Will Asians dominate CFC?

Who's Asian?

• I am fully Asian (Indian and Russian counts too)

Votes: 21 13.6%
  • I am 1/2 Asian

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I am 1/4 Asian

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I of between 0 and 1/4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not Asian.

Votes: 129 83.8%

• Total voters
You didn't miss anything and you know it, it's indicative of general racial habits to distinguish those who look different into sub groups thus we have Arabs, Jews(almost white:)) Russians(European pretty much as they are white) Indians, and then Asians(small of stature, with distinct facial differences and particular lack of body hair in certain ares, which tends to reinforce the idea of the original Indians of North and South America as being Asian due to the lack of the Enzyme to process alcahol existing in similar balance in both races and the chracteristic non hirsute but that's OT.

Anyway the point is Asians are people from the continent of Asia no matter how much you may think otherwise :)

Well, defining continents is quite difficult, is it not? Let's have another poll with Eurasians versus others. I wonder how I'm supposed to classify myself then. By where I live or where my ancestry is :crazyeye:

Abgar said:
I am not if I am Asian. Does Armenian count as Asian? If so, then I am 1/4 asian.
Isn't Armenia in Asia?

No defining continents is incredibly easy the continental plate of Asia and the Continental plate of Europe and the continental plate of Africa, and the continental plate of Australia, funnily enough all the countries that fall on whatever plate are of that continent, what isn't easy is peoples will to divorce language from reality over time :)

Eurasia is not a continent it is two continents. Ie all OF Europe and Asia

You are an American but your ancestry is indeginous Nepalese IIRC, therefore you are North American atm(nationality wise, if not legally) Unless your Jewish which I somehow doubt in which case country of origin is irrelevant.

However feel free to classify yourself as a Nepalese American. :)

Actually as far as I know India is on a different plate from everyone else.

EDIT: good point though, I'd forgotten the exact layourt of plates, but essentially speaking continents are to which plate you rest on + some politics and geographical convenience.

Sidhe said:
No defining continents is incredibly easy the continental plate of Asia and the Continental plate of Europe and the continental plate of Africa, and the continental plate of Australia, funnily enough all the countries that fall on whatever plate are of that continent, what isn't easy is peoples will to divorce language from reality over time :)

Eurasia is not a continent it is two continents. Ie all OF Europe and Asia

Where would you put the border between Europe and Asia?
Almost everyone says at the Ural Mountains, and 90 - 95% of all Russians live west of these mountains. How can (as you said in an earlier post) Russia then be Asian?

kingjoshi said:
Isn't Armenia in Asia?
Well it is on the border of Europe and Asia, and the borders aren't really that defined for the southern border. My atlas puts Armenia in the Europe section (maybe because it is old and Armenia was part of the U.S.S.R.), instead of in Asia.

oagersnap said:
Where would you put the border between Europe and Asia?
Almost everyone says at the Ural Mountains, and 90 - 95% of all Russians live west of these mountains. How can (as you said in an earlier post) Russia then be Asian?

Souron said:
I'm russian, but I am not Asian in any way. I was born in Moscow.
In fact I have never been to asia.

http://worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/asia/jo.htm

Both of you need to learn the definition of Asian, I.e an inhabitent of the continent of Asia, not what you believe it to be.

Of course cultural influences mean we tend to say Russia is non asian, but strictly speaking it is.

A·sian

Of or relating to Asia or its peoples, languages, or cultures.

n.

1. A native or inhabitant of Asia.
2. A person of Asian descent.

Usage Note: Asia is the largest of the continents with more than half the world's population. Though strictly speaking all of its inhabitants are Asians, in practice this term is applied almost exclusively to the peoples of East, Southeast, and South Asia as opposed to those of Southwest Asiasuch as Arabs, Turks, Iranians, and Kurdswho are more usually designated Middle or Near Easterners. Indonesians and Filipinos are properly termed Asian, since their island groups are considered part of the Asian continent, but not the Melanesians, Micronesians, and Polynesians of the central and southern Pacific, who are now often referred to collectively as Pacific Islanders. See Usage Note at Oriental.

That should clear it up :) :lol:

Generally, people would consider Armenia in Asia. Russia is classified in BOTH Europe and Asia. As the image shows, the continents are not easy to separate. It's the "political and cultural" separations that make it ambiguous for that region. Hence, a Eurasian continent makes the most sense, since the other continents are mostly fine.

Sidhe said:
http://worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/asia/jo.htm

Both of you need to learn the definition of Asian, I.e an inhabitent of the continent of Asia, not what you believe it to be.

Of course cultural influences mean we tend to say Russia is non asian, but strictly speaking it is.

On that map (as I said in my previous post), the most populated part of Russia is not in Asian territory, it's west of the green line, in the area marked as "Europe".
Thus, by far the most Russians are Europeans, not Asians, both geographically and culturally speaking.

Sidhe said:
A·sian

Of or relating to Asia or its peoples, languages, or cultures.

n.

1. A native or inhabitant of Asia.
2. A person of Asian descent.

Usage Note: Asia is the largest of the continents with more than half the world's population. Though strictly speaking all of its inhabitants are Asians, in practice this term is applied almost exclusively to the peoples of East, Southeast, and South Asia as opposed to those of Southwest Asiasuch as Arabs, Turks, Iranians, and Kurdswho are more usually designated Middle or Near Easterners. Indonesians and Filipinos are properly termed Asian, since their island groups are considered part of the Asian continent, but not the Melanesians, Micronesians, and Polynesians of the central and southern Pacific, who are now often referred to collectively as Pacific Islanders. See Usage Note at Oriental.

That should clear it up :) :lol:

No, it doesn't, because

A: The article doesn't mention anything about Russia or Russians.

B: Russia (the most populated part) isn't part of Asia (see my post above).

I think if we applied that to Eurasia, we'd kick butt. Are you living in Eurasia or is any of your ancestry from Eurasia? We'd have quite a lot of people :D

oagersnap said:
On that map (as I said in my previous post), the most populated part of Russia is not in Asian territory, it's west of the green line, in the area marked as "Europe".
Thus, by far the most Russians are Europeans, not Asians, both geographically and culturally speaking.

Well in that case I guess that Eastern russia is a seperate country, have you told the millions of people living their they are not russian yet or are you keeping that secret. Some parts of Russia are on the continent of Asia so technically you are Asians but I didn acknowledge in the last post that political redefinition has labled Russia although it lies on the Asian continent in it's entirity(although not entirely), thus I said strictly speaking you are Asian, what politics says though is another matter. If you want to argue with the map by all means go ahead but the fact is your on the asian continent and theirs nothing you can do about it. You might call yourself European but technically you are also Asian, but as I said this is strictly speaking not literally speaking, even if the politics don't reflect reality, you are still accurate in saying Russia or at least part of it has been shifted into being European despite this not actually being the scientific case as the country as a whole technically speaking is Eurasian.

I guess your post went up before the definition came in, I like this thread I've learnt more today in half an hour than I did in the whole of last week :D My God I'm acolossal geek :eek:

Oh and when Asian populations of 56% are calculated but not always, they include some of Russia if they are accurate and none of Russia if they are political and thus innacurate:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia

Population statistics tend to take the old fashioned scientific map which means you guys get lumped in part with the rest of Asia however of course, as this article clearly shows, Russia although it lies somewhat in Asia has a totally European population as the statistics for Northern Asia are non existent, which has gotta make you laugh, politics is a strange beast.

Sidhe said:
Well in that case I guess that Eastern russia is a seperate country, have you told the millions of people living their they are not russian yet or are you keeping that secret. Both parts of Russia are on the continent of Asia so technically you are Asians but I didn acknowledge in the last post that political redefinition has labled Russia although it lies on the Asian continent in it's entirity, thus I said strictly speaking you are Asian, what politics says though is another matter. If you want to argue with the map by all means go ahead but the fact is your on the asian continent and theirs nothing you can do about it. You might call yourself European but technically you are also Asian, but as I said this is strictly speaking not literally speaking, even if the politics don't reflect reality, you are still accurate in saying Russia or at least part of it has been shifted into being European despite this not actually being the scientific case.

I guess your post went up before the definition came in, I like this thread I've learnt more today in half an hour than I did in the whole of last week :D My God I'm acolossal geek :eek:

Oh and when Asian populations of 56% are calculated they include some of Russia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia

Population statistics tend to take the old fashioned scientific map which means you guys get lumped in part with the rest of Asia.

Am I Asian? Well I guess Europe doesn't exist then; I'm from Denmark and have always seen myself as a European.
So I guess I made a mistake by voting in the poll that I'm not Asian.
Anyway, can you find proof that no part of Russia is in Europe? I'd like to find out what territory Asia covers in your opinion.

I am from Europe. I could be Asian if it makes the thread author uncomfortable.

Someone with power, please change the horrible topic title.

Also, Russia covers territory in Asia AND Europe.

But given that the author of the thread is from the US, I suppose it is too much to ask for knowledge in basic geography

oagersnap said:
Am I Asian? Well I guess Europe doesn't exist then; I'm from Denmark and have always seen myself as a European.
So I guess I made a mistake by voting in the poll that I'm not Asian.
Anyway, can you find proof that no part of Russia is in Europe? I'd like to find out what territory Asia covers in your opinion.

Well I'm not going to repeat myself I just told you that Russia spans both asia and Europe thus it is not a European or an Asian country but both? If that's not clear enough then I give up.

Sidhe, a reply that comments on Russia as being strictly in Asia, might be pointing towards US ignorance, rather than neglecting to read your post.

Sidhe said:
Well I'm not going to repeat myself I just told you that Russia spans both asia and Europe thus it is not a European or an Asian country but both? If that's not clear enough then I give up.

You said that Russia is only on the Asian Continent:

Sidhe said:
I didn acknowledge in the last post that political redefinition has labled Russia although it lies on the Asian continent in it's entirity

I say that the border between Asia and Europe is the Ural Mountains, thus the western part of Russia is European, and the eastern part is Asian.

Now you say that Russia is on both the Asian and European continents, and that it's:
not a European or an Asian country but both

That's good, maybe we finally agree? I say that all Russians, who live west of the Ural Mountains (which is clearly the majority) are Europeans, and the Russians who live east of the Ural mountains are Asians, do you agree?

If that is correct, then the original poster of this thread is mistaken by counting all Russians as Asians, because nearly all Russians live west of Ural and are thus Europeans, right?

Yes I agree this is clearly a misunderstanding and the language although clear enough if you look at it can be misinterprited as ambiguous.

Top Bottom