warriors defending) on turn 35.

It's still very early :p

Playing 6.4:

Goblins, Beastmen, frostlings, and skeletons spawn at turn 27, beeline towards me and wipe me out (4 warriors defending) on turn 35.

I've never had this problem. Barbs are pretty scared of animals, and the animal-barb war keeps them occupied and killed off. I mean it kind of sucks, because your exploring units will never make it back home, but your home units should be fine. I simply have never been wiped out like this, and I usually keep the defenses pretty light too, maybe one or two warriors defending the capital for the first 50 or 60 turns.

In my 6.3 game, i still have yet to see the AI build a mana node, in fact, right now, I am not even seeing adepts.

Anyone see mana nodes or adepts in 6.3 or 6.4?

Playing 6.4:

I'm having the same problem. I think the AI bonus vs barbs causes all them to beeline and gang up on the human. It means pretty much for the first 200-300 turns of the game, I have no control over what I do- I must do nothing but spam warriors, beeline to hunting (slowly due to no workers or time to build an elder council even)

It's no fun. Maybe if everyone started with 5 warriors it might be fairer, or the barbs and animals started 1 str weaker, and then moved up.

hmm... I am just simply not having this experience. I build very few units, and I build tons of improvements, buildings, and wonders. I have never seen a barb stack bigger than 4 units come into my territory. Sometimes the enemies are tough, like mounted mercenaries, but with a little awareness of the threat, they are dealt with. Usually, they keep fighting the animals, and ignore me. I try to make it a point to kill barbs, so they don't kill the animals as much, so I can capture the animals.

I am playing with raging barbs, end of winter, wildlands, deadly wild mana, barbarian world. I have barbs pumped up to maximum velocity, and not having this problem. Perhaps crowding the world makes the war to the barbs outside your borders more deadly to them, therefore they stay outside cultural borders, or perhaps I just take all the barbs as XP food, and quickly build up a warrior or two with orcslaying. In my recent game, I have about 5 wolfpacks, and they continuously spawn wolves I use as cruise missiles to weaken barbs so the wolfpacks can feed.

So to sum it up, capturing animals is a good way to supplement your forces. And a couple of well promoted scouts, supplemented by suicide warriors, can do the trick until you get hunting. You trade in a warrior for a bear, or a stag. The animal-barb war causes wounded animals all the time, you just usually need to be patient. Even better, a wounded animal won a battle, so you can snag it with free XP, but before it promotes.

Maybe you all should add the difficulty level you are playing on when you complain/report about animals and barbs.

Maybe you all should add the difficulty level you are playing on when you complain/report about animals and barbs.

Monarch (moved down from Emperor to see if I could survive better).

I think the problem may just be the randomness of the spatial distribution of barbs vs animals. If you happen to have a lot of animals spawn near you, then they keep you safe for a long while. If you happen to have a lot more barbs spawn near you than animals, then the animals can't hold the barbs off for you.

I think there are two possible solutions to this issue.
1) Have the barbs spawn later than the animals. It doesn't have to be a lot later--15-20 turns would probably be enough for the animals to establish a presence.
2) Have defended barb lairs spawn at the same time as the animals, but hold off on the random barb unit spawns for 20 turns or so. These are the worst because they always spawn in pairs, and if 3 pairs converge, you can be sunk.

Cassiel is running theocracy in my game. Seems odd really. ;) (I want to spread Ashen Veil in their cities... :() (Still on 6.2... really want to win this high to low game! :))

By the way, is there any advanced terraforming for hell terrain?

E.g. desert turns to burning sands - will spring turn it to the hell equivalent of plains etc? (Same with the nature 3 spell)

Cassiel just tries to build the Altar ;) and theocracy is the only way for him

Then find him another way! :p An agnostic can't do theocracy. It's kind of against the definition of agnostic! :lol:

(I'm bitter because of the 4 civs near me, 2 hate me and won't give open borders, and the other two are theocratic... :()

I think the problem may just be the randomness of the spatial distribution of barbs vs animals. If you happen to have a lot of animals spawn near you, then they keep you safe for a long while. If you happen to have a lot more barbs spawn near you than animals, then the animals can't hold the barbs off for you.

I really wanted to get at least one Amurite game past the early game, so I WB-deleted most of the first wave of skellies and wolf riders. It's exactly as I thought: if you can survive that initial barb assault right after they spawn, when you have only 4-5 warriors (or 2-3, if you've built a worker), then enough animals spawn to keep you safe (except from the animals themselves, as Gekko says). But surviving that assault can be a 50-50 proposition sometimes--and I think those odds get worse in certain terrain, like deserts.

Are the barbs scaled for map size? I was testing a game and on Dual Pangaea map and by about turn 30, I was surrounded by animal lairs (tigers, stags, sabertooths and gorillas =) oh my!!!). That is not including the lairs, but I didn't have a problem with those as I had the barb trait.

Also it seems a little over powered for the Doviello to get all those free promos when they kill animals. Personally I would stick with just the mark promos. But that may just be that too many animals were spawning on the dual Pangaea map, nice just sitting in cities while enraged tigers gave free promos =).

so there are too many barbs between turn 20 and 50 (normal speed)?

The problem is due to the more self-preserving behaviour of the barbs in Wildmana. In this turn range you normally start to build improvements, and if the barbs are not suiciding, they tend to pillage or chase workers. And in turn 30 you have either a worker or enough warriors to protect it and the fruits of its labouring.
Its much easier to just build a handful of warriors while growing the capital to a reasonable size and beelining mysticism, and after the barbstorm is over, you pump out a few workers.

I'm playing normal speed on MountainCoast standard size/Emperor, and usually getting an assault of barbs around turn 30. The barbs are vanishig around turn 60 (probably all eaten by animals) then there is a lull of maybe 20 turns after which the invasion of rabid critters begin. The animals less annoyíng, as they cannot pillage. (Played up to 6.3)

what do you mean with 8. ? I would like to reproduce the problem so I can fix it.

I noticed that the AI sends its reborns/ immortals (after them being reborn) into battle without waiting to let them heal.

And I noticed that the human player (me) tends to send his immortals into suicide missions, as they will reappear, but the AI does not use them that way.

If units gain the 2nd held promotion (that with +10% turning off) upon revival, both problems would be reduced, as the AI's units get a few turns to heal and the human player cannot use his/her units again immediatlely.

It felt fine for me as well, playing Noble with all Challenge gameoptions on. I really, really like how even with those gameoptions you have some time to explore with scouts before the world starts getting overrun. I still think Animals should be able to enter civilised territory though, BUT only attack cities if enraged.

Top Bottom