WildWest Mapscript

TC01

Deity
The WildWest.py script as it stands has only altered a few minor things, like fixing some syntax and reverting worldsizes to Colonization default (otherwise, my huge map was laughably small. I wish I had taken a screenshot). The patch 0.23 version has added in light forest and marsh feature and terrain to this script. However, it's by no means a finished product.

With v0.3 we've added in your Home City on the map, as well as a land start.

Several people have mentioned reworking rivers, to the point where your ships can travel on rivers (adding Steamboats, that sort of thing), with bridges being buildable. I like this idea, but we're focusing on trains moreso then on rivers and steamboats at the moment.

If you have any suggestions about what should be added to WildWest, if there should be something changed or removed, if we should add more mapscripts covering different parts of the region... post them here.

Well, aside from light forest, here are my impressions:

This probably counts as "planned" but there's no land link to the homelands, everyone appears in the Gulf of Mexico.

There's no West Coast, no California nor Oregon territory ... the map seems to generate the Plains only and ends at the Rockies.

And of course, area-appropriate Native tribes.

Well, area-appropriate native tribes don't exist in any Colonization game, but yes, I'm going to add in the native civs you mentioned in the other thread and remove the Aztecs, Inca, etc.

I've discovered that it is possible to drop a "Europe" tile on a land tile and "Sail to Europe" using a Wagon or Locomotive. So a land link is doable without the Home Cities on Map stuff (the plan was to add your home city so you could link a railroad to it and travel back and forth. Before, I was going to wait till 0.3 before adding this, but now I may be able to do it much easier without complicated game core coding.

California/Oregon/West Coast is going to be added as soon as I figure out how to do it. Should I cut the green eastern region? Or should I just make everything a little thinner?

California/Oregon/West Coast is going to be added as soon as I figure out how to do it. Should I cut the green eastern region? Or should I just make everything a little thinner?

I would have thought the green eastern region would be the Mississippi valley starting point, but I'm not sure what you intended for an eastern starting point. I think the Mississippi river area would be a good start.

I'm not a coder and having figured out this modding stuff, but trying to anticipate, I think you might have to find a way to adjust the AI so it no longer thinks it has to have a starting city on the coastline and it knows it can build a road/rail to its homeland. Dunno if you already considered that.

Yes, I would think that the mississippi river would be the starting point you should look for.

Yes, that was the area intended for a starting point.

I'll reduce the size of all areas on the map slightly so I have room for another green area (western coast) and the Pacific.

Attached is a screen capture of the fatal error I get when trying to run this mod.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 393
Attached is a screen capture of the fatal error I get when trying to run this mod.

Strange. I've never gotten this. I do have some questions, though:

a. Does this error occur during initializing XML or somewhere else?
b. Do you have the v1.01f patch installed for Civ 4 Col?

c. Do you get the error after installing v0.2?
d. Do you get the error after installing the v0.22 patch?
e. Do you get the error after installing the beta of the mapscript?

I'm opening a new Bug Thread for people to post bugs (this was intended only for mapscript issues), but if you installed everything at once I'd suggest trying v0.2 first and then adding v0.22.

Anyone else ran into this error?

a. Does this error occur during initializing XML or somewhere else? yes, while initializing.
b. Do you have the v1.01f patch installed for Civ 4 Col. I don't know.

c. Do you get the error after installing v0.2? Yes.
d. Do you get the error after installing the v0.22 patch? Yes.
e. Do you get the error after installing the beta of the mapscript? No. What exactly is a map script?

Mapscript: A_New_World and Caribbean are two mapscripts for Colonization. A mapscript is a randomly generated map, generated by python code, that you can select from when starting a game. WildWest.py is a modified mapscript for WestwardHo, and what this thread is about, which is why I assumed it might be related to that.

To check if you have the patch installed, load up Colonization and go to Advanced->About this Build. You should see: "Colonization Version:" at the top of the new popup that appears. If it says "101" then you have the patch. If it says "100" you don't have the patch.

If you don't, you can get it here. Don't use the in-game updater, it doesn't always work.

I don't have the patch. Do you think I should get it?

I don't have the patch. Do you think I should get it?

Yes, you probably should. That may fix your issue. It also fixes a lot of bugs in the game and is necessary for many mods on the forums.

I patched it and it works. How do I build railroads?

I patched it and it works. How do I build railroads?

All Homesteader units (Colonists) have the ability to build a railroad. Cities can build Locomotives, which can then travel on them.

Wow, it works well! The animation is nice too.

With the release of patch 0.23, I've added the following things to this version of the mapscript:

-Light Forest
-Marsh

More stuff will be on the v0.3 version.

Top Bottom